Parents Why Gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is your older one part of any sort of special program or stream?

Yes she is, she does low hours that could be considered recreational but the pathway or stream is not, her hours could increase though especially during the summer as she is heading towards the British Championships.

Gymnastics has been good for my oldest daughter, she has found something she enjoys, it is the only thing she has stuck at, she has tried brownies and dancing, her other main love is reading and writing.

My youngest needs an outlet for her energy and I guess the gym saw untapped natural strength and flexibility in her and they were right even if she started the development side later than the usual 5 years old, she loves all aspects of gymnastics except she is not crazy about beam, something she would chose not to do given the choice but she just gets on with it, hopefully she will find a little love towards the beam as she gets older.my daughter does low hours and might be considered a competitive recreational gymnast in some gyms, but like I said before her gym considers 6 hours and under to be recreational / general gymnastics.

Recreational and competitive are just meaningless terms the gymnastics community uses to define different groups of gymnasts. There is no amount of hours that specifically determine if a gymnast is recreational or not.

Yes she is, she does low hours that could be considered recreational but the pathway or stream is not, her hours could increase though especially during the summer as she is heading towards the British Championships.

Ooo - exciting is she doing the Challenge Cup then?

Elite track Dd who started gym later then most & has participated in many other sports ( one of those models who is good at every sport) loves that there is no ceiling for gymnastic skills.....after mastering 3 pointers in basketball, no one changes the hoop/ ball size or adds a twist to the shot etc :)

She still dances, has done so since small, the cost of her gym WAY surpasses her dance even if she took up every dance opportunity offered!

She's still doing gym because I haven't managed to find an alternative to offer her yet that she's wanted to take up LOL

The new MAG man, while still doing 3 other sports as well as drumming is enjoying the extra fitness.

Cute little Rec girl is loving her Leo and hoping for more:)

So 3 kids all with different bottom line reasons why they love gym - me- I'll just continue to taxi :)

Elite track Dd who started gym later then most & has participated in many other sports ( one of those models who is good at every sport) loves that there is no ceiling for gymnastic skills.....after mastering 3 pointers in basketball, no one changes the hoop/ ball size or adds a twist to the shot etc :)

Ahh but auswi she could try a twist shot or how about something like this
I can so see her doing that!

Ahh but auswi she could try a twist shot or how about something like this
I can so see her doing that!

LOL -So funny OzZee- cos last year when she was still playing squad and regular Bball she spent hours at our home hoop walking on her hands attempting a similar manoeuvre - didn't succeed though but really helped us to realise where her true passion lay!!

6 hours and not yet competing sounds like pre team -which is competitive track. Is the plan for her to start competing soon? My DD is on pre team and doing 6 hours per week working towards competition.

Why do we as parents support their passion in this crazy old gym world, I am sure our sanity and bank balance would be more healthy without it.

Because our kids are strong, not risk adverse, and not afraid to say "it hurts but it's only pain." In short, it's cheaper than bail!

Why gymnastics?
I'm asked this question a lot because I coach other sports.
my DD was born prematurely. 3 weeks in neo natal.
She was a tiny skinny asthmatic child who scared the he'll out of us every time she caught a cold or virus. Many late night emergency visits. Giving her breathing treatments.
Though she never made team, gymnastics has changed her world more than her lvl 8 multi champion twin brother.
You now see a healthy, strong, confident flexible young woman who is not afraid to try any challenge. With zero health problems.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back