Parents Would rather quit than compete...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is there a strong emphasis on the scores at her gym? My dd will compete for the first time at 6 this year. I don't think that she has any idea that she will receive a score for her performance. She is excited to wear a fancy Leo at competition. Any time we have talked about it I have just said that competition is just the time to show everyone what she can do. I think it should be about working hard, learning and having fun at this level, and my daughter's coaches have emphasized that as well.

Her coaches are all about having fun and doing skills at a high level with no pressure regarding scores. My dd knows about scoring and competition from watching the Olympics. She was very vested in the fierce five and joined them in all their highs and lows. As far as decisions, I asked for help because I know that I will be the one who dictates what the next nine months will hold for her and want to have a healthy perspective. My plan is to tell her that she committed to team knowing that competition was a part of that commitment and that she needs to follow through and complete the season. In April she can reassess. I hope that is the right decision. I do very much appreciate each of your perspectives. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I think it's a good decision too. She can't drop out and not compete at this point because she's never even tried competing. She isn't going to find a sport or activity where someone isn't better than someone else. That's life--it will happen in school and it will happen in sports. It might be a little more obvious with meets and scores, but it's still something that will happen. And she can learn to cheer on her teammates no matter what the outcome--and find things that someone did great on, even if the score didn't show it. (personal bests, hitting a skill they never have before, etc.). She has the makings of being an awesome team member!

Just about everything she does in life is a competition of some sort. Would the coaches let her "ease" into competition? Maybe have her go to the 1st meet and just watch. She may find out its lots of fun with everyone cheering each other on and getting hugs/high 5s from coaches/teammates.

My DD started competing level 4 right after her 6th bday. She had been on team, but too young so she went to all the meets until she was old enough. She also said she'd rather quit than compete. She was dead set against it. I told her she would do 1 meet and then she could decide. I was actually afraid she would go to the meet and refuse to do her routines. She is very shy and would often at this age not participate at bday parties and things like that. Basically anything that had everyone looking at her. The funny part of this story is that she finally admitted her fear was not competing, it was her not wanting to stand on the "big box" and have everyone look at her. So she was afraid of awards. I reassured her it was her first meet and she would not have to stand on the big box. So she goes to the meet and wins the AA and all 4 events. You should have seen the look on her face during awards. She was so mad at me! But she LOVED competing. It is still awards that she doesn't like. That makes her nervous because everyone is watching.

My DD started competing level 4 right after her 6th bday. She had been on team, but too young so she went to all the meets until she was old enough. She also said she'd rather quit than compete. She was dead set against it. I told her she would do 1 meet and then she could decide. I was actually afraid she would go to the meet and refuse to do her routines. She is very shy and would often at this age not participate at bday parties and things like that. Basically anything that had everyone looking at her. The funny part of this story is that she finally admitted her fear was not competing, it was her not wanting to stand on the "big box" and have everyone look at her. So she was afraid of awards. I reassured her it was her first meet and she would not have to stand on the big box. So she goes to the meet and wins the AA and all 4 events. You should have seen the look on her face during awards. She was so mad at me! But she LOVED competing. It is still awards that she doesn't like. That makes her nervous because everyone is watching.

What a great story! My kids used to hate having people sing "happy birthday" to them because they hated being the center of attention. Ironically though, my gymmie said she loved meets because they made her feel "famous!" And it took her a couple of years before she made it onto "the big box!"

What a great story! My kids used to hate having people sing "happy birthday" to them because they hated being the center of attention. Ironically though, my gymmie said she loved meets because they made her feel "famous!" And it took her a couple of years before she made it onto "the big box!"

Yes my DD actually hid under the table at her 6th bday when the girls sang to her. She hates to be the center of attention. I think that's why competing is fine because so much is going on. Awards has a singular focus.

I also think she made a commitment and that she should stick with it. My DD is also very competitive. However, she doesn't really see gymnastics meets as a competition against others. The pure joy of her first "real" medal was priceless! I've never seen someone so ecstatic to get 10th AA! :D

"Okay, mom. I understand." Was dd's response to sticking it out until April. That was easy - for now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My daughter told me the same thing when facing her first competitive season. Since then she has come to really enjoy the meets and all that comes with them. The first season was a bit rough but after that, never an issue.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back