Wolf turns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Awe? Really? DD said she tried that and made it around...yeah, I've seen those a lot. They look scary!

I have to say too, I saw a lot of wolf turns on floor that did not finish well. They had their leg bent and they tried to cover it with a choreographed roll-out. Not pretty.

The gymnasts do not get credit for the full rotation when their leg drops (and most everyone has a leg drop). It also looked like the judges counted some falls on beam for wolf turns that didn't make it around without weight bearing. Even though it's ugly, the bigger problem for me is that it truly isn't a good skill. It will be devalued internationally just like the switch ring.

Reactions: sce
At least I'm not the only one! I hadn't seen it before Simone, and now everyone's doing them - MAKE IT STOP!!

The gymnasts do not get credit for the full rotation when their leg drops (and most everyone has a leg drop). It also looked like the judges counted some falls on beam for wolf turns that didn't make it around without weight bearing. Even though it's ugly, the bigger problem for me is that it truly isn't a good skill. It will be devalued internationally just like the switch ring.

In elite, a fall onto the beam out of a wolf turn is only a 0.3 deduction.

Watch the beam routine of Grace Quinn yesterday in the Junior Session. Does her 7.35 execution reflect a full 1.0 fall on the wolf turn? That execution score is awfully low for a hit routine other than the turn.

I caught that too!! So funny, they said there was going to be a wolf hunt soon! Haha
I noticed this at Classics. Not many of the competitors can do it well and it's probably not worth the execution deductions (I don't know what a single wolf turn is worth and I wasn't really counting deductions), I think most of the girls should consider taking them out.

Watch the beam routine of Grace Quinn yesterday in the Junior Session. Does her 7.35 execution reflect a full 1.0 fall on the wolf turn? That execution score is awfully low for a hit routine other than the turn.

No, it doesn't. She was off balance, and set her foot down, but she didn't even fall onto the beam. That routine wasn't a hit routine though, she had long pauses before every skill, and a balance check after almost every one.

Any typical fall onto the beam from a wolf turn will only get 0.3 for loss of balance, as per FIG rules.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back