WAG Wide arms on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I watched a video of myself doing a level 4 bar routine, and I noticed I have really wide arms on almost every skill. They are wider than my shoulders. Is this normal? Will it cause problems in the future?

A wide grip can put more (or less) strain on your wrists depending on your overall biomechanics. What does the angle of your wrists look like?

A wide grip can put more (or less) strain on your wrists depending on your overall biomechanics. What does the angle of your wrists look like?
Not sure how to describe it, but here's a pic of arm placement during the glide (for kip).
Sorry for the unclear pic, its from a meet and my parents had to zoom in a lot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221110_082028_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221110_082028_Photos~2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 39
If you have proportionally long arms compared to your body you may be putting your arms wider to be able to keep your arms straight in casts (so you can get your hips on the bar and create a deep pike at the end of the kip, start of the cast. It may be an issue when pirouetting in handstand.

If you have proportionally long arms compared to your body you may be putting your arms wider to be able to keep your arms straight in casts (so you can get your hips on the bar and create a deep pike at the end of the kip, start of the cast. It may be an issue when pirouetting in handstand.
I think that is true, I do have straighter arms in kip casts than say like the others in my team who put their hands closer.
For handstands though, I think I have them closer? I feel like that will lead to a lot of adjustment during routines to adjust the hand placement in kips to handstands..
Thanks for your insight btw!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back