Parents Why does our gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peachy88

Proud Parent
refuse to do stations? Is this a newer idea? Are they just lazy? I am so confused why they refuse to do this. Our only Level 5 went to a camp that had stations and she tries to set up things for herself to do between routines and the coach tells her not to. I understand that they may feel undermined, but that gymnast wants to get better and do more conditioning and shaping drills. (Which they do VERY little of) They spend at least half of their time watching girls do routines, waiting in line, or taking a snack break. Just wish I could sit back, relax, and feel like our girls are being taught well. The one major benefit of the gym? They coaches are loving, supportive, and all of the team girls are wonderful human beings that treat each other with kindness. Maybe that is worth it?

You describe DD first gym. We left for "better gymnastics". I am not sure how it will turn out as it has only 1 year and 5 months. I feel for your dilemma, I would love to find both loving and quality gymnastics.

You describe DD first gym. We left for "better gymnastics". I am not sure how it will turn out as it has only 1 year and 5 months. I feel for your dilemma, I would love to find both loving and quality gymnastics.

I am very interested in following your story! It seems like there should be a great balance point between the two...

Just to be clear I am only a dad trying to help his little one meet some dreams and goals she has set for herself. This is Her story her Sport. If anything changes everyone here will surely help in the decision making.

Just to be clear I am only a dad trying to help his little one meet some dreams and goals she has set for herself. This is Her story her Sport. If anything changes everyone here will surely help in the decision making.

I was the one who probably wasn’t clear. I know you’re a dad :) but you are a dad on a journey with your child helping them. It is hard to support young ones with their dreams. To help them achieve their goals but also achieve the goals we are all striving for of being great people.

I will say that our gym does this sometimes. I find it frustrating and not as productive but on the flip side in watching routines they can see the corrections that need to be made and benefit from others mistakes *if* they pay attention which is not always the case. I don't like these days lol, so I am glad we do a lot more drills and stations now than they used to. I would say the use of stations also in part depends on the group size. Larger groups need stations so they dont stand around. If its a smaller group they may not need as many stations and will likely get more reps with the coaches being hands on which I think can be better than doing stations on your own where you may not be doing it correctly or be putting in maximum effort. If you have a larger group and there is significant standing around I would share your frustrations.

I will say that our gym does this sometimes. I find it frustrating and not as productive but on the flip side in watching routines they can see the corrections that need to be made and benefit from others mistakes *if* they pay attention which is not always the case. I don't like these days lol, so I am glad we do a lot more drills and stations now than they used to. I would say the use of stations also in part depends on the group size. Larger groups need stations so they dont stand around. If its a smaller group they may not need as many stations and will likely get more reps with the coaches being hands on which I think can be better than doing stations on your own where you may not be doing it correctly or be putting in maximum effort. If you have a larger group and there is significant standing around I would share your frustrations.

They are very large groups. 20 girls for two coaches. All of the parents are frustrated but the coach is not open to any discussion. They work on new skills by basically trying, get a spot, try try try, get a spot, etc. for example, for vault, they run and do the vault. Stand in line. Run and do th vault 9 turns later. Stand in line.

As an educator I do think there is some benefit in watching on a semi regular basis but we’re talking every practice.

I would not be ok with that just from the perspective of its not the best use of her time. If my kid is spending hours away from home (family, homework, friends, other activities--not to mention all the $$$) I want it to be productive, I would want the most bang for my buck. We have 7-11 per group one coach for each event (so one coach with the group at a time) but we have multiple stations for each event usually 3-4 stations. Some are conditioning focused, some are shapes/drills, and one is where the coach is primarily helping and coaching (but they do keep an eye on stations and offer corrections to those at the stations). If your daughter is happy at this stage I think you are fine but in the long run I am not sure how effective this will be.

You were very clear. I wanted you to know you are not alone with your thoughts. I do what I can as a dad but her gymnastics has to come from her, for her reasons. She does not share feelings ofbself. I do what I can it is a terrible thing to feel helpless one day and over invlovled the next.

Hmm is this across the board in your gym? Sometimes I feel our coaches are doing too much stations (when I see the girls giving minimal effoelrt or not doing it correctly) but overall I find the younger kids do less stations- which makes sense to me, as the littles generally can't remember and correctly execute too many things in a row.

Also I think that at your daughter's age (she is 5, right?) the loving atmosphere and kind team mates are more important. This is how she will grow a strong connection and positive associations with gym.
And as she grows older, where that balance should be will depend on her. I have one very sensitive dd and having kind and supportive people around her is very important. Her gymnastics suffers when she is in a group with strong or pushy personalities. Her younger sister is the complete opposite and needs a firmer hand...

Gymnastics owners and coaches are not going to change their programs and coaching techniques based on parent suggestion. I would look for a program that is more what you are looking for. Our gym does lots of stations most of the year, but more training with focus on routines, turn taking and watching during meet season. She is 12 though, and I haven't watched a practice in 3 years, so their approach may be different in optional than it was in compulsories. Parents watching and criticizing in the wings doesn't sound like a good environment for anyone, so I would find a new gym that meets your needs.

Gymnastics owners and coaches are not going to change their programs and coaching techniques based on parent suggestion. I would look for a program that is more what you are looking for. Our gym does lots of stations most of the year, but more training with focus on routines, turn taking and watching during meet season. She is 12 though, and I haven't watched a practice in 3 years, so their approach may be different in optional than it was in compulsories. Parents watching and criticizing in the wings doesn't sound like a good environment for anyone, so I would find a new gym that meets your needs.
I don't realize we were talking about a 5 year old. Perhaps the coaches want them to develop proper technique and shapes which requires them to coach one child at a time. And there can be safety issues with kids scattered at stations at that age

She is 6 now but the team is 7-12 year olds. I actually think it is more hazardous to have them just waiting though instead of keeping them occupied because they start to goof off or make poor choices.

Yes I agree parents complaining to each other is not healthy and if there was a simple solution I would have found it by now, but aside from driving a long distance there isn’t. For other reasons our family is looking to move to a more diverse city that I happen to know has more gym options but there are not any good options in this area.

Also I think that at your daughter's age (she is 5, right?) the loving atmosphere and kind team mates are more important. This is how she will grow a strong connection and positive associations with gym.
And as she grows older, where that balance should be will depend on her. I have one very sensitive dd and having kind and supportive people around her is very important. Her gymnastics suffers when she is in a group with strong or pushy personalities. Her younger sister is the complete opposite and needs a firmer hand...

It is hard to know what your kid needs at this age because they can’t communicate as well and don’t know how to advocate for themselves and don’t know what they don’t know. Parenting is hard in general. Not looking forward to those teenage years ;)

My original post was seriously inquiring if there was logic behind not doing stations.

As a coach of younger children who are serious about their gymnastics (preteam, TOPs and L3 mainly) I absolutely rely on stations and drill to keep the girls occupied and doing something worthwhile as we are working on events. I like to keep them constantly moving with bits and pieces of skills or strength as side stations and keep the “important” skill work for hands on spotting with a coach. It all adds up though as all stations bring their little piece to the full skill.
I work with similar group sizes, around 20 kids w 2 coaches for L3, 3-4 coaches for preteam.

As a coach of younger children who are serious about their gymnastics (preteam, TOPs and L3 mainly) I absolutely rely on stations and drill to keep the girls occupied and doing something worthwhile as we are working on events. I like to keep them constantly moving with bits and pieces of skills or strength as side stations and keep the “important” skill work for hands on spotting with a coach. It all adds up though as all stations bring their little piece to the full skill.
I work with similar group sizes, around 20 kids w 2 coaches for L3, 3-4 coaches for preteam.

Can we go to your gym ;)

I must agree that I wouldn’t be super thrilled to pay all that money for what sounds like a lot of standing around. I do agree at that age a good environment and supportive coaches are very important, but i think you can have a mix of that and a productive practice as well. Our gym has wonderful, supportive coaches and there is little to zero downtime ever....they are always working on stations and depending on the coach, she is either at one station correcting or generally watching/correcting them all. The only exception I can think of is when they are doing skill or physical abilities testing and routine verification.

That's exactly what they do at my daughter's gym with her team (they are level 3.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back