Why only 2 All - Arounds from each country

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Seems to me that each country has a solid group of 3 women for the Team All-Around... would it be so terrible to have the limit be 3 instead of 2? Such a strict limit really does not show who actually is 3rd place in the World.... It is possible that #3 will not actually be the third best of all the gymnasts who came to the Olympics... I guess that could be said of #1 and #2 depending on how all the #3's of each country does in the Team Finals.... oh, I know the All-Arounds are a separate competition... that is something else I don't agree with....

I just think it will be strange if someone ends up with the highest All-Around score at Teams, but then doesn't even get to compete at All-Arounds.... Does not make sense at all!

If it is just based on qualifiers... then why limit the number??? I get that maybe having all 5 members at All-Arounds may be too many, but again, most teams really only have 3 members who participate in all events... Such a bummer for #3 of each country! I know I wouldn't want to walk out as #3 in the world (Bronze) when really, a bunch of others may have been better but were outnumbered from their country.... It's like a false ranking.

Apparently the olympic committee made the rule and FIG adopted it at worlds as well. I guess they do not want one country to be able to dominate the podium?

If the US really wanted Jordyn to make AA finals they could have had Aly skip bars. They set the girls up for this competition and this is what happened. Marta always talks about how much she likes internal competitioin.

It should be who ever the top 24 are no matter what country they are from - PERIOD!!! this rule is just so unfair and I don't say that just because of jordan. What are they thinking with this rule!!!

I agree. If a country dominates the podium, then so be it. If they sweep it, it's because they earned it. It shouldn't matter what country you are from. Everyone should have an equal chance.

Agreed. Do they do this in other sports?

I think in other sports, one country can sweep the podium. Not entirely sure though.

My issue with the whole thing is that Jordyn scored better than girls who are in the aa finals. Finals should be the best of the best, and the way it is, it's not all the best. The girls are essentially getting punished for having a strong team.

Swimmimg allows only two athletes per event. So no sweep there either.

Well, I don't watch too many sports in the Olympics, but I know in swimming, the top 8 times go to the finals. Whatever country you are from.

Swimmimg allows only two athletes per event. So no sweep there either.

I think the difference there is that only two athletes from a country are in any given event, correct? With the way gymnastics is set up, a country can have more than two girls compete all around at qualifiers. Therefore more than two from a country should be able to qualify, if they are the best.

Did they make this change for the 2004 Olympics? Because if so, it's pretty obvious that it's because of 2000 when Romania swept (originally, anyways).

Thats why I think that if only two can compete AA only two should be able to compete AA in prelims. One of the 3 would have been upset tonight. Aly was not ready to hand that spot to anyone. If the US (and Martha in particular) wanted Jordyn to make AA finals they would have kept Aly off the bars. Internal competition is encouraged among the team and this is the result.

If the US really wanted Jordyn to make AA finals they could have had Aly skip bars. They set the girls up for this competition and this is what happened. Marta always talks about how much she likes internal competitioin.

It shouldn't be about who the US wants... it should be about the TOP 24 gymnasts competing for the top ranks. Right now, #4 has to stand behind #24 and get NO chance.... Why should a gymnast scratch on something for her to get it??? She totally earned the opportunity... she worked hard and her #4 score showed that.

Thats why I think that if only two can compete AA only two should be able to compete AA in prelims. One of the 3 would have been upset tonight. Aly was not ready to hand that spot to anyone. If the US (and Martha in particular) wanted Jordyn to make AA finals they would have kept Aly off the bars. Internal competition is encouraged among the team and this is the result.

Why should they punish Aly??? That's dumb... Jordan was better than 21 other women who are going to AA... that is just not fair, and it totally reduces the meaning of the AA ranks.... they are meaningless ranks... Why should countries get political and disqualify someone like Aly just to help another athlete??? sorry... makes less sense than only giving 2 a chance for the AA after they invite 5 to be part of the team!

If I have this right, jordyn misses out, and so do Yao jinnan and Jennifer pinches?

I think I'm of the 3 gymnasts should be allowed persuasion. If they want other countries to take part why not allow top 30, rather than 24, or have the top 20' plus the first 4 gymnasts from countries which can't field a team.

I think the thing that sways me over swimming, is that they're actually there, competing. Swimming they only have the top two compete per event anyway, so third won't even make the Olympics.

I remember this rule being around a while, in 1985 Worlds the USSR dropped their first 2 qualifiers "due to injury" to allow Omelianchik and Shushunova to compete - and look what happened there!

It's not an olympic rule and it's not recent. All the gymnasts taking part are aware of the rules.

Not saying I agree with it though.

This has happened before. The question is, would you be this upset if Aly had been the person left off the AA comp?

I agree that this is sad, but this is an Olympic rule, not a gymnastics rule, though FIG adopted it. Somebody will always be hurt by it. Just like at trials when girls did not get a place on the team.

If Aly has the potential to compete, then you have to let her do so. You can't tell her to step aside for someone else because she might beat that someone else.

I agree they should not punish Ali and I'm glad they didn't. The thing about the 2 from each country, what makes it almost silly, is there are top gymnasts from certain countries in the AA who will have no chance of winning right? That just seems pointless to put them in when you could have a true competition with the top girls.
Why should they punish Aly??? That's dumb... Jordan was better than 21 other women who are going to AA... that is just not fair, and it totally reduces the meaning of the AA ranks.... they are meaningless ranks... Why should countries get political and disqualify someone like Aly just to help another athlete??? sorry... makes less sense than only giving 2 a chance for the AA after they invite 5 to be part of the team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back