Would you pay extra at a meet for this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would probably not pay, but then I am with the crowd that's a bit fumed over the spectators fees for meets.
I have already paid $100 for my dd to compete in the meet, then in our neck of the woods they want $15 per adult and $10 for my son who does not even watch the whole meet, but goes off with other siblings to hang-out, play ds games, and snack.

However, I think this is a better idea than having the host club gymnast roaming around the stands constantly asking if we want to buy raffle tickets. After saying no three times at the last meet, I almost went to ask the host club to stop the little girls who kept blocking the view, getting in the way of parents taping, and were loud and annoying at trying to push the tickets - like vendors at a big ball game hawking cotton candy - totally inappropriate at a gym meet. ( oh, and in the end, when they announced the winners of the raffle, the three biggest prizes went to the same parent from the host team who was working the raffle table!! Did not leave a good impression on us...)

That's my soap box for the day...
Hope you have a successful meet.

I would buy a ticket and think it is a great way to raise extra money. We did go to a meet that had face painting for $1.00 or $2.00 and they had a huge line, I thought that was a smart thing to do also.

Yes, I would pay! I think it's a cute idea & I know it is so hard to come up w/ unique and fun ways to make money. While I agree that meets are getting more and more expensive, I have three kids and can appreciate the efforts of trying to raise money for a club, booster, or cause. Every little bit helps off set expenses. I used to hate when my kids were little and had to "can" for sports programs, now it is a necessity that keeps expenses down. I never say no to any kid in front of a store anymore. My son recently had to do alot of canning and fund raisers to raise money to go w/marching band to Florida. I could not afford to pay $1,000 for him to go. I told him he had to make an effort to raise money where ever he could. We participated in citrus sales, candles, candy, cofee, ect...but it was mostly the canning that helped pave the way. He raised enough for more than half the payment and I am happy he accepted responsibility to work for it and thankful for our town for always supporting all our kids' organizations.

If you are doing it as a raffle before the meet I would charge probably a dollar. GREAT IDEA!

I think its a good idea. But i agree i would keep the cost at a buck a pop. You will probably actually sell more that way than if you charge more. Like someone else said people are more likely to plop down a 5 and get five chances..vrs 2 bucks for one. I dont like having to pay to see my child compete. But its something she loves..and she wants me there..so that is that. I do know that hosting a meet is so expensive. You have to rent the venue..the equipment..computer scoring system...judges (do you rent judges..bahaha) provide the food for the consessions..ect. ALOT of money goes into hosting a meet..and honestly the host gym doesnt rake in the big bucks from it. Do they profit?..yes if everything goes well.
We were thinking of little things to do to raise extra money at our hosted meet back in dec. Now next season i will have some suggestions..best seat in the house...shout outs...face painting. All things that you could provide the items for at a very low cost (rolls of tickets..someones extra couch ect. from their basement..lol..face paint) and could "sell" for a low price..but in large amounts..and really make a decent profit.

I tend to roam at the meet for video and photos of my DD and the team so a seat like that I wouldn't be interested in. I do like raffles but I prefer them to be in a stationary spot like next to the snack area where we can go and purchase tickets. Have the kids go around during the warm ups to sell them and let folks know where they can go and purchase them during the meet. May be once during the meet about 1/2 way through send them back out to sell and remind folks where they can go if they want to get more later. My DD loves the raffles. She usually wins them. I buy the tickets and she get them just before awards.

with meet entrance fees in the $80 - $100 dollar range for the gymnast and any where from $10 - $15 per adult to enter the meet nope not worth it.

I have entered a raffle for this at a meet before. I like the idea. I don't buy shout outs anymore because my DD never heard them !!

I would probably not pay, but then I am with the crowd that's a bit fumed over the spectators fees for meets.
I have already paid $100 for my dd to compete in the meet, then in our neck of the woods they want $15 per adult and $10 for my son who does not even watch the whole meet, but goes off with other siblings to hang-out, play ds games, and snack.
However, I think this is a better idea than having the host club gymnast roaming around the stands constantly asking if we want to buy raffle tickets. After saying no three times at the last meet, I almost went to ask the host club to stop the little girls who kept blocking the view, getting in the way of parents taping, and were loud and annoying at trying to push the tickets - like vendors at a big ball game hawking cotton candy - totally inappropriate at a gym meet. ( oh, and in the end, when they announced the winners of the raffle, the three biggest prizes went to the same parent from the host team who was working the raffle table!! Did not leave a good impression on us...)

That's my soap box for the day...
Hope you have a successful meet.

I think we must have been at the same meet!! There were a herd of little girls (about 4-5) with big signs for their raffle trying to hawk tickets during a Level 10 session!! By this point, I'm over buying 50/50 tickets so I too told them to leave the stands and to please stay out of the view I paid 10 bucks to see!

Back on topic though, no I wouldn't pay for it either...

Well, the fundraiser turned out very good! We actually had mostly adults wandering through the crowd before each session began and at the admissions table selling the tickets. Everyone really liked the idea and the booster club made over $200.00 from it!! It did not interfere with any of the competition and I was sooooo jealous of the people that won! The seats were VERY comfortable!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back