WAG Wrist pain from Yurchenko vaults

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ShesAMonkey

Proud Parent
DD has been complaining lately of pain in both wrists, and I suspect that it's because of the extra work she has been doing on vault lately, specifically on Yurchenkos. I know that some of the other girls at the gym have wrist support things they wear for vault, and I guess I need to look into some for DD.

The "name brand" are "Tiger Paws." But ten-o.com has these: http://www.ten-o.com/Golden-Hands-Wrist-Supports,10969.html and they are less expensive but they seem to be the same thing. Anyone have them?

But I know one girl at our gym wears these: http://www.ezywrap.com/p-1075-ezy-probrace-gymnast-wrist-support.aspx and they take the strap off that goes around the thumb, so it's just a wrist band thing. It just helps the wrist from hyperextending, I guess. Anyone have these?

Or??? Are there other options? I know nothing about this, other than I want to prevent further damage to DD's wrists.

The coach says if her wrists are hurting, then we can get her some wrist supports. I'm just looking for guidance as to the different varieties that are out there.

My DD had Tiger paws originally - lasted just over 2 years, and we recently purchased a new pair - cant remember the name off the top of my head, they were about $15 less i think, and looked almost identical, but after only a few months the stitching is already starting to come apart. I strongly recommend the actual tiger paws.

I have had several pairs of name brand tiger paws and they have lasted me around 2 years each.
I use them on vault, floor, and beam and they still last me this long. Using them only for vault, they could easily last 2 or 3 years.
The stiched on labeling comes off after about a year and they do get somewhat stained and smelly from a lot of use, but the physical product doesn't start falling apart for years. When they do start coming apart its usually just the leather and foam layers separating some around the thumb loop area. They still work even with this going on though.

You NEED wrist supports to work on yurchenko vaults. Watch any elite or NCAA competition. Every smart coach requires them.

Didn't Larry Nassar just develop a new one? I'm not sure if it's being manufactured yet, but I'll see if I can find a link.

DD has both Tiger Paws and Golden Hands. She prefers the Golden Hands based on the fit. I highly recommend running by the coaches as well. Mine has both pairs because we didn't realize that they needed tan color for competition. Not sure if that's a coach requirement or competition rule, but it's another good reason to run by the coaches.

DD and her group were all put into the Pegasus guards when they started training the flipping part of the Yurchenko. They are advanced to Tiger Paws as needed. DD, after two years of the Pegasus guards, will probably move to Tiger Paws this summer.

so why do some well respected pediatric sports orthos (we see one, very well known and respected in the field!) still say no to Tiger Paws?! The answer I have gotten is that they need to exercise to strengthen their wrists. Aaarrrggg! After watching the video (and noticing the girl's scar before he mentioned it!), I thought well, gee, they should all be wearing these!!

so why do some well respected pediatric sports orthos (we see one, very well known and respected in the field!) still say no to Tiger Paws?! The answer I have gotten is that they need to exercise to strengthen their wrists. Aaarrrggg! After watching the video (and noticing the girl's scar before he mentioned it!), I thought well, gee, they should all be wearing these!!

I would have to assume they have no concept of the amount of force and degree of flexion when performing some of these skills (and that goes for some gymnastics coaches too). Your hunks are moving the wrist into an extreme degree of flexion with a lot of force. Wrist strengthening is important, especially for stability and support while doing static skills such as a long handstand hold or stalder presses in a row, but it is kind of a separate issue from whether it is a good idea to wear wrist supports for yurchenkos.

I would have to assume they have no concept of the amount of force and degree of flexion when performing some of these skills (and that goes for some gymnastics coaches too). Your hunks are moving the wrist into an extreme degree of flexion with a lot of force. Wrist strengthening is important, especially for stability and support while doing static skills such as a long handstand hold or stalder presses in a row, but it is kind of a separate issue from whether it is a good idea to wear wrist supports for yurchenkos.
Clueless gym mom here.....what's the other vault besides yurchenko? Is it less force on wrist or the same?? My daughter is Level 9 and I think did the 'other' vault last season (1st at Level 9) I think she did a yurchenko at Level 8. Is that possible??
Either way, I feel like perhaps she should have wrist supports of some type!! Some girls at her gym wear them some not but it's not like grips when they say, here, buy these!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back