Anon Why switch to Yurchenko?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

yurchenko-vs-tsuk-text.jpg

DD is competing a tsuk pike this season for l8 and is a strong vaulter. Comp season starts soon, and her coach is talking about having her switch to a yurchenko, which she's not as good at. She feels her tsuk will score really well and isn't excited about making a switch for this season. Is there a reason why yurchenkos are better long-term for vaulting? She's a power kid and very comfortable with her vault right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
the switch to the yurchenko is because in the long term it is easier to achieve a start value at level 10 of a 10 with that entry.

My daughter is a level 10 with a front entry vault. At almost every meet she is the only one with this entry. Her start value of her vault is 9.7 ( front handspring/front) I think the front entry vaults are way undervalued by the way.

Did she learn her tsuk at that gym or change gyms recently and already had it? Maybe the coaches are just better/more comfortable at training higher level yurchenko vaults than tsuks? I know at my daughter's gym, almost all the level 10s do a yurchenko. The only exceptions are those who have had elbow injuries that preclude it and a couple that came from another gym and already had 10.0 start value front vaults. I don't think anyone performs a tsuk though because our coaches just don't like coaching them. I have also heard that the tsuk is more difficult to get a 10.0 start value at level 10 with. But I agree with you that if they already have a very solid level 8 vault, why change it now right before the season?

Many gyms teach a Tsuk as a prelude to the Yurchenko. It’s easier to do the entry which helps them develop the feeling of their first flipping vaults.

Once that is mastered, switching to the Yurchenko can allow more scope for the future. Especially for female gymnasts who don’t have the same explosive power as male gymnasts.

The round off flic entry build more power so it’s easier to turn the vault into something bigger like a layout and twist.

Did she learn her tsuk at that gym or change gyms recently and already had it? Maybe the coaches are just better/more comfortable at training higher level yurchenko vaults than tsuks? I know at my daughter's gym, almost all the level 10s do a yurchenko. The only exceptions are those who have had elbow injuries that preclude it and a couple that came from another gym and already had 10.0 start value front vaults. I don't think anyone performs a tsuk though because our coaches just don't like coaching them. I have also heard that the tsuk is more difficult to get a 10.0 start value at level 10 with. But I agree with you that if they already have a very solid level 8 vault, why change it now right before the season?
She learned the tsuk at her gym and her coach hasn't explained why it would be better to switch the vault now. I can see working on the yurchenko if that eventually leads to more vault options in 9 and 10, but I have no idea if that is the case.

As a gymnast, I also do mostly Tsuks for vault, so I understand. About the start value, for level 9 she could still do a Tsuk 1/1 tuck or a Tsuk layout and still get a starting value of 10.0. The reason for the switch is most likely that Yurchenkos are the most common vaulting entry, especially in major competitions, so the coach most likely wants her to have it perfected, especially if she is planning to go elite/compete in college.

Many gyms teach a Tsuk as a prelude to the Yurchenko. It’s easier to do the entry which helps them develop the feeling of their first flipping vaults.

Once that is mastered, switching to the Yurchenko can allow more scope for the future. Especially for female gymnasts who don’t have the same explosive power as male gymnasts.

The round off flic entry build more power so it’s easier to turn the vault into something bigger like a layout and twist.

I agree with this fully.

the switch to the yurchenko is because in the long term it is easier to achieve a start value at level 10 of a 10 with that entry.

For almost all female gymnasts... I agree with this as well.

Had a couple that were great at forward entries... but it is definitely hard to get the 10.0 / 10.1 start.

You gotta be doing it like this to be in the game at L10 with a forward vault...

Here is a Tsuk full...

EDIT: I posted this as a Kaz first... this is actually way harder than a Kaz.

I have to say I get really tired of watching Yurchenko after Yurchenko and love it when athletes do a different vault. My daughter does a front handspring front and will have to continue to develop to get a 10 start value. She loves Haleigh Bryant....

I agree with all of the above: most kids can generate so much more power from the round-off entry. In addition, it seems like judges can (and will!) create countless deductions from the cleanest looking half-on going into a tsuk.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back