WAG Why Does Shawn Johnson Lie So Much In Her Speeches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

very much faking service person
Maybe this is a very American thing, but I truly believe in "fake it 'til you make it".

If I was tired and not feeling well, my classroom full of up to 36 adult students still wanted/needed a high-energy, engaging 6.5 hour class. I would paste a pleasant look on my face, and try to be energetic through my 10 min or so introductory morning routine. By the time we were ready to start the class material, I was feeling positive and energized and that was enough to get me through the day. If I hadn't "faked" the energy in the beginning of the day, it would have been a miserable interminable day for me and my students alike, not to mention that they probably wouldn't have learned as much.

Attitude (and happiness too for that matter) are a choice not a set of circumstances. I thinks it's rude, inconsiderate and selfish to be grumpy and full of negative energy when dealing with the public /costumers. Of course narcissists can't control their "all about me" focus which is why they are awful to be around when they are tired or grumpy or not getting their way.

However, some of the crusty critters out there are dealing with true hardship in the moment--mourning, sickness, etc... So I chose to smile in public even when I get a scowl in return. The kind eyes and smile of someone who smiles back is worth ignoring the reaction of the grumps. Haha in my neck of the woods I'm shocked by some of the well dressed gals who spend massive amounts on hair, clothes, spa, facial procedures and fitness classes...and then forget the least expensive and most beautiful accessory--which is replacing their scowl or sneer with a smile. They are free and bonus..contagious.

However, some of the crusty critters out there are dealing with true hardship in the moment--mourning, sickness, etc... So I chose to smile in public even when I get a scowl in return. The kind eyes and smile of someone who smiles back is worth ignoring the reaction of the grumps. Haha in my neck of the woods I'm shocked by some of the well dressed gals who spend massive amounts on hair, clothes, spa, facial procedures and fitness classes...and then forget the least expensive and most beautiful accessory--which is replacing their scowl or sneer with a smile. They are free and bonus..contagious.

One thing I will say about Shawn is that if she has ever been unpleasant in public, the times were definitely few and far between. It's almost impossible to find a photo or video of her without what looks like a sincere and genuine smile. Meanwhile Nastia gets caught in a lot of unfortunate photos snarling/sneering/scowling. It might not be intentional but it definitely affected her brand.

okay, it is definitly a cultural thing. in germany people would assume that someone saying that it is rude to be grumpy if you are feeling grumpy is a superficial and/or fake person. we tend to think about this as being kind of dishonest.

ad teaching in a grumpy mode: this is different. this is not service. this is education aka relationship work. a good teacher - at least we are taught this during teacher training here - needs to have a personal and meaningful connection to each student. in service you do not have to have that, you just need to perform your function, f.e. lock the appointment of the customer in or sell him whatever. in education everything is much more personal (coaching is education too in my book; it is not a service and absolutly not an "industry"). the kids will work for you if you work on this relationship. they will want to please you. They will work harder than average. they will follow your cues much more willingly. they will know you do care about them as an individual and a person which is much more than a sales person cares (and has to cae to do a great job) about the next customer among many on a personal level.

in education i usually tell my students (i am teacher working with year 5 to 13, currently around 350 kids) why i am grumpy today in an age appropriate way and they understand. just as i understand them if they are having a bad day and f.e. need to keep their hood on to feel safe (usually not allowed in my classroom) or do not activley participate in class (which i usually do not tolerate at all) because their mind is just in another place today. in my experience students value an authentic teacher everytime over a fake happy one. kids can tell.

...i think it is horrible if i as a customer get to interact with a cheerfull happy but very much faking service person who does so because she fears to loose her job if she dares to show her true feelings. this is what marx calls "entfremdung", not being yourself anymore because of economic necessities. i take a grumpy but honest service worker any time over a fake smiling fake happy one. anytime! perhaps also a cultural differnece thing, we germans are very much about being upfront and honest. we dislike fake.

It definitely is a cultural thing, especially in the south and the midwest. I was raised more with the Norwegian-American stoicism, where you just don't display emotion beyond a calm and pleasant demeanor, actually, so it never felt "fake".

Maybe this is a very American thing, but I truly believe in "fake it 'til you make it".

If I was tired and not feeling well, my classroom full of up to 36 adult students still wanted/needed a high-energy, engaging 6.5 hour class. I would paste a pleasant look on my face, and try to be energetic through my 10 min or so introductory morning routine. By the time we were ready to start the class material, I was feeling positive and energized and that was enough to get me through the day. If I hadn't "faked" the energy in the beginning of the day, it would have been a miserable interminable day for me and my students alike, not to mention that they probably wouldn't have learned as much.

This. Faking cheerfulness and smiling actually makes you feel more cheerful, according to at least two studies that I can't cite off the top of my head but can find if anyone cares. By throwing myself into work and "faking" happiness, I felt it more and it actually became a huge respite from thinking about all the things I was struggling with outside of work.

Shawn is definitely a smiley person, gotta give her that much.

Yes, I understand what you're saying.

My daughter has had "fake happy" teachers and you can definitely tell the kids understand that the feeling is inauthentic. I guess what most people are saying is instead of being "fake happy" those who work in a professional setting are expected to be polite, kind, and courteous, even if they're tired or just not feeling it that day. They may not be expected to be fake happy or bubbly or whatever, but polite and not rude is expected at a minimum.

i absoulty agree that being polite and not rude is of course expected of everyone whenever possible. in my book you can be very grumpy but still polite and and respectful. there are very, very few excuses in my training group and my classroom for being not polite or even downright rude aka not respectful. not acceptable, just not acceptable. but this is again very different from being grumpy because you are just having a bad day (assuming you do not have a bad day every day. if this is the case i think you need help from a psychologist, a doctor, a social worker perhaps just from a caring adult). i have very very few students who are sometimes not respectful and if this happens more than once (some feel the need to test the waters sometimes...) the kids always need an intervention as stated above in my experience (f.e. parents seperating at the moment, financial hardship at home, bullying victims, wrong school (too difficult for students cognitive abilities but parents pushing too hard anyway etc. _ all things kids can not be expected to deal with themselves because they are just kids). the point is - most people are not grumpy because they only think about themselves or do not care about you or whatever. they are just at the moment not able to function better than they are already doing. the solution to this is not making them feel bad because of their "bad attitude" but caring for them by accepting them the way they are at the moment. being happy is usually not a choice in my experience. you can not control feelings. you have feelings. life is hard for everyone so no point in making it even harder for others.

My daughter has had "fake happy" teachers and you can definitely tell the kids understand that the feeling is inauthentic.
Ah, the fake happy. That is almost worse than grumpy.

I tended to fake energy and a positive attitude more than a saccharin "happy", and only for about 10 minutes. I call it putting my years of high school theater to use

teaching in a grumpy mode: this is different. this is not service. this is education aka relationship work. a good teacher - at least we are taught this during teacher training here - needs to have a personal and meaningful connection to each student. in service you do not have to have that, you just need to perform your function, f.e. lock the appointment of the customer in or sell him whatever. in education everything is much more personal
Ah, my teaching was more of a service. I didn't really have an opportunity to develop a relationship with my students. They were one-day computer application classes. I has anywhere from 12-36 adult students for 6.5 hours.

I also spent 11 years in various roles in food service and retail. I found putting the need of the customer before my grumpiness of that day allowed me to be friendly and polite, which usually turned into me feeling more positive because of the interaction with customers.

A wise person once told me, treat your mind and body like the home of your soul. When a storm is coming and it' windy and raining, most of us don't throw open the windows and doors of our houses to let the storm wreak its havoc at will. Being emotionally smart can be kind of the same thing for your soul's home. You can be all over the place or you can do your best to choose when to let the breeze in, when to let stressors impact how you act, who to "let through the door" and how much to let emotional ups and downs determine who you are instead of being purposeful about it. One example is teaching your child if possible that the gym or the pool etc. are places that you should be able to leave your other "crap" at the door. If not, maybe it's not the right gym. My kids always have a shoulder to cry on at home, but at a competition is not the place, injuries excepted. That kind of stuff... Yep I'm from the Midwest and it likely shows. But dang you should have met my grandpa--hugged like piece of plywood.. I'm an improvement over that at least!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back