WAG wrist pain that comes and goes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
DD has had very painful wrists the past two workouts. Strangely enough, it hurt MORE after a few days off.
Last week before thanksgiving, she said her wrists were totally fine after working out for 3 days.....She says the tiger paws don't help either, but this may be because she is not used to them.
I will have her do wrist exercises and stretch over the next few days. .....
State competition is Saturday.
Anyone else familiar with this on again/off again wrist pain?

I can't help determine the cause, but I had this a couple of years ago. Left wrist only though.
Saw an orthopedist who seemed to think I was faking. Gave me the option of 1) wearing a full-on brace and not using the wrist at all for at least two weeks or 2) doing a couple of strengthening exercises with light weights. Obviously, I chose the latter. Didn't really help, the pain eventually went away on its own. That wrist still hurts sometimes, especially after I've done a lot of hands-on spotting.

I guess this is my extremely long-winded way of saying "get it checked out if the pain comes and goes consistently". You might just find a more cooperative doctor!

Yes, I always go to get the kids checked regardless.......in the interim, I am just trying to see how to manage it. Of course the dr. Appointment is AFTER the state meet.....I will give her the squishy ball to squeeze, and have her use her tiger paws until then. I hope the pain is ok by Saturday's meet......if it isn't, oh well, then she can do her best to get through the meet and we will lay off until the doctor.

It just seems weird how it can be fine one day, and totally not the next.....

My DD had the same issue. I took forever to bring her to the dr. Ended up being a growth plate fracture that was almost healed. Cast for 3 weeks.

I have the same issue. It's only during tumbling though. And tiger paws don't help. I don't know what the problem is, but if it keeps hurting maybe talk to the coach or go to a doctor to see if it's just a stress pain/pull.

From ALV_Gymnast

Was she doing anything different those two workouts? My DD used to get on and off wrist pain and eventually I figured out it was because she turned her hands out when doing flic-flacs, so sometimes it can be a technique problem.

Hmmmm, thinking about what you all said.......last night she did floor last and her wrists did not bother her at all.
She said she limited her tumbling and focused on form. Maybe tumbling on cold wrists can be causing her pain?, or maybe improper hand placement......I will try to observe her in the meantime. Dr appointment is next week and after my DS wrist issues, you can't be too sure with injuries....
Thanks!!!

Try to muddle through until after States (good luck!) and then get it checked out. My dd just had growth plate issues. Anti-inflammatories, ice and rest helped her.

Yup, states is saturday....then nothing for a few days, then doctor next week.
fingers crossed that its nothing.
:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back