WAG Would hair like this stay in well?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lucky me, my hair works very well in a bun. Long and blonde ;)

My friend, however, has hair that will never stay in a bun, and she saw this. I thought I'd check with you guys.

Will this stay in? Obviously, if she were to do it for a comp, a billion pins and hairspray, but even without that, do you think it would stay in?

Maybe with black or brown hair ties rather than rainbow, lol

I think it could, if you use gel at the base of each pony tail and throughout. I would start with the really tiny elastic bands and I would pull the hair tighter along the scalp.

My daughter has hair I never thought would stay in a bun. It does. So much can be done for the bun lol
Donuts, nets, gel, spray, bobbies..................

I used to wear my hair like that for meets and it worked great. We used tiny elastic bands and did smaller sections pulled tighter than what is shown in the video and my hair never moved.

Reactions: sce
I think it could, if you use gel at the base of each pony tail and throughout. I would start with the really tiny elastic bands and I would pull the hair tighter along the scalp.
lol, you took the words right out of my fingers ;)
At one point, we did "spiderweb" design for YG with the really tiny elastic bands and gel. That worked great for her and stayed in place.

Reactions: sce
I think this would totally work, of course with little elastics though. I've done something similar on my DD who has very difficult to manage hair (fine and wispy, falls out of everything) and it's the only thing that stays. I will have to try this variation, thanks for the idea!

I tried this with DD's hair on the weekend using tiny little elastics and it still looked perfect after a 4 hour training session. I did use quite a bit of gel/hairsray though just in case.

She got so many compliments from her team mates and coaches as well.

I just put it in tonight, it looks great and I'll update with how well it holds! I only used hairspray to keep it in place, no gel or pins.
WP_20170731_20_15_49_Pro.jpg

I just put it in tonight, it looks great and I'll update with how well it holds! I only used hairspray to keep it in place, no gel or pins.View attachment 6793
Aww, that looks so cute! I love how it looks. It sometimes looks great on the model, but weird in person, you know? I'm glad it looks exactly like the model!

I tried this with DD's hair on the weekend using tiny little elastics and it still looked perfect after a 4 hour training session. I did use quite a bit of gel/hairsray though just in case.

She got so many compliments from her team mates and coaches as well.

I'm glad you found something that works super well :)

Looks lovely, but still practical. I reckon that would stay in, because of the sheer number of elastics. To fall out completely, the hair would have to "bypass" so many barriers. The one thing I'd be concerned about is if you friend is doing backwards, which introduces friction to that area, and could make it messy. Stick bobby pins in the opposite direction to the circle shape, of course.

For an older gymnast, I'd probably introduce a braid (either make a rope braid, or wind a small braid through the otherwise unbraided hair) and use clear elastics. It would look very elegant.

So here's the hair after 24 hours, so sleeping plus an active day! A little wispy at the front but this has worked out really well. I think with single colored elastics it would be nice on an older girl as well.
Honestly, I think it almost looks better after the 24 hours! It has more volume, and the wispy hair was always going to happen :pEven if you did it perfectly, lol.

Oh, by the way, how long is her hair?

Wow, it stayed pretty well! I think if you used gel while putting it in, along with hairspray to finish it, it would stay even better.

Honestly, I think it almost looks better after the 24 hours! It has more volume, and the wispy hair was always going to happen :pEven if you did it perfectly, lol.

Oh, by the way, how long is her hair?

You know, I think you're right, it did look good with a bit of extra volume the next day.
It stayed in solid until the third day when I took it out to wash it. I would say this is even more solid than my go-to spider web for her.
She just turned 6 and her hair is about 3" past her shoulders in the back, shorter in the front- at her shoulders I would say. So, not that long. The last tail went halfway around her head again. This would still work with shoulder length hair for sure. For very long hair, like my ODD, I might try braiding the last tail and then wrapping it around, as long as it goes all the way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back