Woga classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym does not take our compulsory gymnasts out of state. The optionals attend 1 out of state meet per season. Levels 7 & 8 attend 1 competition within a 6-7 hour driving range. Last year was southern VA, this year is Boston. The girls all meet at the gym, a van is rented and the team travels together with their coaches and they stay in the hotel as a team as well. They usually do 2 nights, 3 days. One day is spent exploring and having fun. The parents can also attend these meets but they do so on their own. We usually get a block at a hotel and go to dinner, drinks etc. That being said, our cost for the girls is hotel only. However, our 9's & 10's fly. This year is Vegas. They fly as a team with their coaches and stay in the hotel as a team. We pay 1/2 of the air fare and the hotel. If the parents would like to go they do so on their own.

Our gym has a mandatory parents organization. We pay an annual quoto over 4 quarters to the PO plus a monthly gym fee to the gym. The quota fees cover coaches expenses, meet fees etc.. So when we attend meets we do not have to worry about the entrance fees, coaches exp. and such. The parents org. covers these costs because we are essentially paying for these things via our quota.

You guys who have local and in-state meets are lucky - we have to fly to every single meet we attend, because we are the only club on our little island. Needless to say, we don't attend many meets. :(

I have had to make this difficult decision as well when it came to flying thousands of miles to South Carolina last month. The thing that ultimately allowed us to attend was finding flights that could be secured using AA miles. If we had had to pay for our flights, it would have been a no-go. I'm not sure what we can afford for next year either. Our gym does fundraisers and gets some sponsorship, but we parents still bear the brunt of the costs. So I well understand the dilemma. I could choose to stick to Caribbean meets (Trinidad, for example), but the prestige and experience of going to a good meet on U.S. soil just couldn't be discounted, so we did what we could to attend. In your case, you have to decide whether the Woga meet provides something particularly special for your DD, and how much that is worth to you.

I do not want you to be misinformed she will not compete in the Dr
Pepper arena she will compete at the frisco convention center if she competes level 7. Some of the compulsories compete at the WOGA Frisco gym. However, It is a great opportunity for your child to compete with kids from all over the country! She will see most of the national team compete if she attends the Elite Session! I understand the expense question but it can be much cheaper. Check Southwest Airlines they fly into Dallas Love field. You will want to rent a car as the airports are both a good distance from the venue. Do Not stay at the Embassy Suites if you are trying to save money there are plenty of great hotels in the area that are much more economic! One of the great things about the out of town/state meets is the bonding that can and does occur within a team. Also if you can find another family that is in your gym trying to save money you can share a room and save money there too! Also Look at a package deal can be much more economical a good site is Kayak. She will not die if she does not attend this meet, However, it is a great meet and anytime you are able to get scores from judges outside the state it is a great opportunity! This should be a big year for the WOGA classis since it is an Elite Qualifier Meet so there should be a good amount of teams from around the country. If you need any help with locating a hotel or other information feel free to let me know! I hope we see you there!

Hmmmm.... this is frusturating. The Woga Classic would be a very good meet for experience, especially if she's a level 7 by then. Like you said, it's fun to see Elites and upper levels too. It is very expensive though. if she isn't an optional by then, I'd say don't even bother. Plus, there's always other meets!!!!!!!!:):)

p.s. Oh! and also what gymster said! You won't be competing in the Dr. pepper Arena. I'm pretty sure that's only for level 10s and Elites. You would compete in the Frisco Convention Center.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back