Would you send your DD - sick girl at gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD (level 9) is excited to finally be back at gym. Now a girl in her training group just fell sick with symptoms that could be flu, could be COVID, could be a stomach bug... The girl is getting a COVID test in a few days. Would you keep your kid home until the results are in? Might mean being out again for close to a week.

My DD (level 9) is excited to finally be back at gym. Now a girl in her training group just fell sick with symptoms that could be flu, could be COVID, could be a stomach bug... The girl is getting a COVID test in a few days. Would you keep your kid home until the results are in? Might mean being out again for close to a week.

When did she last have contact with the girl? When did the girl's symptoms start?

First, I assume the symptomatic teammate is not coming to practice, as of course they should not (covid or no, sick kids should not go to gym.)
As the gym is not temporarily suspending the whole practice group, presumably they believe whatever mitigation they have been doing means it is unlikely anyone caught anything from the sick teammate. If I agreed with that assessment, I would still send my child to gym.

To avoid exposing others, I would keep her home from everything (not just gym) until the teammate’s test results are available. If the test is positive, I would keep her home for 14 days from the last date when she was exposed to the teammate, or as long as recommended by local public health authorities.

Gyms, schools, and employers are going to have to get used to people being out for 14-day stretches due to exposure. With exposure at the gym, the owner and coaches could provide on-line conditioning for the exposed groups while they are out. For exposures that occur elsewhere and therefore only affect individual athletes, the gym could put together a 14-day home conditioning program: a list of exercises, recorded videos, and/or links to existing internet videos.

Not understanding why the girl is getting a test in a few days, surely testing is accessible considering the situation in the US.

Testing is accessible, but the results might take a while, because of the number of people testing.
My DD was required to do a COVID test for the overnight camp. We did the test on Monday, today is Friday, we are still waiting for the results.

I would not let the week out of the gym be a deciding factor. That is irrelevant. If you think your daughter may have been exposed then I would keep her home until the results of the test are in. You can always get your daughter tested to be sure.

I would definitely keep her at home until the other girls gets her results.

Besides, even if your daughter did not catch it, there is a possibility some of her teammates or coaches did, so the gym simply isn't a safe place at the moment.

I would keep her home until you find out of the teammate test results. If negative come back to practice and if positive stay out especially since they are in the same training group which means everyone else has been exposed.
Testing here for example can take you several days to even schedule one at CVS, urgent care etc. Right now only symptomatic are allowed to test at the free public testing sites and even then the lines are hours and hours long and is taking people multiple attempts/multiple days. I personally know of a nurse and her husband who got tested at a “hospital facility” and their results took 5 and 6 days. Many hospitals now are running out and rationing the rapid tests.

Yes.

Well that sure explains a lot, untested people with symptoms running around all over the place like Typhoid Mary.
Not really, untested people with symptoms know they need quarantine themselves until their results come back.

For me, it would depend on the amount of exposure. Were they standing next to and talking to each other or were they on opposite sides of the training area during the practices? The risk is dependent upon the amount of time your dd was exposed to this person and how close they were.

That’s a bummer. The thing is, even if your girl is not infected, it’s possible that others in the group were, so having her continue to go in means additional possible exposures. The gym should probably pause that training group for a bit.

The delays in testing is a big problem, and this is just one example. It’s very frustrating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back