WAG Why not elite for Young level 9s and 10s?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Fun to read as my daughter also hopes to train elite and now she is only 8. Things can change fast but she as shown a lot character and is pushing herself really hard. We are from Canada and things are different, little gimmie hoping to go through take the aspire,novice and then junior but don't compete levels unless can qualify for Novice national. Just like hopes.

Our gym has 2-3 girls in that 10-12 yo Level 10 type situation and they are training Hopes with elite goals. The rest of the level 10s are like 15-18 I think and more aiming for scholarships.

I think this board skews very young. I've been tracking median ages at the Nor-Cal state meet for several years, and it's consistently been about 9.5 for level 3, 10.5 for level 4, and 11.5 for level 5.

After hanging on these boards for awhile, I attended my states level 9/10 State Meet ( to watch/volunteer) and I expected to see tons of 9 and 10 year olds. Really, the youngest kid I saw the entire time was maybe 12 or 13, and they were the exception not the rule. There may have been younger ones I missed. Most of the gymnasts were teenagers.

Great conversation!! Posted in the original thread, DD is currently 9 training Level 8. Comps start in and around Christmas so she's likely to compete Level 8 as a 10 year old. She started gymnastics at 5, did 1 year of rec, 2 years in competitive development and pre-comp (equivalent to pre-team) and competed this past year as 9 year old Level 6 (and faired pretty well with 3rd AA at Provincial Championships [emoji5]). But I don't think we're training elite or on any fast-track. She just does what she can do. Girls in her training group are at various levels and advancing as they can. I don't feel any pressure to get her to any level by a certain age or into our national stream. Makes me wonder...do gyms push for elites or are they just doing a good job at identifying and cultivating talent? Maybe that's too naive and idealistic of me?

or are they just doing a good job at identifying and cultivating talent?

I'd say it depends on the gym. Some gyms are doing exactly that. Our gym focuses on college gymnastics (although we did have one elite a while back), and the coaches still need to identify and develop talent pretty early on to get them there. Sometimes a kid is just talented and fearless, and they move through quickly and there is no real reason to hold them back...they would get bored. We have a couple that probably could have aimed for elite (they were a bit older, 12, when they first competed L10) but it's such a time and money investment and gym and family just didn't want it.

I do think that many gyms do push for elite where they see talent, not only because the kids are talented but IMHO also because it drives business. I also think it's true that most of them THAT young are probably testing HOPES though, because of the "what if" factor.

Just turned 11 Level 8. Just curious for those that have 10 year old 10s and 9 year old 9s. Are they on the elite path, and if not, why not? The one gymnast at our gym that ever showed that sort of progression is now a junior international elite. She left our gym at around level 9 to go to a gym with elites. We are a good JOgym in our state, and most of our good state champion type 11 year olds will be 7s or 8s this year. What does a 10 year old 10 do if they don't go elite? I am genuinely curious, as we just don't see that kind of gymnast very often.

Does anyone know of a 10 year old level 10 that did not try elite? I don't. I only know of less than a handful of 10 year old level 10's and they all made elite.

Does anyone know of a 10 year old level 10 that did not try elite? I don't. I only know of less than a handful of 10 year old level 10's and they all made elite.
I, too, can only think of a handful of 10 year olds who competed level 10, and they all were training for elite. I can't stress how rare it is. The youngest age group at JO's is 13 years 4mos and under(and only varies a month or two either direction each year), with the vast majority of Junior A girls 12 or younger 13 year olds. It is even extremely rare to see an 11 year old competing 10. I have no reason to doubt anyone's individual stories, but saying a kid is a level 10 or training level 10 skills is very different from competing level 10. Heck, even the 10 year olds that are competing Hopes with the hopes of going elite are mostly level 9's.

I was surprised after reading the post about ages and levels. I thought a 9 year old level 9 was an exception, but apparently on CB it's the rule.
I had the same thought. Unheard of where we live. My daughter went to regionals last year as a level 7 and was the second youngest there. Not saying there aren't some out there, but maybe 9 year old level 9s and 10s have bigger fish to fry than going to regionals??

ETA: Yes, it is supposedly extremely rare, but on the other thread, there were quite a few posters coming forward with 9 and 10 year old level 9s and 10s.

The other thing I'm thinking is that some coaches have the philosophy that you need to get to that high level early, because after they hit puberty and a growth spurt, it's harder to learn new skills. From watching international gymnastics competitions, I've definitely seen some junior elites struggle to maintain their skill level after hitting a growth spurt. I also know a lot of girls who made it to L9 before high school and then spent several years trying just to maintain skills and work through new mental blocks and injuries.

So it's not always like you achieve L10 skills at age 10 and then just build up from there - there are a lot of set-backs to work through. Some skills need to be re-learned if your body changes. I also think the rate of injury increases.

This makes me feel better. After reading the Levels and Ages thread I was beginning to think my 9yo L4 was a dinosaur! :D

Yeah I didn't even read the thread because I knew it would start to bother me. This board skews very young. I have a 10 year old that's facing a possible second season at level 4. But gosh I'm proud of her!

Median age at level 9 Easterns/Westerns in 2016: 14 years 11 months/14 years 9 months
Median age at level 9 Easterns/Westerns in 2017: 14 years 7 months/ 14 years 6 months

Median age at level 10 nationals in 2015: 16 years 5 months
Median age at level 10 Nationals in 2016: 16 years 4 months
Median age at level 10 National in 2017: 16 years 3 months

I would say there is a big difference between being a Level 9 or 10 and training Level 9/10. I felt a lot of posters stated that their gymnasts were training the respective levels.
At this time of year, the girls aren't technically the next level, yet. My DD, who is training 9, will most likely compete level 9. However, it won't be decided until October.
I assume that's what the majority of the posters are saying...... of course some exaggerate or say their kid is training a level they obviously wont compete next season.

I stated "training 9" because at my daughter's gym that's what they call themselves when they're in between comp. seasons.

They don't call themselves that next level until it's absolutely certain at the end of summer that you've been promoted.

My DD was 6 during this past level 3 season and I always felt like she was a baby and "ahead"of the curve. Lol. Being on this board definitely put it in perspective for me that she is no special snowflake and that she may even be a bit "old". Lol. But it also made me realize that she is at a time in her life where it should be fun and low stress because it only gets more stressful and serious the higher you climb.
I stated that my DD was"training" level 4 because that's all they have been working on. She hasn't done level 3 stuff since the summer started. But she also has not competed level 4.

My DD was 6 during this past level 3 season and I always felt like she was a baby and "ahead"of the curve. Lol. Being on this board definitely put it in perspective for me that she is no special snowflake and that she may even be a bit "old". Lol. But it also made me realize that she is at a time in her life where it should be fun and low stress because it only gets more stressful and serious the higher you climb.
I stated that my DD was"training" level 4 because that's all they have been working on. She hasn't done level 3 stuff since the summer started. But she also has not competed level 4.

Pretty sure 6 years is the minimum age for level 3 lol. She is not an old gymnast, you cant be younger for level 3

Well she turned 7 about 2 weeks after the last regular season meet, and it seems like a lot of posters 7 year olds are starting optionals already. I'm like Geesh, my kid just finished level 3!

Lol, most will turn the next age by the time they compete the next level.
There are a couple posters who constantly mention that their child is a 7yo L7 (or whatever level), but they will be 8yo by the time season starts. They just want to say it because it sounds impressive. ;)

Makes me wonder...do gyms push for elites or are they just doing a good job at identifying and cultivating talent?

Or are they all training elite b/c they are very good, maybe the best at their gym and it seems like everyone is trying to train elite now! ? So gyms start an "elite" program for those girls to make more money and to see what happens. I mean it seems like every other kid is training it now but only a handful actually make it. Gymnastics is becoming like Hollywood! ;-)

Also my goodness, think of the injury rate if you make 10 at 10 years old!?! That has GOT to be rough on a body.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back