WAG Would this work as an xcel silver bar routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

procmadz

Gymnast
My DD is feeling uncomfortable with parts of her routine. She did some research and wants to change it to kip, front hip circle, cast, cast, dismount. Would that work? Her other possibilities would be doing two front hip circles or a single back hip circle, but she doesn’t like back hip circles. Suggestions?

Is the second cast a cast off to a stand dismount? If so, it looks like that only counts as 1 skill so that would only be 4 skills not 5. Here is the info that I found: When a skill is preceded by a cast, both the cast and skill receive separate VP/skill credit. Exceptions: Cast squat, stoop or straddle on, also with jump to HB, cast shoot through and cast off to stand dismount receive one (1) “A” Value-part in ALL Divisions and may not be used to fulfill the cast SR.

I am not 100% sure about this. Your best option would be to work with her coach.

I'm not sure if an undershoot dismount is considered a cast shoot through or a cast off to stand dismount as described in the USAG documents. If it is, then the cast/undershoot dismount is only 1 skill and another one is needed.

Good luck in getting this figured out! Sorry that I couldn't be of more definitive help.

I'm interested in this response as the parent of an Xcel Silver, but I don't know the answer. DD has a similar routine I think, but her SV is 10. I'm going to summon @raenndrops as she seems pretty knowledgeable about Xcel scoring .

The routine from the OP would have a 10 SV. But, a cast into an underswing dismount can be difficult, vs the underswing coming from a back hip. I would imagine a coach would prefer a different dismount if it is proceeded by a cast. But again the routine has 5 counting skills, a cast (has to be at least 45 degrees from horizontal), a circling skill, and a dismount.

@procmadz is a cast-straddle on-underswing dismount be a possibility? My DD and teammates do that when the cast-squat on-straight jump dismount is shaky.

My DD is feeling uncomfortable with parts of her routine. She did some research and wants to change it to kip, front hip circle, cast, cast, dismount. Would that work? Her other possibilities would be doing two front hip circles or a single back hip circle, but she doesn’t like back hip circles. Suggestions?
How averse is she to the back hip circle?
I would suggest kip, front hip circle, cast, back hip circle, underswing dismount.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back