Parents Wonky grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cloe Forner

Proud Parent
Ok, DD has decided to finally try grips! However, are the holes supposed to be so wonky looking? And how far down on her finger should they go?

Attachments

• PXL_20220816_231354050.jpg
    PXL_20220816_231354050.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 94
My daughters grip holes are not wonky, but I've seen holes that can be wonky(my kiddo has custom grips due to an odd hand shape-so hers are different than most-i mean theyre all the same, but theyre also all different-its like shoes).

Just use a bit of sandpaper wrapped around a pencil to work any funky edges/uncomfortable fit.

The holes should go approx halfway down the fingers(like just past the big knuckle)

Although I am sure your coaches could give you more specific info :)

I don't know how to edit.

I just went & grabbed DDs grips, the finger hole is actually cut out about 3/4 of the way or so & the piece still attached(I can put it back down and it almost makes it like a whole piece of leather again-probably did when they were new-lol).

They will be broken in when they can maintain almost a "bar shape" on their own(basically the leather will develop a curve).

Btw-when I said past the big knuckle....I am talking looking at it. It's between the first 2 knuckles...so is that above or below? Guess it depends on your perspective ;-))

I will also mention that if your daughter chooses to continue using and compete with grips, I HIGHLY recommend 2 pair!! You never know when one is going to rip, break, etc. Never do you want to be at competition without a broken in backup pair!!

I have seen girls at our gym use the same pair of grips for many years-and others who need 2 new pair to start the season every year because they're hard on them(my own DD seems to fall into the latter category, unfortunately), but in either instance you should inspect them regularly for any issues, and replace as necessary(move to the backups and order new backups :))...however I always view this as a perfect opportunity to remeasure/size them too!!

Good luck!!

It looks like the flaps of leather were cut off the holes. I grabbed a picture of grips from the web and you can see how the leather for the holes is still attached. Are the grips brand new?
1661298053968.png

Hard to tell from OP's photo but they look like palm guards rather than dowel grips. OP, do they have the wooden dowel just below the finger holes?

My daughters grip holes are not wonky, but I've seen holes that can be wonky(my kiddo has custom grips due to an odd hand shape-so hers are different than most-i mean theyre all the same, but theyre also all different-its like shoes).

Just use a bit of sandpaper wrapped around a pencil to work any funky edges/uncomfortable fit.

The holes should go approx halfway down the fingers(like just past the big knuckle)

Although I am sure your coaches could give you more specific info :)
Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back