Parents Will it be to late to switch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Calexanian

Proud Parent
My 8 year old has been taking rec gymnastics for about 10 months. She has fallen in love. They moved her to preteam in hopes to get her ready to compete. The gym we are at is strictly xcel. Is it ok to try this out this coming year and see about the commitment and if she likes it and then finding a gym with a jo program? We are all super new to this and I already feel overwhelmed. Haha. So thankful for all the help here.

Of course! Some gyms have age limits at the compulsory levels, but many do not! We had an 11 year old join l3 this year without prior experience. She came from 5 months of classes and she won all around in her age group at states! Normally our gym wouldn't have an 11 yr old on level 3.. BUT they saw her talent and potential.

There are no hard rules as to when you can begin JO, though as I said different gyms have their own standards they stick to.

Absolutely. My DD did one year of Xcel at a nearby gym before we decided to change gyms and move to JO. I found the year in Xcel to be helpful in determining potential success in JO and level of dedication/passion... My DD was age 7 when she competed Xcel, age 8 this year at JO L4. Good luck!

If trying Xcel first is right for your family, then this can be a very good plan. Yes, age 9 or 10 is welcome in many (but definitely not all) JO programs. Assuming your DD compete 1 year of Xcel Bronze, here are some things to know if deciding to switch to JO after that...

- She will most likely have to formally try out/be evaluated for a JO program (not automatically accepted because of competing Xcel). Some gyms may accept her, but some may not. Depends on the competitiveness and range of gyms in your area.
- Most Xcel Bronze who switch over go on to compete L3, though some may compete higher or lower. Another recent thread has many thoughts about that.
- Scoring in Xcel is simply different, and typically more generous. Girls who move from Xcel into JO almost always take a 'scoring hit' for a year or two, so should be prepared for this likelihood.
- Preparation for Xcel and JO are also different. Overall, Xcel focuses a bit more on skill-building while JO focuses more than Xcel on perfecting form and technique (because there are not enough hours in Xcel to drill to perfection quite as much). For example, an Xcel girl might "have" a back tuck, an aerial, etc., but when moving to JO, not be able to compete these skills for a few years due to 1)the skill not being in the JO compulsory routine, and/or 2)the skill is not performed as precisely as is needed for JO 'readiness' (judges will deduct it heavily). This can be a disappointment for girls who are more excited to 'get' skills rather than 'perfect' skills. They may get bored or frustrated, and feel they are going 'backwards'.
- Related to above, JO athletes have more hours, and more of these hours are dedicated to conditioning. Conditioning is a primary factor in keeping tight form, and building toward upper level skills. Bars and vault, in particular, are places where Xcel athletes are usually 'behind' their JO counterparts, often due to lack of strength/conditioning that JO athletes began more rigorously back in pre-team. They can certainly catch up in time, but be prepared that there will be a time of adjusting to more rigorous conditioning, as well as usually some 'lag' on bars and vault.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the above as gyms, coaches, and athletes all have their own strengths and emphasis. But these are very common trends when making the switch. Switching after 1 year of Xcel Bronze can absolutely work well and be a great experience. It is just good to be informed ahead of time when evaluating your options. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back