WAG Worried about summer training schedule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Summer is around the corner and I am lucky that I can have my 2 gimmies at gym most of the day...BUT I am worried about it being a heavy load.

Our gym has 3 training sessions of 3 hrs each per day. You can go for 2 of these session, or 6 hrs, a day if you want to....DD will go 3 one day/ 6 one day/ and so on.....They get plenty of rest in between sessions.

DS will go everyday 6 hrs....I always worry it is too much.....it is too much, but there is no way for me to do less since us parents work during the summer....

I will make sure they kids have a few 1 week breaks during the summer so they can do other stuff..

What are your kids doing??

I'm worried about the logistics of getting DD to gym this summer. All we know is that it will be a mid or early morning practice. I'm hoping for early morning. My DD will train 3 hours a day 4 days a week with a 5th day being optional. She will probably go the 5th day on days when DH is home from work and can take her, since she would rather be in the gym than any place else.

I can't finalize a few part-time jobs (soley for the "gymnastics fund" lol) until I know her schedule. It's frustrating.

I think as long as your kids aren't complaining about the time at the gym and you are giving them breaks as necassary, they will be fine and probably have tons of fun! Good luck!

My daughter will go Monday through Saturday 8-1 and then on Tues and Thur 4:30-7:30. Two days a week in the morning they have swim, track, and then gym. I will be interested to see how she does.

She will be this summer. She is level 8 but starting to train for elite testing. I think it will be a very difficult traning for her but she has asked to try it.

DD will be going 25.5 hours a week, starting @ 8:30am. That's about the same as she did last summer, and she did fine with it. It is SO nice to have her home in the evenings! While in theory I'm against homeschooling for the sole purpose of gymnastics, with the exception of truly the elitest of the elite, when I get to have her home evenings in the summer, I start to fantasize about a schedule that would allow her to do both gym and school AND be home for dinner!

I wish our gym would get a little more 'serious' about practice. My dd is level 9 and their summer practice schedule is only 16 hours... She will condition at home (her choice). She would be perfectly happy in the gym 2-3 times as many hours as they practice. Sadly, the closest gym to us that practices more is 2 hours away.

GymMom K, Would the staff consider letting her come in and do some "open gym" time while they are working with other groups? I know she is doing great within the limits they set but just maybe they would consider it. Good Luck to everyone else getting summer schedules set!

DD will be going 25.5 hours a week, starting @ 8:30am. That's about the same as she did last summer, and she did fine with it. It is SO nice to have her home in the evenings! While in theory I'm against homeschooling for the sole purpose of gymnastics, with the exception of truly the elitest of the elite, when I get to have her home evenings in the summer, I start to fantasize about a schedule that would allow her to do both gym and school AND be home for dinner!

Ha ha. I hear you! That is what actually turned me on to homeschooling. I got so tired of never seeing my kid and eating dinner so late in the evening. I figured it wouldn't kill us to try it for a year and I love it. If she were to quit tomorrow, I think I'd still continue with the HSing. Guess I'm just crazy that way ... or lazy. Sleeping in is the best. Although, I think our summer schedule has us starting earlier than usual. I'm hoping the rumor is incorrect.

Ha ha. I hear you! That is what actually turned me on to homeschooling. I got so tired of never seeing my kid and eating dinner so late in the evening. I figured it wouldn't kill us to try it for a year and I love it. If she were to quit tomorrow, I think I'd still continue with the HSing. Guess I'm just crazy that way ... or lazy. Sleeping in is the best. Although, I think our summer schedule has us starting earlier than usual. I'm hoping the rumor is incorrect.

Yeah, but my girls go to an awesome charter school. My lessons would never measure up. Sleeping in would be pretty nice though.

I have to agree. I can't wait for the summer schedule to start. 9-1 monday, tuesday, thursday, friday. I LOVE being home at night!

Morning and afternoon workouts are nice, especially considering the heat and it's so nice to get home at a decent hour to have dinner, etc.

One thing I would watch is their hands. I remember last summer we went from whatever their schedules were to 5 days a week (no saturdays except maybe for the lower levels). I remember by Thursday or Friday, the girls would complain of their hands just hurting so much to do bars. I think most of are optionals generally used to have Wednesday off and would work out Saturday morning (MTuThFSa). That extra day in between really helped their hands recover vs 5 days in a row.

It will also be a hard transition for those girls who sleep in a bit. Some of our girls were homeschooled so they were more used to waking up around 8 or 9 instead of going to gym. They pretty much dragged their butts around during the mornings. Bleh.

It generally is easier for the kids not doing that many days or hours (compulsory levels) to add on days or hours. It's a lot different issue with optionals and near L10's.

Bodies only adapt so fast and summer does tend to be short (2 months ish?) Something that needs to be considered. Your hands tend to adapt pretty slow compared to your body (such as legs, back, upper body, etc big muscle groups).

This is even a bigger issue with MAG, since 2/3rds of their training is with their hands vs a 1/4. Well something like that.

And it's something of an issue with wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

To reply to OP, I think your kids will do well with how you have it planned with breaks. Good luck with the schedule!

My gymnast will be working out 22 hours a week this summer. Same as last year, but this year she's 7 turning 8. She seemed to handle it pretty well last year, but I am sure being a bit older will help, too. Her group will work out m/w 9-4 and t/th 9-1. I have to agree with others, it is very nice to be have her home for family dinners at night.

No idea what my dd's summer schedule is yet. It usually is afternoons M-Th and then Friday morning, but I don't have the exact hours yet. This never works for me or my dh as we both work (and this will be my last summer before she has her license - she'll get her license in September). I basically try not to freak and it has always fallen into place. I might have to take my lunch hour to get her to the gym everyday - which stinks, but it's only 8 weeks (and I count down those 8 weeks the whole time). Pick up is not a problem because I'm out of work by that time. As for Friday, well dh is can usually drop her off and then as for her getting home, either another mom will help me or I end up taking my lunch hour early to go get her home.

Is this ideal, no... this is my last summer of doing it though, so I guess it's bitter sweet!

DD will get to sleep in late everyday! She has to be there at 12 which IS really awesome since she is not a morning person. She will stay till 6 pm some days and 3 pm some days. It isnt really that bad. The alternative Rec Camp, from 9-6 would not only be way easy, all her friends would be training away in team camp, which is hard. She would be majorly pissed....

The off weeks will be art camp and other enrichment camps.

I love training kids in a split week schedule. They get more done and have fewer aches and pains.

We do too! And I agree fewer injuries.

My daughter is home schooled and practices twice a day 4 days a week and once the other two days. We've talked with her coach about the concern for injuries with so many hours. He believes twice a day practices is the "safest" way to practice this many hours. Her and the other girls do schoolwork before the 1st practice and in between the 2 practices. If they have an nagging injury or pain, they ice while they are studying. It works well for us.

My daughter's gym essentially keeps the same evening schedule, though they go in a bit earlier and leave earlier.

They run a huge rec camp during the day (money maker) though they give the younger levels 4-6 and prep op the option of going to rec during the day and they train in their own group. Better overall for working parents.

I don't mind the same schedule because I teach so have the summer off and will still see her. Also, it gives her the chance to sleep in a bit (she's 14/Level 8) and also gives her the chance to do some summer type classes during the day.

We do go away for a week at the beginning and end of the summer so she has a break.

Overall, no complaints...I think it's tougher for working parents of younger kids, though.

We don't have our summer schedule yet either. I think it will most likely be the same as last year. Monday nights and then T-F mornings.(I think its like 22 hours) My Dd loves this schedule as it frees up her afternoons to go hang on the beach with her friends.

I am in a carpool with 3 other families so between all of us it is pretty easy to work out a driving schedule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back