Parents Wrist pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastca25

Proud Parent
Dd is 8 training level 5. She has so much wrist pain with tumbling and handstands. She wears tiger paws but says they really hurt. Last time I took her to ortho, they did bone scans of her wrists and found nothing. He just said to rest them. She did rest them for 4 months because she was in a back brace for a stress fracture. It has not helped. Anyone have similar issues?

Are you at a reputable gym using sound training methods? Are there lots of injured girls on team? Chronic wrist pain and a stress fracture at this young age/level is concerning, imo.

Yes my dd is it at a very reputable gym and no there are no other injured gymnasts. Her pediatric sports ortho said the stress fracture or possible stress reaction is very common in gymnasts. He is thinking it was a stress reaction since she healed quickly and has zero pain now. Her coach is very careful about limiting BWO's.
As far as the wrists go, ortho also said that is very common. But, I wanted to post here to see if others experienced the same and what they did about it.

yes, been 2 1/2 years of chronic wrist pain with my dd. Tiger paws on floor, beam and vault - always. Not an actual injury, just like repetitive stress on the wrists, causing the pain. Lunate bone in both wrists tends to rub. Ice, tape and tiger paws.

I have an 11 year old level 9 with wrist pain . Orthopedic says very common in gymnastics where the growth plates are . Look up "gymnast wrist syndrome" and see if these symptoms are what your daughter is experiencing . We are finally healing but dr says this will come n go with flare ups until the growth plates close. (2-3 years) hope this helps!!

thought i should throw this in there...if your wrists can not flex beyond 30 degrees it creates havoc to the wrist joint. some kids are born this way. you can be hypomobile at the wrists. this is something that Doc's may not be aware of because they don't know exactly what metrics are placed on the wrists.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back