WAG Wrist pain/Tiger Paws - again

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
I know this topic is out there and I have read some of the old posts/threads. I am having a hard time determining how everyone decided their gymmie needed Tiger Paws.

My DD has never had wrist pain, but has been complaining the last week about it only in one wrist. She says she has pain only when tumbling, on any other apparatus or when out of the gym.

Does this just sound like too much pounding (final)? DD is 16 and almost 5'6". She is a big, muscular girl doing level 8 type tumbling. She has been competing for about 6 years.

We have an appointment with our orthopedic in less than 2 weeks for check up on tib/fib healing, so I can hammer him with questions. But I would love some thoughts from experienced coaches and parents on tiger paw use - when and why?

Thanks!!

When my daughter's wrist got really bad, it hurt on every single event and on handstands during conditioning. She was also at level 8 at that time and was going through a major growth spurt.

Tiger Paws helped a lot for floor and vault, and she wore tight compression bands for her wrists on beam because the back handsprings hurt a lot.

She ended up taking about 3 weeks off right at the beginning of the season, missing 3 meets , but ended up finishing strong at regionals. So it was a happy ending to her season.

My daughter asked for them. She said that her coach (or maybe it was the level 10s in her group?) told her that once they got to level eight if they were having any wrist pain they should wear them. So once yurchenkos started bothering her a bit she asked me to get them for her. She wears them for floor and vault.

Dd just turned 12, is training lv 8 and started complaining of wrist pain this week. Went to ortho today and was diagnosed with Distal Radial Epiphysitis (gymnast wrists). She is in a splint for 3 week-obviously no impact during that time.

From what I've read, my dd is lucky. Some gymnasts end up casted and out for much longer.

Don't take it lightly! See the ortho immediately!

If she is doing Yurchenko vaults, get Tiger Paws for sure. Otherwise keep a close eye on things. Is she doing back handspring on beam? I would expect pain there too. Def check w/ ortho when you go in.

Dd just turned 12, is training lv 8 and started complaining of wrist pain this week. Went to ortho today and was diagnosed with Distal Radial Epiphysitis (gymnast wrists). She is in a splint for 3 week-obviously no impact during that time.

From what I've read, my dd is lucky. Some gymnasts end up casted and out for much longer.

I am so sorry your DD was diagnosed with this! Thinking many good thoughts for her recovery soon!!

I'm sorry to hear that! Sounds like you caught it early...

Did they need to do an MRI to diagnose that?

I'm sorry to hear that! Sounds like you caught it early...

Did they need to do an MRI to diagnose that?

No, just an X-ray. From what I've read, dd's is fairly mild. There was no other sign of trauma (fractures, etc), just an inflamed growth plate and a very very almost not noticeable area where possible new bone growth has developed (due to inflamed growth plate). So, as of right now, I consider dd very blessed and lucky! We are doing pt 2x's a day and saying our prayers-we will see in a few weeks.

Also, from what I have read, it seems like the yurchenko vault is the common problem. Who knows though!

Thanks for the input. I'll know more in 1.5 weeks when we see our ortho, but I guess I found it odd that it hurt only during tumbling, not anything else. After practice is over she forgets to ice and doesn't even think about because she feels nothing when not tumbling.

I, of course, worry all the time after her big traumatic injury and all I can think about is STOPPING it...hence, the tiger paws idea.

She is back to doing tsuk timers, which I just found out today. I thought she would never go near a tsuk since that is how she broke her leg. But maybe the addition of training new skills again is causing something to flare up. It is also only one wrist, so that makes me curious as well.

I just want her to get through the rest of HS without any more injuries!!!

Appreciate any other tiger paws stories, where they help relieve pain. Thanks so much!

Thanks for the input. I'll know more in 1.5 weeks when we see our ortho, but I guess I found it odd that it hurt only during tumbling, not anything else. After practice is over she forgets to ice and doesn't even think about because she feels nothing when not tumbling.

I, of course, worry all the time after her big traumatic injury and all I can think about is STOPPING it...hence, the tiger paws idea.

She is back to doing tsuk timers, which I just found out today. I thought she would never go near a tsuk since that is how she broke her leg. But maybe the addition of training new skills again is causing something to flare up. It is also only one wrist, so that makes me curious as well.

Appreciate any other tiger paws stories, where they help relieve pain. Thanks so much!

Dd's is mostly just vault and tumbling and immediately stops hurting when there is no impact. And dd wears tiger paws on vault and floor.

Just be cautious! I would hate to see anything get worse in 1 1/2 weeks!

Hopefully it's nothing! Sending you good vibes!

Dd's is mostly just vault and tumbling and immediately stops hurting when there is no impact. And dd wears tiger paws on vault and floor.

Just be cautious! I would hate to see anything get worse in 1 1/2 weeks!

Hopefully it's nothing! Sending you good vibes!
This is the same with my daughter. I don't want to mess around with it, so we're doing everything we can to keep it at bay.

I started using golden hands (ten.0's version of tiger paws) after I experienced wrist pain for about a month (after 2 1/2 years in gymnastics) and to the extent that it hurt to even pick up a pencil and write! At that point, I was told to take two weeks off and get wrist supports of some sort. That helped immensely! I seldom experience any wrist pain anymore with using golden hands on vault and floor. For me, I believe my wrist problems stem from being a taller gymnast with very small wrists that were not built to be tumbled on. Also, doing wrist strengthening exercises with a 'hand master' ball has helped too as my wrists were a little weak at that time.

I hate even asking this, but I do want to know (if you are ok sharing, if not I understand): How did she break her leg doing a tsuk?

I hate even asking this, but I do want to know (if you are ok sharing, if not I understand): How did she break her leg doing a tsuk?
Maybe this is obvious, but it was a bad landing. I can tell you more specifically if you want to know, but perhaps PM me. Not sure everyone wants to read about it. I wasn't there when it happened. I arrived when the paramedics were trying to get her settled to move into the ambulance, but it was described to me of course. I still shudder at the thought...

My DD got them after she broke her wrist at the growth plate when she was 11. Really we just got them to protect that wrist. She has used them ever since with barely any overuse type wrist issues ever.

My DD got them after she broke her wrist at the growth plate when she was 11. Really we just got them to protect that wrist. She has used them ever since with barely any overuse type wrist issues ever.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking - like protection. My DD says it weakens your wrists if you have no need for the protection. In other words don't just get them. ;)

She said it didn't bother her as much at practice last night, so I take that as a good sign....not getting worse. We see the ortho tomorrow morning. I am the epitome of working mom with her head removed because I thought the appointment was next week!

Is there anything I should specifically ask the ortho? He is pretty accomplished and knowledgeable so maybe I don't need to go in armed with questions.:D

My DS has had intermittent wrist pain for a little over a year, which at one point had him off most event work for six weeks. I highly recommend the rice bucket exercises for wrist strengthening (thanks again for that suggestion, @Aero)! We are also doing contrast treatment (2 minutes hot, one minute cold, three times) every night after he has a pommel horse rotation, and then I wrap the wrist before he goes to bed. Knock wood, he seems to be doing pretty well and has not had to take any significant time off since the fall. He lays off PH and pbar support when he has a flare, but he has not been diagnosed with any fractures, DRE, or anything else aside from the first diagnosis of stress reaction last summer. Wrist supports help, but you need to be vigilant, especially while they are growing!

I think I'd ask the ortho whether he thinks the issue is lack of flexibility or hypermobility. If it's the former, more stretching exercises would help. If the latter, you probably want to focus more on strengthening the muscles so that they are providing more support and stability. Tiger Paws seem to help most kids either way, but my two flexy ones have never found them to be all that useful. They've focused instead on strengthening, and DS is in Skidz, which both provide support and prevent hyperflexion on PH, VT, and FX.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking - like protection. My DD says it weakens your wrists if you have no need for the protection. In other words don't just get them. ;)

She said it didn't bother her as much at practice last night, so I take that as a good sign....not getting worse. We see the ortho tomorrow morning. I am the epitome of working mom with her head removed because I thought the appointment was next week!

Is there anything I should specifically ask the ortho? He is pretty accomplished and knowledgeable so maybe I don't need to go in armed with questions.:D
I don't think this is true. My daughter is very strong in her hands and wrists -- she's been thru a ton of PT and OT. However, skinny little girl wrists were not designed to take the kind of pounding and force a Yurckenko vault (and other tumbling) put on them. She has been instructed to wear them for vault and floor by both the ortho and PT.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back