Parents Why don’t parents protest?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Why would reporting tax mean you have to do away with different prices? You could up the price by $1 per entry to cover the tax. So if you used to charge $5 & 10, now charge $6 & 11.

If your admissions sales at the end of the weekend are $2000, you pay your tax (whatever %...in my state it is 6%) on the $2000. It doesn’t matter how much of that came from child or adult admissions.

Or am I missing something?
It’s how we were advised to handle it this year.

It’s how we were advised to handle it this year.
Unless it is a per person tax, then it is not necessary to get rid of the different "tiers" of admission.
A per person tax, it would make more sense ... but most taxes are a % of the total and not a per person charge.

Unless it is a per person tax, then it is not necessary to get rid of the different "tiers" of admission.
A per person tax, it would make more sense ... but most taxes are a % of the total and not a per person charge.
We’ve been told we have to collect tax per “purchase”. It’s all new, and no one seems to have a clear answer so that’s how our early season meet has been told to handle the situation.

That shows a profit of $59 per athlete, unless I miscalculated. So with 300 girls (a small meet, in our experience) they’ve profited $17,000 on one weekend, and it goes up from there with more girls. That’s without door charges, raffles, concessions, kick back from vendors, etc. They’re not exactly losing money here. If they’re not making any money- and I’ve seen the numbers for a booster that made almost no money at all for meets (they were the host, not the gym)- then they are doing something wrong (in their case overpaying to rent the gym as it was held in house- but hey, the gym still made a profit). I guess the debate then becomes how much profit do they need to make it worth it. That’s a moving target, obviously. Anyway, I’m done with the meet fee debate because it’s all opinions and we could go round and round forever.

I initially started this post because I believe that uniforms and their costs have gone off the rails. To turn it into meets cost money and I’m just a mean cheapo who wants gymnastics to be free, well that’s just silly. I don’t have decades of dealing with this sport or anything, but I have had a wildly varied experience across many gyms in three states and two regions. Seeing the differences within one place and from place to place firsthand has been eye opening as to how much more cheaply things can be done (since I’ve experienced them). That’s it. I’ve never wanted owners or coaches to starve or anything, just consider that for frivolous things like leos and shoes and bags, spending so much money just because they want to keep up with trends or because they think bling is a competitive advantage- or just because they thing it’s pretty- that comes out of my budget and effects my family. Keeping it simple and less expensive affects no one negatively. That’s all I got.
Those were just things i could estimate, not the items like insurance, renting equipment, etc. I would think its no where more than $20 in profit per kid, so to make it worth while, spectators need to pay or no one would host!
State meets have regulated prices and it seems it is more or a "not it!" rather than gyms begging to host states and such. It is a lot of work and without entrance fees it probly doesn't make sense to host.

Disclosure: my girls are at a Y. The coaches do everything they can to keep the program affordable.

We are beginning our 5th year of the same leo. They’re not the fanciest or the most blingy around, but aren’t ugly or cheap looking. New is about $170, buying a used is about $80.

Of course, there are parents who complain about the leos being boring, until they learn how much a full bling leo would cost.

Getting back to the cost of comp leos, I wonder if we will see a price increase with GK releasing the new crystals that are supposed to sparkle even more. I gotta imagine there’s going to be a nice price tag with those.

I really hope not. Our gym has been fairly reasonable so far. Our bags stay the same and were a one time purchase. The warm ups have also stayed the same so it’s possible to buy used from older team members. Our Leo this year was $200 and we keep them for two years. I can live with $100 a year.

They are probably doing that because Ozone's gems outsparkle everyone's, so now GK has to keep up, LOL! Every meet I've judged, the sparkliest leos are always from Ozone. I check them to make sure, because I've been doing an informal survey in my head to see if my theory was right about it. I have even thought someone was using a flash and turned to look and it was an Ozone leo sparkling. :p

No. The only other place I’ve ever paid a fee to watch a child’s activity is the arts: a play or a ballet. The costs vary wildly there as well, as I’ve paid between $2 and $30 per ticket.

It's at least $8/adult $5/child for every baseball tournament my son is in.

It's at least $8/adult $5/child for every baseball tournament my son is in.
I’ve seen others post similar. I find it so strange! Through middle school my girls did cheer, soccer, swimming, track.. I’ve never paid to watch anything. They’ve gone to local high school sports events here and haven’t paid either. I guess we’ve always just lucked out (seriously lucked out because I’m talking three different states here). So strange.

I’ve seen others post similar. I find it so strange! Through middle school my girls did cheer, soccer, swimming, track.. I’ve never paid to watch anything. They’ve gone to local high school sports events here and haven’t paid either. I guess we’ve always just lucked out (seriously lucked out because I’m talking three different states here). So strange.
Travel ball is it's own animal. Soccer has always been free - but then neither of my kids played competitive, always rec.

I've learned to just always show up with money anymore. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to much - some things we pay to get into, some things are free, some charge for parking (I'm talking sports outside of gymnastics). I'm just in the habit when I'm going to a sporting event to have $20 in cash just in case and hope it's enough for whatever they're charging!

I've learned to just always show up with money anymore. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to much - some things we pay to get into, some things are free, some charge for parking (I'm talking sports outside of gymnastics). I'm just in the habit when I'm going to a sporting event to have $20 in cash just in case and hope it's enough for whatever they're charging!

Same here, except that I try to have at least $60 in case admission is $20/parent ($40 for both of us).

I voiced my concern this year and was told it was mandatory if my dd wanted to compete. $300 for a leotard that she may wear 10 times is ridiculous to me. Other parents told me they felt the same. When I mentioned my concern to the gym owner, he contacted parents and they said they had no problem. Some conversations I had face to face, others via text so I have proof of their concerns. But it’s not worth it to “prove” that they were being dishonest with either the gym owner or me. I have no idea why people won’t speak up about their concerns and it really bothers me. I’m all for voting and being democratic so if a majority wanted whatever, I would go along with it. Coach won’t even allow gymnast or parent voice and it’s very disheartening.

I've been thinking more about things and realized, it's not just gymnastics. My friends with competitive cheer girls have absolutely zero say in their competition gear. From how their hair is done, make up, hair bows, shoes, socks and cheerleading uniform (which are pretty darn pricey as well). They also (at least the ones I'm familiar with) dictate what they wear to practice (as in, you must purchase this package of bootie shorts, sports bra, t-shirt, and hair bow - because that darn hair bow is essential to a quality practice...)! I guess I would hope gyms are mindful of just how much and what they're asking people to spend but I also understand that the spectrum of opinions (especially on a larger team) varies greatly. I do know our gym gives new parents a sheet that shows what people paid the last season so they can make a somewhat informed decision when they accept their spot on team. Oh, and I've heard rumors flowing around that we should expect the price of leotards to go up. I can't remember why, I just remembered the part that will hit me (my wallet!). Hopefully it's not true and it was just speculation.

Competition cheer is insanely expensive. And monthly tuition, considering it is less hours, is crazy expensive too. I have one kid in all-star cheer. I was commenting on how expensive it is to her coach who tried to say it was less than gymnastics. I pointed out that my gumnast kids had more than twice the hours per week for just a little more money per month. And don't even get me started on the matching practice clothes. And the cheer uniforms make the leotards look like a steal.

Disclosure: my girls are at a Y. The coaches do everything they can to keep the program affordable.

We are beginning our 5th year of the same leo. They’re not the fanciest or the most blingy around, but aren’t ugly or cheap looking. New is about $170, buying a used is about $80.

Of course, there are parents who complain about the leos being boring, until they learn how much a full bling leo would cost.
Also at a Y ... so far, we only change leotards when they are discontinued ... and ours are about $105 this year if bought new. They do have a little bling. Luckily, YG can still wear last year's leotard and we were able to make a trade for her younger step-sis to get one that fits so that was basically free.

Competition cheer is insanely expensive. And monthly tuition, considering it is less hours, is crazy expensive too. I have one kid in all-star cheer. I was commenting on how expensive it is to her coach who tried to say it was less than gymnastics. I pointed out that my gumnast kids had more than twice the hours per week for just a little more money per month. And don't even get me started on the matching practice clothes. And the cheer uniforms make the leotards look like a steal.
For sure. And don’t forget the new choreography/music each year! Our friends paid close to what we pay for a full individual floor routine- and that was each member of the team for the same music and choreography!

I've been thinking more about things and realized, it's not just gymnastics. My friends with competitive cheer girls have absolutely zero say in their competition gear. From how their hair is done, make up, hair bows, shoes, socks and cheerleading uniform (which are pretty darn pricey as well). They also (at least the ones I'm familiar with) dictate what they wear to practice (as in, you must purchase this package of bootie shorts, sports bra, t-shirt, and hair bow - because that darn hair bow is essential to a quality practice...)! I guess I would hope gyms are mindful of just how much and what they're asking people to spend but I also understand that the spectrum of opinions (especially on a larger team) varies greatly. I do know our gym gives new parents a sheet that shows what people paid the last season so they can make a somewhat informed decision when they accept their spot on team. Oh, and I've heard rumors flowing around that we should expect the price of leotards to go up. I can't remember why, I just remembered the part that will hit me (my wallet!). Hopefully it's not true and it was just speculation.

True. My son is in travel baseball. Uniforms for hats and jerseys was like $300. Still had to buy pants, shoes, socks. AND I have a catcher, and his gear is insanely expensive. Just had to buy him a new glove - $300. It's all so freaking expensive.

True. My son is in travel baseball. Uniforms for hats and jerseys was like $300. Still had to buy pants, shoes, socks. AND I have a catcher, and his gear is insanely expensive. Just had to buy him a new glove - $300. It's all so freaking expensive.
Don't tell me that! My son is gearing up for his first year of travel baseball in the spring..

By the way, how are other kid sports in the USA? Do you usually have spectator fees for let's say soccer or base ball games?

No spectator fees. Not for baseball, football, soccer, lacrosse, track. Not for sports. Even my daughters music programs where they are judged, no admission fees for us spectators. The expense of the judges and venue are built in to their entrance fee. I go watch for free.

No spectator fees. Not for baseball, football, soccer, lacrosse, track. Not for sports. Even my daughters music programs where they are judged, no admission fees for us spectators. The expense of the judges and venue are built in to their entrance fee. I go watch for free.

Where I live, all the school sports require an entrance fee. My son did football and track in middle school and it was $5 to get in to those games. My older son is in the marching band and we pay to watch the high school footballs games where they place at half time ($7/person) and the marching band competitions are around $12/person.

Now when they played rec soccer or baseball, there wasn't a fee for that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back