Woga classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

The Woga Classic is one of the meets in our meet schedule. Everyone is encouraged to participate (L4 and up). My DD is only a L6 and may be a L7 by then. I am leaning towards not letting my DD compete but my husband feels it is a good experience and wants her to compete. I do see how much fun and how exciting it may be for my DD to compete in such a large venue (Dr. Pepper Arena, I believe) and with elites. But other than that, I do not see any other benefit. We belong in small gym and I feel we will spend a lot of money just to be in the bottom of the meet. If it is experience, there are a lot of other local meets. Airfare is around $450/person (it is Presidents week). When everything is said and done, I think it'll cost close to $1,500 for just one meet (i.e., hotel, coaches fees, food, rent a car etc.). Over 50% of all our scheduled meets require hotel accomodations and at least two require airfare, not including states, which this year is over 400 miles away and will thus need airfare too. Now I don't know if this is some kind of added training (getting the girls use to traveling distances for a meet). Coaches, do you try to schedule meets that are far away? Is there a benefit to my DD attending this meet in Texas? Parents, would you let your DD attend?

Im a personal attending the woga classic only with 10 of my 19 brother and sisters so our fee is alot more than yours :/.

I don't believe in doing traveling meets that requires flying, unless it's some sort of a championship. A regular schedule that consists of more than one meet that is far away is ridiculous, IMHO.

I would not spend that amount of money just for a meet. However, our gym is taking the L7's to the magical classic in orlando. If my DD were a L7 I would consider this one as I could also make it a vacation trip and go to disney world or universal studios for a few days. That way the trip is not JUST about gymnastics! Good luck with your decision!

Travel meets for Optionals are very common. It generally depends on how far and how much money based on the wishes of the coaches and team memebers to somoe extent.

Some clubs have very strong feelings on exposing their Optionals to different clubs round the country rather than just the ones in their own region. I guess I would ask DD's coach what is the goals for your clubs girls at this meet. this may help you understand and decide what to do

All this being said DD belongs to a club which is small and has about 13 Optionals this is our biggest Optionals in 10 yrs. So we are not a huge travel team. This is fine with me and DD.

However others have left and gone to other clubs which travel a bunch to expose their gymnast nation wide in hopes of scholarships or just having them better prepared for Level 9 and 10 when they can compete Nationally. These are just a few things some of our local coaches have shared over the years.

Ok so sorry for the ramble hope this helps.

Going to these big invitationals is common for L8 and up. Some gyms take their L7s to one also. The thinking is to get them used to competing in a large venue with judges from other states.

WOGA is a BIG meet and probably one of the most prestigous in the country. That means lots and lots of gymnasts. It is a well run meet. It is also highly competitive. I would certainly pass on it for a L6 and a new L7 may feel a little overwhelmed. Overall it is alot of $ for a couple of days and at this stage of your dd's career, the time may be better spent staying at home and practicing.

Didn't think the lower Optional Levels competed in the Arena? I thought was just the Level 10's and Elites. The past years the lower Optionals competed in a hotel ballroom.

Didn't think the lower Optional Levels competed in the Arena? I thought was just the Level 10's and Elites. The past years the lower Optionals competed in a hotel ballroom.

Stacey, you are right on that. L9s and below usually compete at the complex right at the Embassy Suites. As I recall they usually have 3 gyms going at the same time.

We are going to the WOGA meet and you are right, it is very expensive... 400 plane flights; 150 per night in the hotel (X 3 nights) , car , food...by the time all is said and done, probably 1500 dollars for the weekend... if my daughter was Level 6 (and maybe a brand new 7 who I didn't think was going to do all that well) , I would definitely take a pass on this one...as I've said before, there will be plenty of opportunity down the road to spend your hard earned money on gymnastics!!

My DD will be going to the WOGA meet also. If I didn't have to go then we wouldn't, but coach wants more exposure and experience for my DD. It would be a long drive, but we may have to due to recent flying expenses for TOPS national testing and TOPS camp this week. Some of the other optional girls will be going to Cancun which thankfully we don't have to go for that one. Unless the coaches really are pushing for her to go then I would just stay home and save your money. Gymnastics is expensive so it is best (in my opinion) to save when you are able to. :)

Stacey, you are right on that. L9s and below usually compete at the complex right at the Embassy Suites. As I recall they usually have 3 gyms going at the same time.
Yeah so the OP's dd wouldn't even get the chance of competing in a big arena for experience, and without that special experience it doesn't look worth the money for me, unless you go to the Elite meet and watch them and that would be a pretty cool experience.

I did not know the lower levels will not be competing at the arena. That is nice to know. Thanks Staceyb and gymlawmom. And we already took my DD to the Visa Championships this year. So, watching the elites compete is not going to be something new.

I spoke with my Dd's coach and according to her she would like the girls to see and compete in "higher" level gymnastics. So they can see how they compare to the best gymnasts in their level. I am not sold on this explanation. I still think at L6, there is no reason to spend that kind of money on one meet. I don't think anyone will really pay any attention to compulsory levels and compulsories have very little bearing on optionals, right? I believe our coach is taking our "senior international elite" to the meet and since our coach was already going to be there, she thought why not have everyone compete? Not necessarily bad to those who want to do it.

if my daughter was Level 6 (and maybe a brand new 7 who I didn't think was going to do all that well) , I would definitely take a pass on this one...as I've said before, there will be plenty of opportunity down the road to spend your hard earned money on gymnastics!!

Bookworm, those were my sentiments exactly when I heard this meet was included in our meet schedule. Why fly the distance and spend the money just so our team can get creamed? I have no idea how my DD will do. She does quite well in our state. But I believe our state might have higher scoring judges than the rest of the country.

I think I'll save my hard earned money and get a massage!!!!

Don't get me wrong that just because your dd wouldn't be in an arena, this meet wouldn't be different and special. The girls not competing in the arena compete in a very nice hotel ballroom type set up. Actually as you get more into optional meets that is more common than being in a large arena.

I believe to see the elites compete, you have to buy another ticket for like $25 each, so more money out of pocket. These elites are not usually the ones you see at Visa---some from other countries and some new elites in the US.

I think the plan of a massage or 2 is a good one.

I spoke with my Dd's coach and according to her she would like the girls to see and compete in "higher" level gymnastics. So they can see how they compare to the best gymnasts in their level. I am not sold on this explanation. I still think at L6, there is no reason to spend that kind of money on one meet. I don't think anyone will really pay any attention to compulsory levels and compulsories have very little bearing on optionals, right? I believe our coach is taking our "senior international elite" to the meet and since our coach was already going to be there, she thought why not have everyone compete? Not necessarily bad to those who want to do it.

Ok here's probably part of the reason you are "all" going (and no one os ever going to tell you this..) so that the gym can distribute the cost of taking your ONE Sr International Elite amongst your whole team , and not just charging the budding elite alone....if the gymnast testing elite were going to the meet alone, then her family would bear the entire cost of the travel for the coach (and herself and family) (and this is how it is done in a lot of gyms) ...but by taking the rest of the team, the costs can all be "shared" with the rationale of "wanting them to compete at a higher level"...at Level 6, I'd politely decline.:)

I have trained at WOGA before and I have competed at the meet. Its alot of fun and one of the biggest meets! but even when I lived there it was ALOT of money and I would never do it now!!!

I have trained at WOGA before and I have competed at the meet. Its alot of fun and one of the biggest meets! but even when I lived there it was ALOT of money and I would never do it now!!!

gymnast4life94, what makes it more special than any other meet and/or what did you like most about it? And is there a reason other than money that makes you not want to do it again?

gymnast4life94, what makes it more special than any other meet and/or what did you like most about it? And is there a reason other than money that makes you not want to do it again?

it was huge that was the most special part about it. it was one of those huge meets that my grandma would come to. If the oppertunity did come up to go i might consider it. the worst part of it is that its so big and i personally like the smaller meets. dont get me wrong it was fun and i have great memories from it but it just wasnt my thing.

Ok here's probably part of the reason you are "all" going (and no one os ever going to tell you this..) so that the gym can distribute the cost of taking your ONE Sr International Elite amongst your whole team , and not just charging the budding elite alone....if the gymnast testing elite were going to the meet alone, then her family would bear the entire cost of the travel for the coach (and herself and family) (and this is how it is done in a lot of gyms) ...but by taking the rest of the team, the costs can all be "shared" with the rationale of "wanting them to compete at a higher level"...at Level 6, I'd politely decline.:)

truth be told Bookworm...;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back