Women's Team Finals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been a Gabby critic but I thought she looked like a different person last night. Generally much happier and more engaged in the team spirit. But apparently we aren't supposed to talk about that. It was interesting to watch the team celebrate when they basically knew they would win. I'm sure there wasn't the instant high of "OMG we won", But I'd guess the lasting affect will be much stronger, in the days, weeks and years to come when they realize the insane level the were able to achieve.

This is a little late for team finals but through the NBC app there was the ability to watch the coverage with no commentating and listen to the arena sound. I started doing this half way through the finals and it was great! It gave the feeling of being in the arena and let me enjoy and notice what "I" saw instead of having the commentators tell me. Obviously the camera dictated your angle but it was a great way to watch. I'd suggest trying it for the AA finals if you are not a fan of the commentators.

I'm sorry! I didn't realize I said anything wrong in my deleted post.[emoji17]

Just want to say how awesome Team USA is! So proud of them! I'm also so glad my dd has been able to watch live on line when she gets out of school since it airs on TV while she's at gym. The only thing she didn't get to see was beam and who won. When she got out of gym she said, "Did they win gold? Wait! Shh! Don't tell me! Wait! Did they win! Oh, don't tell me!" Lol. Bless her!

Can't wait to watch them all on Thursday! They truly are AMAZING!

I'm sorry! I didn't realize I said anything wrong in my deleted post.[emoji17]

Just want to say how awesome Team USA is! So proud of them! I'm also so glad my dd has been able to watch live on line when she gets out of school since it airs on TV while she's at gym. The only thing she didn't get to see was beam and who won. When she got out of gym she said, "Did they win gold? Wait! Shh! Don't tell me! Wait! Did they win! Oh, don't tell me!" Lol. Bless her!

Can't wait to watch them all on Thursday! They truly are AMAZING!

Actually I removed it by mistake.

I've been a Gabby critic but I thought she looked like a different person last night. Generally much happier and more engaged in the team spirit. But apparently we aren't supposed to talk about that. It was interesting to watch the team celebrate when they basically knew they would win. I'm sure there wasn't the instant high of "OMG we won", But I'd guess the lasting affect will be much stronger, in the days, weeks and years to come when they realize the insane level the were able to achieve.

This is a little late for team finals but through the NBC app there was the ability to watch the coverage with no commentating and listen to the arena sound. I started doing this half way through the finals and it was great! It gave the feeling of being in the arena and let me enjoy and notice what "I" saw instead of having the commentators tell me. Obviously the camera dictated your angle but it was a great way to watch. I'd suggest trying it for the AA finals if you are not a fan of the commentators.

I made a similar observation last night to dh, about how it must be different to win knowing you're going to win. It was definitely a different tone from 2012, but of course still celebratory.

We switched to the NBC app around 10pm when we realized they weren't going to show the last two events until nearly midnight. Stupid NBC.

I have been reading comments about Gabby for some time now and wanted to share something. I don't know her but has anyone thought she could be an introvert. My daughter and son are such introverts around other people and social settings yet very social within our family or comfort zone. They aren't the bubbly types and super outgoing personalities that sparkle. But they are hardworking and do well and like solitude at times. It took me a while to figure out why they don't have that outgoing personality and I came to meet other moms who shared the same question. As I see her with cameras surrounding her, I see an introvert side to her only because my family carries the same characteristics. People assume my children are stuck up or don't always grin ear to ear and aren't happy but they are merely quiet and thinking and inside feeling great they just don't show it as well as the outgoing personalities and they never seek attention. If she is an introvert then kudos to her because being in the spotlight is so hard for introverts. Sports is hard enough as it is but not everyone has the full package super outgoing personality and super athlete. Read the bestseller book "quiet" and you will have a new found appreciation for this trait.I know I have learned to appreciate my kids in a whole new way.

Sorry I know it's off topic but just some food for thought and I wasn't sure where this comment should go.

I have been reading comments about Gabby for some time now and wanted to share something. I don't know her but has anyone thought she could be an introvert. My daughter and son are such introverts around other people and social settings yet very social within our family or comfort zone. They aren't the bubbly types and super outgoing personalities that sparkle. But they are hardworking and do well and like solitude at times. It took me a while to figure out why they don't have that outgoing personality and I came to meet other moms who shared the same question. As I see her with cameras surrounding her, I see an introvert side to her only because my family carries the same characteristics. People assume my children are stuck up or don't always grin ear to ear and aren't happy but they are merely quiet and thinking and inside feeling great they just don't show it as well as the outgoing personalities and they never seek attention. If she is an introvert then kudos to her because being in the spotlight is so hard for introverts. Sports is hard enough as it is but not everyone has the full package super outgoing personality and super athlete. Read the bestseller book "quiet" and you will have a new found appreciation for this trait.I know I have learned to appreciate my kids in a whole new way.

Sorry I know it's off topic but just some food for thought and I wasn't sure where this comment should go.

Both she and Donnell Whittenburg have always looked to me like fairly strong introverts. I feel for him whenever I see him at an autograph session.

Every time I look at Gabby in the social spotlight, I see someone who looks like they are trying hard to fit in and go through the motions that are expected, but yes, is likely introverted and inside feels very awkward with what comes naturally to a different personality. Like all the hugging for example. I saw Gabby hugging different girls at different times, and I think she is being genuinely congratulatory, but she hugs people in those settings like I do - kinda awkwardly out of social expectation - not the grab them and pull them in enthusiastically and hold on tight because it feels great like some of the other girls do with each other. I only hug my kids and DH like that (with vigor), lol, but I completely empathize with being the 'awkward hugger'! And I'm even a die hard extrovert (just not huggy - but I try for other people's sake). Hugging is just one example of a social behavior, but stood out to me watching the finals.

Gabby great job representing US!! You did your job on Bars and rocked it!! Amazing ladies, amazing team.

Jordyn Weiber also seemed to struggle socially with the spotlight, but I don't remember her getting so much hate. I guess being an AA gold medal winner and contributing to an 8 point victory for team gold isn't enough for some peeps. In the words of the wise Taylor Swift- Haters gonna hate.

I thought we were getting back to gymnastics. I don't see the point of calling one another "haters." Can't we get this conversation back on track? One of the most impressive things to me about the Team Final was the fact that Aly Raisman not only got back to 2012 shape, she surpassed it. At 22 and in her 2d Olympics she delivered her best Amanars by a long shot.

I thought we were getting back to gymnastics. I don't see the point of calling one another "haters." Can't we get this conversation back on track? .

My point exactly. It should be about the gymnastics. She did her job. Congrats to them.

Aly really was amazing last night, only 0.834 behind Simone on the 3 events they both did and her UB from qualifying would have scored similarly to Simone's team finals routine...we might actually have an AA competition after all!
Well, not for Gold. That belongs to Simone. But Aly has a very serious chance at Silver. Which is thrilling.

Well, not for Gold. That belongs to Simone. But Aly has a very serious chance at Silver. Which is thrilling.

If Simone does have an uncharacteristic major error in the AA final (like the beam fall in trials), I'd say there is a tiny crack in the gold armor that Aly could squeeze through if she is top of her game. It's amazing how on fire Aly is right now.

Of course hoping both ladies (and the other world competitors) HIT BIG and we see the best gymnastics the world has ever seen! :):)

Simone was a lock coming in...her performance so far has been great but not the dominant performance of her past world championships. If Aly had competed all events last night, she would have only been 8 to 9 tenths behind Simone. That kind of lead is no lock.

Simone was a lock coming in...her performance so far has been great but not the dominant performance of her past world championships. If Aly had competed all events last night, she would have only been 8 to 9 tenths behind Simone. That kind of lead is no lock.

And remember that the Olympics is an entirely different kind of competition. Gabby learned that in London: after dominating AA she fell way short on the individual competitions. Simone has never been here before, Aly has. It seems so unbelievable that Simone could be beat since she has dominated every competition for the past several years. But, she still has to maintain her focus and energy for several more days. I think she will win AA gold, but I don't consider it a sure thing. Aly is right behind her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back