wrist pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How common is wrist pain in gymnastics. My daughter who is 10yr-level5 last week started complaining of wrist pain during her floor tumbling. I had a couple of the coaches try to figure out what is going on there is no swelling and she is able to do her skills. She tries to act like nothing is wrong in gym but she will tell me my wrist is killing me during floor.

Here are two very recent threads discussing wrist pain. Read the articles that are linked in it. Wrist pain is very common in gymnasts, but training through it is not the answer. My 13 year old is going through this right now and is entering her 3rd week of no tumbling, vaulting, bars and any weight bearing activity on her hands. Very dull, but better that than the long term consequences.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/question-answer/27038-wrist-pain.html

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/question-answer/27044-follow-up-wrist-pain-tiger-paws.html

Don't take it lightly and leave it up to the coaches to figure out. Yes, she might be doing something incorrectly in hand placement in her tumbling, but it is certainly worth a trip to the md to get her checked out.

Bog-missed the post about older Bog having wrist pain. Poor thing, she has really suffered for this sport. Hope she gets the all clear to start back soon!

Thanks for the advice, daughter did not do tumbling for 4 days and she says it is better. I will wait and see if she continues to complain this week and then take her to the MD to have her checked out. Her coaches said she was fine but the head coach did recommend me to take her to the MD if it at all continues.

I've had recurring wrist pain for about half a year now - it got really bad during my season but I couldn't take off time while we were getting ready for states, etc, so I did train through it. It was not extremely painful. We went to a doctor who couldn't find the problem, as nothing showed on the X-ray and he couldn't recreate the pain by manipulating my hands and wrists. However, the week after states I did not do any back tumbling and the wrists have pretty much been fine since then.

I'm not sure what level you are, but more than 1/2 of my dd's gym's level 8's had fractured wrists last year. Most of it was due to the change in vault from handspring to tsuk.

MamaofEnS

My dd was a level 5 last year and had the same complaints. I did break down and take her to the ortho for xrays and evalutation. Nothing. So, some of the higher level gym moms recommended tiger paws...and it worked! She wears them to practice, not compete...but no more complaints!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back