Parents Wrist bands for tiny wrists

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

k2bdeutmeyer

Coach
Proud Parent
Has anybody found a specific wrist band for under grips that works well for exceptionally tiny wrists? My daughter is a level 5 gymnast, but is TINY.....she's only 63lbs and any wrist bands I've found thus far just slide around on her wrists. She prefers longer ones for strap bar. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

My kid is definitely smaller than that, and she has had no problem with the wristbands that they sell at meets. I am not sure why they arent working for your dd....are her grips too loose so they are sliding? I mean, my kids wrists are freaking tiny as are her hands. She wears 0000 english bulldog grips, yes they do special order this size!

My kid is definitely smaller than that, and she has had no problem with the wristbands that they sell at meets. I am not sure why they arent working for your dd....are her grips too loose so they are sliding? I mean, my kids wrists are freaking tiny as are her hands. She wears 0000 english bulldog grips, yes they do special order this size!

We've never bought wrist bands at a meet. We just bought generic ones off Amazon. I should add that she's 11 and 63lbs. Shes very, VERY skinny. Her grips fit fine. If you have her put a wrist band on, you can physically see the gap. They are loose!

My daughter was just over 40lbs when she got grips and never had this problem and she us super tiny as well, like in the less than 1 percentile for height and weight. Her coach measured her for grips and ordered them at the gym, is that a possibility for you?

Does it matter that wristbands are a bit loose? once you put on the grips, they shouldn't move. My DD got her grips when she was 40 lbs and never had a problem with wristbands. I've actually never thought about it and I tend to overthink everything :p

We've never bought wrist bands at a meet. We just bought generic ones off Amazon. I should add that she's 11 and 63lbs. Shes very, VERY skinny. Her grips fit fine. If you have her put a wrist band on, you can physically see the gap. They are loose!
We had no luck with the ones from Amazon. And even with the ones we have, they can slide down to my kid's elbow if she just wears them on her own. But not with the grips. They dont move when the grips are tightened.

Has anybody found a specific wrist band for under grips that works well for exceptionally tiny wrists? My daughter is a level 5 gymnast, but is TINY.....she's only 63lbs and any wrist bands I've found thus far just slide around on her wrists. She prefers longer ones for strap bar. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Mine is almost 12 and 68 lbs so not that far off. I do recall getting the long ones from 10-0. And some at meets. I also find that when I wash and dry them, they tighten. When she wears them a lot, even with the chalk build-up, they stretch out.

Reactions: sce
Yes we use the dryer over here
Mine is almost 12 and 68 lbs so not that far off. I do recall getting the long ones from 10-0. And some at meets. I also find that when I wash and dry them, they tighten. When she wears them a lot, even with the chalk build-up, they stretch out.
yes, this!

My kiddo is just hitting 50lb and does have this problem with the wristbands for the strap bar. They slide all up all the time. But the same size under her grips is fine because she tightens the grips. The coach will usually give her wristband an overwrap with self grip tape (3M Coban) for the strap bar if they are sliding a lot. I'm not the biggest fan of this solution, but it works for now.

My kiddo is just hitting 50lb and does have this problem with the wristbands for the strap bar. They slide all up all the time. But the same size under her grips is fine because she tightens the grips. The coach will usually give her wristband an overwrap with self grip tape (3M Coban) for the strap bar if they are sliding a lot. I'm not the biggest fan of this solution, but it works for now.

The other thing I discovered re: strap bar (and maybe you already knew this but I'm late to the party), but there are different length straps you can use for strap bar. And they too can get stretched out. When the straps kept disappearing and the ones left were too big for my petite girl, our bars coach suggested she buy her own straps and put them in her grips bag. That helped quite a bit.

Thanks!
My DD is same age/weight. She hasn't had any issues with wristbands. Her coach orders for all the girls, they have the 10.0 wristbands, (like this but no logo http://www.ten-o.com/TENO-4-Wristbands,8227.html?b=d*235) and the ones from Snowflake https://www.snowflakedesigns.com/wristbands.html

The other thing I discovered re: strap bar (and maybe you already knew this but I'm late to the party), but there are different length straps you can use for strap bar. And they too can get stretched out. When the straps kept disappearing and the ones left were too big for my petite girl, our bars coach suggested she buy her own straps and put them in her grips bag. That helped quite a bit.
I agree, this makes a bigger difference than the wrist bands. Just like when you tighten the grips, if the straps are on right they will tighten around the wrist band

I would try some gymnastics ones from a grip supply company because we haven't had an issue even with some really small kids. http://www.usglove.com/double-wide-cotton-wristband/

They do have a longer one but I like 4.5 in better.

I would try some gymnastics ones from a grip supply company because we haven't had an issue even with some really small kids. http://www.usglove.com/double-wide-cotton-wristband/

They do have a longer one but I like 4.5 in better.

Off topic - I was reading the 'reviews' in that link and one woman said she washes her daughters wristbands after EVERY USE!
Call me disgusting - But in my 5 years of competitive gymnastics I think my wristbands got washed twice...?
Do people really have the time to wash them after every training?

Off topic - I was reading the 'reviews' in that link and one woman said she washes her daughters wristbands after EVERY USE!
Call me disgusting - But in my 5 years of competitive gymnastics I think my wristbands got washed twice...?
No I don’t have the time to wash and dry them between every practice without having a lot more pairs also my dd also doesn’t like freshly washed wristbands, not sure why but after they have been washed she leaves them in her grip bag to get chalky?

They take so long to dry so that seems pretty impossible. I don't think most people wash them more than once in a blue moon.

My daughter got very upset when I washed her wristbands and did some things to them with honey and chalk to make them sticky and gross again. She says they slide around too much if they are clean.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back