Would you send your DD - sick girl at gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m so glad to hear this as my daughter goes in two weeks and I’ve been worried that it may not be super fun because of the restrictions in place. It’s her first overnight camp so she has no expectations :). We are lucky the camp is in Tennessee because my state is not allowing overnight camps at all.
My daughter went to Flipfest in one of the early weeks. Even with half the people, and all of the restrictions, she said it was the best week of her life. This was her first year at Flipfest so she had no basis for comparison to other years, but from what I have been told they worked really hard at Flipfest to keep it fun but also safe.

Dd is coaching at one of the big camps and it has gone fine. Significantly lower number of campers, extra protections put in place. Campers seemed to have fun, despite less rec activities. Coach/camper ratio is great. Lots of individual attn. Dd is living the experience as well b/c she is learning more coaching techniques.

@Getoutyall - she will have a blast. It was also my daughter’s first overnight camp, zero expectations to live up to. But I think it would’ve been great regardless. They did a phenomenal job of keeping it safe as possible but still fun and not weird. Capacity reduced to half, but 120 kids is still enough to feel like a big fun group but small enough they can easily space out and bonus, they all get lots of turns on all the gym equipment and rec activities and plenty of coach attention. I think my daughter spent almost all her free time tubing behind the jet skis and eating an alarming amount of candy and slushees. She had the best time and picked up more new skills than either of us anticipated. Expect to pickup a thoroughly exhausted child at the end!

My DD (level 9) is excited to finally be back at gym. Now a girl in her training group just fell sick with symptoms that could be flu, could be COVID, could be a stomach bug... The girl is getting a COVID test in a few days. Would you keep your kid home until the results are in? Might mean being out again for close to a week.

Do you have an update or information? Hope your daughter and teammate are healthy!

I’d send her. Every flu-like situation is not Covid. We live with infectious organisms/pathogens every where all the time. Unless the last couple hundreds of years were done completely wrong, and we were supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks every time someone around us gets sick, then it’s ok to continue with normal routines even if someone around you gets sick. As for the C19 scare, there are a lot of people coming down with it now and most of the ones I’ve asked about their symptoms (after they recovered) all say it lasted about 5 days, from the onset of a sore throat to the cough. We can’t give medical advice here, but there are some really good articles about HIT and how the virus weakens in severity as it makes its way through the population. I’m not going to link any, because that would violate the rules of this board, but you can find them online. If your daughter kept her hands off her face and wasn’t in the face of the other girl, she will probably be fine.

From what I understand, she needs to have had close contact (generally face to face) for a period of time. Less time in small spaces or with more people. I believe one country calls it the three “c’s”. Crowd, close spaces, close contact I think. Also if it helps, DD had some stomach bug symptoms several weeks ago- and it was JUST a stomach bug. While our family is VERY cautious with c19 we also try to remember that there are still other things out there circulating. Including a stomach bug which went around our area a month or so ago. ;)

OP here. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input. I decided to keep my DD home. The girl found out today she does not have COVID. She got her test result today-- one week after trying to get the test. Our country is f*&^*()ed.
There is plenty of testing. Without the specfics I don’t know the reason for the delay. I’m here at work and our fax machine has been spitting out Covid test results all night.

Example I had a patient the other night, couldn’t send the specimen because it was not labeled. That patient had a delay of at least 24 hours because the lab that does our testing had picked up for the day.

I would of likely sent my child, exposuse had already happened. That horse left the barn. But we would of not done a thing but gym until we knew the other kids results.

There is plenty of testing. Without the specfics I don’t know the reason for the delay. I’m here at work and our fax machine has been spitting out Covid test results all night.

Example I had a patient the other night, couldn’t send the specimen because it was not labeled. That patient had a delay of at least 24 hours because the lab that does our testing had picked up for the day.

Sometimes the way you respond to people closes down the discussion.

The OP stated the girl in question could not get a test for 5 days, that is the reality, and in her opinion it is too long to wait. This is also my opinion. That does not make your fax machine experience a lie, it just means your fax machine is spitting out results. But those faxed results in no way confirm testing is available quickly for symptomatic or asymptomatic people.

Words matter.

The OP stated the girl in question could not get a test for 5 days, that is the reality, and in her opinion it is too long to wait. This is also my opinion. That does not make your fax machine experience a lie, it just means your fax machine is spitting out results. But those faxed results in no way confirm testing is available quickly for symptomatic or asymptomatic people.

Words matter.
Which words you read also matter.
You must of missed the part where I said “without the specifics“.
without the specfics we really don’t the reality of why it was 5 days

There is plenty of testing in most places. The turn around times are reasonable given the volume of testing being done and where it’s being done.. Timing matters.

A Friday test will take longer as there is a weekend to contend with.
If the lab courier picks up at 5 pm and you are swabbed at 6 pm.... it adds a day, right off the bat. 3-5 days is rather normal.

PCR testing is complex testing done at larger facilities. So most labs/hospitals send their tests out.

PCR is established methodology. The rapid tests are not approved for widespread use.

JMO, I‘d rather my test be done via PCR with a longer turnaround then a rapid test with a quick turnaround.

And in fact all testing is under EUA (emergency use authorization) here in the US. The amount of testing being done here in the US, daily is incredible.

Words matter.

They announced a shortage of testing in our county again. It can take 5 days just to get in for an appt for a test, and then the wait for the results. It is sad. They are recommending that you start isolation at the beginning of any symptoms since testing takes so long. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.

So I can totally see how it took 5 days for this girl to get tested and agree that is too long to wait for the test, much less the results! :)

There is not plenty of testing everywhere. That is just false. In our state, the line for testing was so long at one of the drive thru sites that they ran out of tests 30 min after opening. That’s just one example. It is not that easy to get testing, and for children, we were flat out told over here that if they are asymptomatic, the doctors are not putting in orders for kids to get tested.

There is not plenty of testing everywhere. That is just false. In our state, the line for testing was so long that they ran out of tests 30 min after opening.

We are seeing similar in our state and county.

Took my Sister in Law a week (7 calendar days or 5 business days) to get her test results. She was symptomatic so she was able to get in for testing right away but there has been an increase where I am at so test results are taking longer.

They announced a shortage of testing in our county again. It can take 5 days just to get in for an appt for a test, and then the wait for the results. It is sad. They are recommending that you start isolation at the beginning of any symptoms since testing takes so long. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.

There is not plenty of testing everywhere. That is just false. In our state, the line for testing was so long at one of the drive thru sites that they ran out of tests 30 min after opening. That’s just one example. It is not that easy to get testing, and for children, we were flat out told over here that if they are asymptomatic, the doctors are not putting in orders for kids to get tested.

Now how in the world do you open schools if this is what is happening in some states? Nothing is really safe if people cannot get tested and get results back quickly. You cannot have a functioning society if employees, kids, etc. cannot get tested in a timely manner. We do have enough testing in our state right now, thankfully. However, cases are going up and so is demand. In a gymnastics context, without adequate testing, you have kids, parents and coaches walking around with allergy symptoms which could be covid and who wants to stay home, miss work, miss school for 10 days for allergies but you find out 10 days later it was covid :(

Which words you read also matter.
You must of missed the part where I said “without the specifics“.
without the specfics we really don’t the reality of why it was 5 days

There is plenty of testing in most places. The turn around times are reasonable given the volume of testing being done and where it’s being done.. Timing matters.

A Friday test will take longer as there is a weekend to contend with.
If the lab courier picks up at 5 pm and you are swabbed at 6 pm.... it adds a day, right off the bat. 3-5 days is rather normal.

PCR testing is complex testing done at larger facilities. So most labs/hospitals send their tests out.

PCR is established methodology. The rapid tests are not approved for widespread use.

JMO, I‘d rather my test be done via PCR with a longer turnaround then a rapid test with a quick turnaround.

And in fact all testing is under EUA (emergency use authorization) here in the US. The amount of testing being done here in the US, daily is incredible.

Clearly other people are not having the same great experience, accessing testing, that you are.

My daughter’s private school is installing cameras in every classroom to provide simulcasting of lessons for children who have to stay home due to allergy/cold/possible virus symptoms so they won’t miss two weeks of class, assuming in-person school even happens. It’s crazy, but in our state, installing cameras and upgrading the school’s technology is far easier than access to frequent testing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back