Parents Why don’t parents protest?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
I’ve just been reading yet another thread about the exorbitant cost of a gymnastics uniform, and I’ve got to wonder- why don’t parents band together and demand something more reasonable. Since I’ve seen all the comparison threads over the years, I know there is a HUGE range and some gyms are absolutely doing it affordably. Those gym’s girls go out and compete just as hard and probably do just as well. This isn’t rhythmic, and no one is judging bling or style.

I’m just surprised that more people aren’t demanding things be more reasonable. This year I flat out told my DD’s coach that she wouldn’t be wearing the team uniform. We just paid a ton of money for it last year, and the HC didn’t listen to our requested size so lo and behold it is already too small. I told her that I would be willing to buy any leo in the real colors that was $150 or less, but I wouldn’t be paying $300 for the same one so she could wear it exactly 3 more times. You know what? The coach told us ok. To order any one we wanted in the colors- which I did, for under $100. A previous gym of my YDD always brought all the choices for new leos to the kids/parents and let them choose. Yet another past gym took input on price vs bling.

I know that not all gyms would be that easy, but hasn’t anyone else tried to talk sense into their gym?

Realistically at my gym I think it would be like its this or you cant go out there to compete. I took issue with a TOPS leo they HAD to buy and wear this year for practice. It wasn't expensive (like $35) but I had gotten it for my daughter before and she had an allergic reaction (broke out in hives within 30 minutes of putting it on) so I returned it. When it became mandatory I said can I just get one that is EXACT same color (only difference is no small logo on front and from different manufacturer) the same they said no--and if she has an allergic reaction again she can buy a nude liner leo to wear under the real leo. And this is just for practice at the gym. I was not thrilled but luckily when I got the new leo I washed it and it didn't cause an issue but how stubborn they were about making her wear this to practice when it potentially could be a problem rubbed me the wrong way. If she had another allergic reaction to it though I would have just put her in the leo I bought that looks like theirs--no way would I put her in a nude liner leo under her leo and risk her having hives every time she wore it. If they made a big deal about it I would have just pulled her from TOPS. But they are sticklers about that kind of thing.

Realistically at my gym I think it would be like its this or you cant go out there to compete. I took issue with a TOPS leo they HAD to buy and wear this year for practice. It wasn't expensive (like $35) but I had gotten it for my daughter before and she had an allergic reaction (broke out in hives within 30 minutes of putting it on) so I returned it. When it became mandatory I said can I just get one that is EXACT same color (only difference is no small logo on front and from different manufacturer) the same they said no--and if she has an allergic reaction again she can buy a nude liner leo to wear under the real leo. And this is just for practice at the gym. I was not thrilled but luckily when I got the new leo I washed it and it didn't cause an issue but how stubborn they were about making her wear this to practice when it potentially could be a problem rubbed me the wrong way. If she had another allergic reaction to it though I would have just put her in the leo I bought that looks like theirs--no way would I put her in a nude liner leo under her leo and risk her having hives every time she wore it. If they made a big deal about it I would have just pulled her from TOPS. But they are sticklers about that kind of thing.
Ok, but do you think they would dig in if every single parent refused? I mean, I just don’t think gym parents wield their consumer power the right way sometimes. Things like that at your gym are just downright ludicrous.

I think the problem is that you are never going to get 100% of the people to agree to protest. Some want the leo with more bling and don’t mind paying. Some don’t want to be the squeaky wheel. Some don’t care enough to make a fuss. Some may feel they have no other choice and don’t want to be kicked off the team.

A few will speak up, but most won’t, so the gym will see it as not that big of a deal.

If I had my way, my dd would be able to compete in a Leo that is comfortable and practical while still looking nice. That would eliminate the trends that most gyms in our area like: backless, mesh, crazy amounts of bling, high cut, etc. And, I hugely dislike paying something like $500 for a Leo that they wear about 5 times. Dd’s Leo might be the most expensive clothing item in my closet, dead serious.

Luckily, our coach IS a little price conscious.
ONE TIME, she told the girls to pick their favorite design from the new GK catalog because our old leo was discontinued. Every girl voted for her top 3 choices. The coach wrote them all down and tallied how many wanted each one. Then she looked at the prices. She eliminated all the leotards over $150 immediately. Then she took the top 4 choices, made mock ups in our colors and printed them out. Then there was another vote where each girl voted once. The coach had a revote the next practice on the top 2 choices... this time, also listing the prices. The girls voted for the more expensive one.
They were "professionally sized by a GK rep... who said that would be a "great choice" ... they made it special order (so over $150 for those needing a new one) the next season (and discontinued it as of Dec. 1 that year). The rep convinced HC to go against my recommendation on YG's size and we SHOULD have gotten her a new one in year 2, but could get away with it early in the season. By the end of the season (she had a "last chance qualifier" meet in April), after 30 minutes in the leotard, I literally had to PEEL it off her and there were marks where EVERY seam was! That was years ago.
This year, we have a couple girls that may or may not compete. They can buy a leotard from mgoodguy (or anyone they choose) if they decide to compete. It just has to have dark blue on it and either light blue, gray, silver, or black. Just in case, I got one for one of them that cost $8. lol.

I agree parents should join together and protest leotards over a certain price (especially for low level compulsories or Xcel), but I think many are too scared to rock the boat.

I think that “too scared to rock the boat” pretty much covers all interactions between parents and gyms, sadly. I used to be right there. I once paid hundreds of dollars for a leo that I knew my DD had odds of NEVER wearing just because I was afraid to make waves. Looking back, I should’ve been splashing.

I’ve just been reading yet another thread about the exorbitant cost of a gymnastics uniform, and I’ve got to wonder- why don’t parents band together and demand something more reasonable. Since I’ve seen all the comparison threads over the years, I know there is a HUGE range and some gyms are absolutely doing it affordably. Those gym’s girls go out and compete just as hard and probably do just as well. This isn’t rhythmic, and no one is judging bling or style.

I’m just surprised that more people aren’t demanding things be more reasonable. This year I flat out told my DD’s coach that she wouldn’t be wearing the team uniform. We just paid a ton of money for it last year, and the HC didn’t listen to our requested size so lo and behold it is already too small. I told her that I would be willing to buy any leo in the real colors that was $150 or less, but I wouldn’t be paying $300 for the same one so she could wear it exactly 3 more times. You know what? The coach told us ok. To order any one we wanted in the colors- which I did, for under $100. A previous gym of my YDD always brought all the choices for new leos to the kids/parents and let them choose. Yet another past gym took input on price vs bling.

I know that not all gyms would be that easy, but hasn’t anyone else tried to talk sense into their gym?

You are my new favorite person. Our gym folded a few years ago and we competed for a new gym wearing our old leos with completely differ colors. Did it matter? Nope.

That would send me round the bend.

In any gym we were in , the price of the leo/warm up was noted on the papers we signed agreeing to be part of the team . In one gym, these leos were always $375+ , new every year , and I had 2 gymnasts....people squawked but seeing as the tuition was $500/month per kid, it didn't really surprise us that the owner wanted costly leos. If you didn't want to spend this kind of money (or didn’t have it), you didn't stay at this gym.

And I didn't think a team could have girls compete in different leos ...I remember some sort of deduction discussion when some of our team leos were delayed in arriving, but maybe that has changed....in any event, none of the gyms we were in would have allowed an alternate leo.

In any gym we were in , the price of the leo/warm up was noted on the papers we signed agreeing to be part of the team . In one gym, these leos were always $375+ , new every year , and I had 2 gymnasts....people squawked but seeing as the tuition was $500/month per kid, it didn't really surprise us that the owner wanted costly leos. If you didn't want to spend this kind of money (or didn’t have it), you didn't stay at this gym.

And I didn't think a team could have girls compete in different leos ...I remember some sort of deduction discussion when some of our team leos were delayed in arriving, but maybe that has changed....in any event, none of the gyms we were in would have allowed an alternate leo.
No, there isn’t a deduction. One gym my girls went to didn’t have a team leo at all. Everyone wore whatever one they wanted in the team colors. My DD still won states on an event. I just don’t get the hang up that coaches have on keeping up with the Jones in terms of uniforms. Fig hundred dollar tuition doesn’t seem all that far outside the norm to me, but you’re paying for something of more importance than the sparkles on a leo there.

ETA: on three of ten gyms we’ve been a part of had anything in writing before starting team.

Interesting conversation. DD's level 3 leo was stock GK. $60. Level 4 was $80 stock tank with a little bling. Her T&T leo was USED, $125, and second year the new one was $350. I was irritated. I get the optional girls getting big time leos. At every gym we've been at, the fancy blingy expensive leo was part of the rite of passage of getting to optionals.
Interesting thing now that she's in acro is the coaches pretty much let the families pick the trio/pair's leos and can set their own budgets based on what works for them. Since we need two this year for her, that's super helpful.

Interesting conversation. DD's level 3 leo was stock GK. $60. Level 4 was $80 stock tank with a little bling. Her T&T leo was USED, $125, and second year the new one was $350. I was irritated. I get the optional girls getting big time leos. At every gym we've been at, the fancy blingy expensive leo was part of the rite of passage of getting to optionals.
Interesting thing now that she's in acro is the coaches pretty much let the families pick the trio/pair's leos and can set their own budgets based on what works for them. Since we need two this year for her, that's super helpful.
For rhythmic it was the same. My DD’s two rhythmic leos cost $60 combined, new. Some of her teammates had thousands of dollars in custom leos. It was to each their own choice, and I really appreciated it.

In our gym, all levels wear the exact same leotard from L3-L8/9 and Xcel Silver-Platinum. No extra bling for the Optionals ... or it would suck for girls doing L5 and L6 the same season. ;) This year, the leotard is estimated to be $105 ... but may be lower with team discount.

I think our leos are reasonable, and they wear them for 2 years. We pay $350 for a leo, jacket, capris, and a bag. Our leos are always very sparkly, and everyone comments on how beautiful they are. Our owner has very classic, good taste in leotards. She also lets the seniors have a say in the new leotards. When I read the price of some gyms leotards only, my jaw hits the floor. Are they made of gold thread and have real diamonds on them or something?

I think our leos are reasonable, and they wear them for 2 years. We pay $350 for a leo, jacket, capris, and a bag. Our leos are always very sparkly, and everyone comments on how beautiful they are. Our owner has very classic, good taste in leotards. She also lets the seniors have a say in the new leotards. When I read the price of some gyms leotards only, my jaw hits the floor. Are they made of gold thread and have real diamonds on them or something?
We are at under $255 for leo, jacket, and bag ... pants are choose what you want in black... and the bag will be used "forever" ... the leotards are going on their 3rd year and as long as they aren't discontinued, we will probably have them even another year+ after this. If you wear a smaller size, you can usually get a used leo for $50 and jacket for $20, meaning you just have to buy (or not) a bag, lol.
Unfortunately, YG is an AME, but will probably be an AL next season and there are only 2 girls that have AL this year and they will probably continue to compete and may not grow anymore, lol.

Reactions: sce
I have no idea why parents don’t revolt.

I do. Just not a fan of because I said so and that’s what we have always done. Especially when I’m writing the check.

Last order was the most expensive leo we ever had at just over 200.

GK- which is pretty much all my kid wears so sizing her correctly is not a problem. It was too small. I refused to take it. GK swore it was the correct size. I refused to take it. Coach was freaking. I gues they could of said my kid couldn’t compete. I would of said Ok, saving me even more money.

GK still swore comp leo was fine but reluctantly sent a new one. I Bought a stock leo in gym colors, that one fit, same size as the comp leo that didn’t fit, while coach battled GK.

Other parents had the same issue. But squeezed their kids into the leos. Had to buy another the next season. And some buying again this season.

And next year will likely be a new leo. We got 2.5 seasons out of ours. Plus the much cheaper price of the stock leo. Well worth my revolt.

As to why more don’t. If they don’t revolt over coaching methods, traIning hours, meet schedules and all the other stuff. Leos are the least of it.

I think what's reasonable differs so much from parent to parent. With so many different income levels coming into the gym, what one thinks is expensive, is peanuts to someone else. Our gym tries to go middle of the road. Our leo price was less than $200 but only if we ordered before the end of August and using the bulk rate discount from GK. Our total price for someone new to team this year (second year of this leo), new warmup jacket (entire team - they alternate new leo's and warmups each year), leggings (though they didn't have to be ordered from GK, coach just said black capri's but many just order because it was easy), competition bag (again, only for new people and we keep the same bag for years). A new team member would be paying $333 for leo, leggings, warm up and competition bag. Our booster club gathers the payments and places the order - and I had a parent complain that she couldn't use her daughters old competition bag (she's coming from a different gym), not the same color, no logo etc because our coach doesn't specify what shoes the girls wear to awards - therefore in her mind we shouldn't be picking and choosing what matches and what doesn't. It just feels like you cannot win. On one hand, parent's were glad that their kids could wear whatever decent tennis shoe or slide they had and save money and another parent felt that if we didn't dictate everything, then we shouldn't dictate anything! (and for the record, HC makes final decision on all team attire and is fairly open to ideas and cost).

I think what's reasonable differs so much from parent to parent. With so many different income levels coming into the gym, what one thinks is expensive, is peanuts to someone else. Our gym tries to go middle of the road. Our leo price was less than $200 but only if we ordered before the end of August and using the bulk rate discount from GK. Our total price for someone new to team this year (second year of this leo), new warmup jacket (entire team - they alternate new leo's and warmups each year), leggings (though they didn't have to be ordered from GK, coach just said black capri's but many just order because it was easy), competition bag (again, only for new people and we keep the same bag for years). A new team member would be paying $333 for leo, leggings, warm up and competition bag. Our booster club gathers the payments and places the order - and I had a parent complain that she couldn't use her daughters old competition bag (she's coming from a different gym), not the same color, no logo etc because our coach doesn't specify what shoes the girls wear to awards - therefore in her mind we shouldn't be picking and choosing what matches and what doesn't. It just feels like you cannot win. On one hand, parent's were glad that their kids could wear whatever decent tennis shoe or slide they had and save money and another parent felt that if we didn't dictate everything, then we shouldn't dictate anything! (and for the record, HC makes final decision on all team attire and is fairly open to ideas and cost).
Why in the world do gyms go far enough to dictate shoes anyway? We’ve run across that ones- everyone had matching $150 sneakers. No freaking way that makes any sort of sense. Thank that is taking uniformity to military levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back