Women's AA Finals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Although an interesting stat, it is very misleading. From 1980 through 2004 they used the 10 point scoring system, and winning margins were much smaller. It really doesn't make any sense to make comparisons that mix the two scoring systems.
Excellent point. Simone wins by huge margins. But we should look at the numbers only from the start of the new scoring system

Why is everyone so hard on Gabby.? If you every move was being scrutinized would it effect your demeanor? Also, it looked like the camera caught her eating at one point. So she seemed to be doing her best to clap and also not make a mess as she was also chewing. Honestly, people are all just different, I am a huge gymnastics fan but if a camera watched me, I would mostly sitting and clapping. Doesn't mean I am not supporting the athletes I love.

This is off topic. These are the posts that get removed. Talk about finals, not the audience.

Please start new threads to talk about this.

Big enuff difference. No need to exaggerate Simone's greatness.
I think the commentators were trying to help the general audience understand how large the difference is. 2 points sound like a small number, in some ways, but in gymnastics was unheard of previously.

Lol, there is no way to exaggerate Simone's greatness and she should have won by more in my opinion because I for one think the separation in vault E score was absurd. That vault is a point better than most other vault in the competition as far as timing, form, raw power (height and distance) her technique is perfect. Yet it scored like 2-5 tenths higher than other amanars, eh. Even with landing deductions (no one else stuck amanars anyway) that vault in my opinion is at least 5 tenths over Aly (leg sep, bent knees, technique/timing on entry and block technique) who is the closest...no other vault was close and should have been hit for amplitude, timing, block, form. No disrespect to Aly, she is a great vaulter too. But Simone is more than two tenths better than her on that vault.

Under any system we've never had an Olympics where someone could have FALLEN and still won. Sure the margins are bigger now, but you also have to do a lot of things you didn't have to (corner rules before tumbling, no step out after tumbling, release heavy bars which is more risky). But I agree you can't compare generations so much, I fully believe we've had Olympic gymnasts who could have done WAY WAY more in the equipment and resources we have today. But still, we've never had anyone who was this dominant over their field of peers except maybe Nadia.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back