WAG Woo hoo got grips! Wait, these things hurt.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LIGYMMOM

Proud Parent
DD was so super excited to finally get grips! What a rite of passage for a little gymnast. I thought she was going to sleep in them last night. Took a special trip to the store for wristbands and everything. She hangs on the bar one time and gets instantly frustrated. "OUCH, they hurt. They get all munched up." She was measured for them at her gym and is required to wear them. Is it normal for them to sort of hate them at first? Is there a "getting used to them" period? If so, how long before they feel normal? They're US Glove with dowels. Also, keep the rubber band on or snip it off?

Yeah, grips usually take some time getting used to, it can take as little as a couple of hours to a few weeks to brake them in. The velcro should be enough to hold the grips in lace so the elastic band is not required. Good luck with the grips!

Grips can definitely take some getting used to. Also do be surprised with some skills take awhile to get back with the grips.

i feel left out of the grip rite-of-passage but again, it's for dd, right! ;-)

all our old lvl 4's got them last spring after states to work on kips. chosen by their coach. they are white leather, tiny, buckled, and come with hot pink wrist bands. i wonder what brand?

all i did was pay for them... & get a hot pink velour grip bag at states to house them in. they are kept @ the gym, and whenever LL is wearing them she is way in the back of the facility on the bars.

i actually wanted to take a picture of her today in them, along with a leo she was wearing for the 1st time that she just earned for connecting all her bar routine. but -ack - it didn't happen. i will get to lay eyes on these things the eve of the first meet when i assume we have to take them home from practice to pack in her gym bag.

i hear there is an adjustment period, Ligym. all our girls were very young when they received them - age 7, so maybe that is why i haven't heard any complaints personally from our gym.

My DD has been rushing home from school every day and running to the mailbox looking for her grips. I just ordered them on Friday, but she thought they should be here by Monday. LOL We went to Academy Friday night and bought the wrist bands, and even found some in a color that matches her team leo. Hopefully both of our girls will get used to them soon!

My dd isn't loving her new grips either. They were required to get them but they are being allowed to get used to them gradually. Right now dd only wears them for the first 10 minutes of bar then she's had enough and takes them off.

My DD feels the same about her grips. They hurt. She says they are okay on the low bar, but she won't jump to high bar with them because they get bunched up and don't land right on the high bar. She is also only wearing them for 10 minutes here and there. Good luck!

i feel left out of the grip rite-of-passage but again, it's for dd, right! ;-)

all our old lvl 4's got them last spring after states to work on kips. chosen by their coach. they are white leather, tiny, buckled, and come with hot pink wrist bands. i wonder what brand?

all i did was pay for them... & get a hot pink velour grip bag at states to house them in. they are kept @ the gym, and whenever LL is wearing them she is way in the back of the facility on the bars.

i actually wanted to take a picture of her today in them, along with a leo she was wearing for the 1st time that she just earned for connecting all her bar routine. but -ack - it didn't happen. i will get to lay eyes on these things the eve of the first meet when i assume we have to take them home from practice to pack in her gym bag.

i hear there is an adjustment period, Ligym. all our girls were very young when they received them - age 7, so maybe that is why i haven't heard any complaints personally from our gym.
I know how you feel upstate. I did get to see the grips but since we're not allowed to watch I have to wait for the meets to see what she's been working on. I can relate to GymMom67's profile picture "I pay, she flips"! Because sometimes I feel like I'm just the checkbook. Then I also have to keep reminding myself, it's for her. :)

the anticipation must be killing you!

i see bits & pieces of routines. but bars - too far away to make out much. then the grips come off & are stored in some magical place in the back of the gym.

i touched them last spring when i had to label then with marker. because they are leather and buckled i felt like i was handling a miniature horse bridle. they were freakin' cute!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back