WAG Wrist pain?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meganliz77

Proud Parent
I was sitting at 6 yo DD practice tonight and watched her as she practiced her standing BHS... She started grabbing her wrist after the second or third one. I finally grabbed a coach's attention and they intervened and had her stop doing skills which put significant pressure on the wrist. DD has mentioned to me before that her right wrist hurts -- not so bad she won't do any of the skills or that it will stop her but she will complain of some discomfort and then wring her wrists around. Based on my observation tonight it only seems to effect her during the BHS or ROBHS. She did her pirouette on beam, fly aways on bars, climbed rope to ceiling, press handstand (bar drill-- sorry new to this).... With no issue...

Is this something I should take her to the doctor for? Are her wrists just not strong enough? But since it's only one wrist I'm guessing not... I would hate to ignore something and have any type of permanent damage done because I overlooked something...or jeopardize a promising future in this sport either... Any advice for this clueless momma?

So to add to this... She says it mostly hurts on the mat she was practicing on (incline mat going backwards down it) and a little on the regular floor, and not on the rod floor... She said it sort of clicks?!

I was sitting at 6 yo DD practice tonight and watched her as she practiced her standing BHS... She started grabbing her wrist after the second or third one. I finally grabbed a coach's attention and they intervened and had her stop doing skills which put significant pressure on the wrist. DD has mentioned to me before that her right wrist hurts -- not so bad she won't do any of the skills or that it will stop her but she will complain of some discomfort and then wring her wrists around. Based on my observation tonight it only seems to effect her during the BHS or ROBHS. She did her pirouette on beam, fly aways on bars, climbed rope to ceiling, press handstand (bar drill-- sorry new to this).... With no issue...

Is this something I should take her to the doctor for? Are her wrists just not strong enough? But since it's only one wrist I'm guessing not... I would hate to ignore something and have any type of permanent damage done because I overlooked something...or jeopardize a promising future in this sport either... Any advice for this clueless momma?

Look at her BHS's. Does she turn her hands out in the BHS? Does she planche in her bhs? If her hands are turned out, then her wrists are bending wrong. Really take a look at how she's placing her hands down in her bhs.

On the incline mat, her wrist will probably be flexing more than normal.

The rod floor is more bouncy and absorbing than the spring floor.

All those other skills put less pressure on the wrist than a BHS which is BW+momentum.

Doctor, not really. Wrist stretching, laying off the rest (especially when it starts getting irritated) and maybe some wrist wraps/protection.

Look at her BHS's. Does she turn her hands out in the BHS? Does she planche in her bhs? If her hands are turned out, then her wrists are bending wrong. Really take a look at how she's placing her hands down in her bhs.

I think it may have something to do with her form... And I will pay closer attention to it in the future when I'm able to watch. What's frustrating is that I feel like the coaches should be making sure she is doing it correctly. DD is getting it in her head that she's doing it properly and we have already discovered how hard it is to unlearn poor technique... I don't want to step on their toes or look like a CGM, but I have to look out for my daughter. She's struggled with the BHS skill, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the issue...

On the incline mat, her wrist will probably be flexing more than normal.

The rod floor is more bouncy and absorbing than the spring floor.

All those other skills put less pressure on the wrist than a BHS which is BW+momentum.

Doctor, not really. Wrist stretching, laying off the rest (especially when it starts getting irritated) and maybe some wrist wraps/protection.

I had wondered if the angle of the mat had something to do with the discomfort she was feeling. It only appears to bother her when she is completing the skill. She doesn't complain of pain otherwise.

I get nervous as I just don't want to ignore something that could result in a more serious injury... I'm new to all of this and thank goodness I've discovered this site!

I think it may have something to do with her form... And I will pay closer attention to it in the future when I'm able to watch. What's frustrating is that I feel like the coaches should be making sure she is doing it correctly. DD is getting it in her head that she's doing it properly and we have already discovered how hard it is to unlearn poor technique... I don't want to step on their toes or look like a CGM, but I have to look out for my daughter. She's struggled with the BHS skill, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the issue...

Completely understandable. I don't think it would be stepping on toes. As coaches, we miss stuff. Yeah, to be honest, I still spot 15 year old level 10 boys on BHS's sometimes. It's a skill that needs to be constantly reinforced. At such a young age, you don't want her to have to re-learn the skill at 10 or 12 :). Like a kip, giants, all basics in general must be constantly reinforced. Good luck and I wish you the best and hope it all works out.

I know this is old, but I was wondering if the OP could provide an update. We are in a similar situation with our gymnast and are debating a doc visit. DD started complaining of wrist discomfort after a bad night with ROBH. She has been taping and we've forbidden at home handstands. We aren't at 2 weeks, but are close. She doesn't experience discomfort during other skills. Part of me thinks we should get it checked out, but part of me doesn't think we'll be told anything other than rest (at least that's what orthos have always told me after an initial appointment).

I know this is old, but I was wondering if the OP could provide an update. We are in a similar situation with our gymnast and are debating a doc visit. DD started complaining of wrist discomfort after a bad night with ROBH. She has been taping and we've forbidden at home handstands. We aren't at 2 weeks, but are close. She doesn't experience discomfort during other skills. Part of me thinks we should get it checked out, but part of me doesn't think we'll be told anything other than rest (at least that's what orthos have always told me after an initial appointment).

It seemed to resolve after I brought it to the coach's attention and they paid closer attention to her form. No complaints about her wrist since - except her recent issue totally unrelated to that though.

I would have taken her in though had it lasted any longer!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back