Would you send your DD - sick girl at gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter’s private school is installing cameras in every classroom to provide simulcasting of lessons for children who have to stay home due to allergy/cold/possible virus symptoms so they won’t miss two weeks of class, assuming in-person school even happens. It’s crazy, but in our state, installing cameras and upgrading the school’s technology is far easier than access to frequent testing.

I wish Public schools could afford something like this.

I wish Public schools could afford something like this.

My son and I have allergies so badly we'd be quarantined forever!

Our state is doing really well with testing and getting quick results. We are absolutely not a hotspot though and I have read about people waiting days for tests and up to 10 days for results. That is just horrible.

Reactions: sce
My son and I have allergies so badly we'd be quarantined forever!

Our state is doing really well with testing and getting quick results. We are absolutely not a hotspot though and I have read about people waiting days for tests and up to 10 days for results. That is just horrible.

I was meaning the video cameras, not necessarily being home all the time. Although, it is something to consider. HOw can we always tell the difference between allergies and illness? Always a conundrum :)

A couple weeks ago a parent tested positive, I don’t know about the athlete. However, not knowing if I had been exposed or my daughter thoughts were running in my head on if one or both of us needed testing when to be tested and how long it would take.

I don’t know about PP experience at work with the results and being in NY but we are in a hot spot. Hospitals are running low on the rapid test. In one case in L&D they ran out of testing medium so had to assume a positive on a mom (baby had to stay separated from mom in hospital)
It is taking people 3-5 days just to get a test and then another 4-7 days for results. Now only symptomatic are allowed at county testing sites and when they run out of the 150 tests available for the day that’s it. People have to wait in line for hours and try again the next day.

Unfortunately, while I like to think most people will isolate or quarantine whilst waiting on results the reality is a certain % will not. They are either feeling better, never got symptoms after knowingly being exposed, have a job where if they don’t go in they don’t get paid, etc . This is why school is so scary. We still do not have enough tests for when people really need them here in my city. Can you imagine adding thousands of possible vectors of spread now but kids are blown off and will not be prioritized at all for testing.

Unfortunately, while I like to think most people will isolate or quarantine whilst waiting on results the reality is a certain % will not. They are either feeling better, never got symptoms after knowingly being exposed, have a job where if they don’t go in they don’t get paid, etc . This is why school is so scary. We still do not have enough tests for when people really need them here in my city. Can you imagine adding thousands of possible vectors of spread now but kids are blown off and will not be prioritized at all for testing.

Also, there is no way case #s are going down if all schools reopen at once :(

I don’t know about PP experience at work with the results and being in NY but we are in a hot spot. Hospitals are running low on the rapid test. In one case in L&D they ran out of testing medium so had to assume a positive on a mom (baby had to stay separated from mom in hospital)
We still do not have enough tests for when people really need them here in my city.
Where in NY are you ?

Which words you read also matter.
You must of missed the part where I said “without the specifics“.
without the specfics we really don’t the reality of why it was 5 days

There is plenty of testing in most places. The turn around times are reasonable given the volume of testing being done and where it’s being done.. Timing matters.

A Friday test will take longer as there is a weekend to contend with.
If the lab courier picks up at 5 pm and you are swabbed at 6 pm.... it adds a day, right off the bat. 3-5 days is rather normal.

PCR testing is complex testing done at larger facilities. So most labs/hospitals send their tests out.

PCR is established methodology. The rapid tests are not approved for widespread use.

JMO, I‘d rather my test be done via PCR with a longer turnaround then a rapid test with a quick turnaround.

And in fact all testing is under EUA (emergency use authorization) here in the US. The amount of testing being done here in the US, daily is incredible.

This is very interesting and I did not know the specifics of the different types of tests. It took this girl 5 days before she was able to even get a test. Do you think there is a lab backlog, or is it simply that there are not enough tests for the number of people seeking them? It seems like her test results came back pretty quickly, considering the length of time it took to get tested. Sadly the situation in a lot of states now is like it used to be in NY - we are now dealing with crazy shortages while NY has caught up.

I’m in TX, not NY. Things changed very quickly here in the last 6 weeks. Do you think since NY seems to be over the “spike” that the state is doing well with testing and getting results back?
Sorry work overnight, misread

This is very interesting and I did not know the specifics of the different types of tests. It took this girl 5 days before she was able to even get a test. Do you think there is a lab backlog, or is it simply that there are not enough tests for the number of people seeking them? It seems like her test results came back pretty quickly, considering the length of time it took to get tested. Sadly the situation in a lot of states now is like it used to be in NY - we are now dealing with crazy shortages while NY has caught up.
Again without the the details I don’t know. 5 days to wait just to test seems rather odd. And that’s not lab backlog, that’s collection. Either not enough swabs or sites. Or miscommunication (Regarding where and how to get tested).

Around here PPE and swabs were an issue when this debacle started back in March. Not any more.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t strict controls in place. I get a mask at work anytime I need one but boxes just aren’t out like previously. (Side note, yes supplies do just develop legs and ”disappear”). We give swab counts in inventory every day to upper admin. Plenty of masks in stores.

Rapid tests are for L&D patients and in very limited supply, But other then that there are no issues with getting tested currently.

Personally, in the last month both my husband and I have been tested. Separate times and places. I had a fever, made a call to urgent care at 8 was home from being tested by 10. My husband was heading back to work, wanted to make sure his allergies were just that allergies. He called his primary, tested same day. There are also multiple walk-in sites here.

And yes higher volume areas will likely slow things down. But the testing is getting done. At it’s worse it was 7-10 days for results.

Side note, a negative test means you were negative at the time you were swabbed. With unexplained symptoms and a negative test folks should be staying home until at least until a couple days symptom free.

Which words you read also matter.
You must of missed the part where I said “without the specifics“.
without the specfics we really don’t the reality of why it was 5 days

There is plenty of testing in most places. The turn around times are reasonable given the volume of testing being done and where it’s being done.. Timing matters.

A Friday test will take longer as there is a weekend to contend with.
If the lab courier picks up at 5 pm and you are swabbed at 6 pm.... it adds a day, right off the bat. 3-5 days is rather normal.

PCR testing is complex testing done at larger facilities. So most labs/hospitals send their tests out.

PCR is established methodology. The rapid tests are not approved for widespread use.

JMO, I‘d rather my test be done via PCR with a longer turnaround then a rapid test with a quick turnaround.

And in fact all testing is under EUA (emergency use authorization) here in the US. The amount of testing being done here in the US, daily is incredible.

Actually I am not sure where you live, but as someone who lives in a large metropolitan area, I can assure you that testing is NOT abundant. there is most assuredly NOT "plenty of testing" in "most places". I know people who have literally had to wait WEEKS to get tested and results. Literally got their (thankfully negative) results AFTER their 14 days were up. I have a nurse friend who became ill from WORK and she couldn't get her entire family tested. The only one they tested was her husband- not her teen son! (and yes her husband did get it and was VERY ill.) So yeah, maybe in NY things are great testing wise, but trust me that it is NOT great and abundant down south.

Actually I am not sure where you live, but as someone who lives in a large metropolitan area, I can assure you that testing is NOT abundant. there is most assuredly NOT "plenty of testing" in "most places". I know people who have literally had to wait WEEKS to get tested and results. Literally got their (thankfully negative) results AFTER their 14 days were up. I have a nurse friend who became ill from WORK and she couldn't get her entire family tested. The only one they tested was her husband- not her teen son! (and yes her husband did get it and was VERY ill.) So yeah, maybe in NY things are great testing wise, but trust me that it is NOT great and abundant down south.
We are in the South, and this has been our experience as well. I think NY has gotten their act together. My youngest daughter had a few possible exposures but no symptoms. I wanted her tested (especially since she's been going to gym and has been around other people). I was told that our pediatric clinic's policy is not to test asymptomatic kids and to just quarantine them for 14 days if they have been exposed. Also, our whole family was really sick back at the beginning of the quarantine. This might not be relevant now because I think the lab instructions have since changed, but one of my girls was swabbed for COVID at the time. The lab THREW AWAY her swab because she tested positive for flu A and her upper respiratory panel was positive for adenovirus. Apparently the lab was told if flu results were positive, do not run the COVID test. What on earth?? It was very frustrating. We never did get her results back.

It seems like different parts of the country are varying wildly in testing availability and procedures. My parents got the virus (they're both recovered and seem to be doing well) and their tests were immediate and they got results within 24 hours. We don't live near them, but if I or my DD ever needed to get tested we would have to be symptomatic, make an appointment several days in advance, drive almost an hour to a testing location, and wait several more days for results. Our area is on the rise in terms of cases and we don't live out in the boonies. At that point it feels easier to just assume you have it and follow quarantine procedures unless you need medical attention. I have a friend living in a third geographic area who needed to be tested after a possible exposure and the lab was so backed up it took two weeks to get her results. She spent 14 days quarantining waiting to find out she was negative. It's ridiculous. I want kids back in school, I want to feel confident sending my daughter to gym, I want her to have a birthday party in a few weeks. But none of that is going to happen if people aren't mitigating consistently and we can't even get testing sorted out so everyone can make informed decisions.

In NY, just outside what would be considered greater metro area..

When I put in my zip code below 10 sites come up local to me. Most are within 10 miles. None more then 20 miles.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you

Yeah... In my county you can go thru your doctor's office, and pay for it. Or get an appt T/W/Th during the week to have one for free.

Yeah... In my county you can go thru your doctor's office, and pay for it. Or get an appt T/W/Th during the week to have one for free.

Oh, and you do need an appt at the doctors office. You can walk in but no guarantees that you will be seen if it is busy.

I’m in TX, not NY. Things changed very quickly here in the last 6 weeks. Do you think since NY seems to be over the “spike” that the state is doing well with testing and getting results back?

In NY, Long Island, here. There is no problem getting the test, I walked in without an appointment and was out in less than 10 min. However, in the last week the average wait time has increased from 3-5 days to 7-10 due to the increased number of people being tested.

There is plenty of testing. Without the specfics I don’t know the reason for the delay. I’m here at work and our fax machine has been spitting out Covid test results all night.

Example I had a patient the other night, couldn’t send the specimen because it was not labeled. That patient had a delay of at least 24 hours because the lab that does our testing had picked up for the day.
I am curious if there is a hierarchy for testing or for running tests (or whatever the terminology is.) Isn't getting a test result more urgent in some cases than others?

I am curious if there is a hierarchy for testing or for running tests (or whatever the terminology is.) Isn't getting a test result more urgent in some cases than others?
Yes and no. Basic treatment is not altered due to test results (at this point).You are treated as if, until otherwise known. Much like a flu diagnosis it’s for tracking.

There are tests that treatment depends on the result, ie, amount of insulin based on a glucose result.

Where it does matter, like L&D (there are 2 patients involved) that testing is a priority. So in our hospital system those patients get the rapid test.I imagine that is the case in most places. But before any one contradicts. I truly don’t know about all places. Other facilities may prior differ based on their needs and population.

Here in our state all surgical patients must be tested. If your surgery is elective you must test negative. Emergency surgery is still done, the patients are still tested pre-op but results are not known post op for 3-7 days. These are not typical times, anywhere. Especially in a country where some states have a larger population then a lot of countries.

As this is a new virus, none of the testing has been fully validated, regarding accuracy and specifics. Which of course complicates things as the false positive and false negative rates are not known.. Rapid tests are not necessarily very accurate.

And volume drives turnaround time. As surges wane, turnaround times will shorten. These are not typical times.

PCR is the gold standard of viral testing. The rapid kits are are compared to that when validated. It’s a complex test requiring many hours to complete. When I had my fever, I had my test done at a facility that sent the specimen to a lab that does PCR (same with my husband). Getting the results took longer but I have more confidence in the result. I didn’t want just a test result. I wanted a result that was accurate.

Side note, if you are symptomatic with flu symptoms, the name of it really doesn’t matter. You should be limiting contact with people. In other words stay home when sick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back