Parents Wrist pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rc1em8

Proud Parent
My daughter is having wrist pain with extension of wrist with weight bearing. Went to doctors growth plate fine but wrists very lax, a lot of movement. So he suggested tiger paws, whose head coach not believer in. Anyone have experience with this?

My daughter has them. When the girls went to L7, I think it was recommended by her coaches if there's any wrist discomfort to use them. She uses them as needed. Hope she feels better. I think the pounding gets worse as they train more. I think using something makes sense.

Did you go to a sports orthopedist? If not, I'd check with one before ruling out bigger problems. And if my kid's doctor said to wear tiger paws then I would expect their coach to not give me or DD a hard time. If there ends up being a growth plate issue your kid could be out for months and months.

Did you go to a sports orthopedist? If not, I'd check with one before ruling out bigger problems. And if my kid's doctor said to wear tiger paws then I would expect their coach to not give me or DD a hard time. If there ends up being a growth plate issue your kid could be out for months and months.
Agreed. And if need be, get the Dr's note that says needed for gymnastics. They won't mess with it then, because of medical.

I agree, I'd expect the coach to support her following doctor's orders. It's also often recommended here to use a rice bucket for strengthening wrists. Hopefully someone else will come along to explain or share a link.

Yes, your kid you decide. We went through this in the spring. Wrists are not by designed to be pounded on and support body weight, that's the legs job.

My kid is only a L5/6

She likes this one but she doesn't wear them for competition. She likes them because she didn't have to get used to a different "feel". She does have tiger paws, she knows if skids don't cut it regarding pain, it's tiger paws.

https://www.amazon.com/Skids-Wrist-...475862628&sr=8-1&keywords=skids+wrist+support

Yes, your kid you decide. We went through this in the spring. Wrists are not by designed to be pounded on and support body weight, that's the legs job.

My kid is only a L5/6

She likes this one but she doesn't wear them for competition. She likes them because she didn't have to get used to a different "feel". She does have tiger paws, she knows if skids don't cut it regarding pain, it's tiger paws.

https://www.amazon.com/Skids-Wrist-...475862628&sr=8-1&keywords=skids+wrist+support
Well at least those Skids aren't tires. What a name for a product!

Here is my son's experience with wrist pain.

My son developed wrist pain from pommel training (mushroom.) It got so bad that his coach, who does not believe in wrist support use generally, suggested wrist supports. But I was still wary.

So I looked online and found an article by a coach about working smarter not harder. In my son's case, this meant doing far less reps of circles and making sure form rather than quantity is stressed. My son and coach started using these ideas and in a fairly short time (a month or two maybe?) pain was gone. This was at least two years ago and no return of pain nor need for supports. And he does well on pommel so no apparent negative impact on skill development.

My son also did wrist exercises at home with a bucket full of rice sporadically for a while.

I have no idea what a girl would be doing repeatedly that might contribute to wrist pain, but maybe look into that with her coach and seeing is there is a place she could be working more quality over quantity. Even if she uses supports as well.

I have no idea what a girl would be doing repeatedly that might contribute to wrist pain, but maybe look into that with her coach and seeing is there is a place she could be working more quality over quantity. Even if she uses supports as well.

BHS and Vault typically kicks it up. Again, are there things you can do to mitigate? Sure.

And the simple fact is wrists are not meant to have repeated pounding and hold your body weight. That is why we walk on our legs and feet, not arms and wrists. We learned that the hard way.

I don't think there was one young woman on our Olympic team that didn't wear some sort of wrist support.

Reactions: sce
Guys, when I said I had no idea what girls would do repeatedly that causes wrist pain, I really meant I have no idea...because my team kids are boys, not girls, and for boys the typical problem area for wrists is pommel. I would only be guessing about what might be an area where working smarter not harder might be a good idea for girls and so I chose not to guess.

I was certainly not questioning the idea that girl gymnasts have wrist pain or need supports. Please do not take offence where none was given.

Also I do not know about OPs child, but when my son developed wrist pain he had only been doing gymnastics about 3 years, was a level 5 and about 10 years old. His coach's (and my) concerns about using supports was that at his level and developmental stage it might lead to strength not being properly developed in the wrist. I was not at all saying in any way that wrist supports are not needed and should never be used.

My oldest daughter is currently out with a wrist injury, she has been out for 9 weeks and still has at least another 3 weeks to go before she has another review with her physio. This year has been frustrating for her as this is her 4th wrist injury this year, including one hair line fracture, all happened in gymnastics doing very basic movements like front support mount on beam and handstands and round off's, my daughter isn't a high level gymnast either.

I did think that maybe it was her age (12) and is related to growth but she has a growth disorder and she look like she is around 6 years old and hasn't grown much. We have orthopaedics on Tuesday, she has been diagnosed as having a Congential Abnormality of the Right Distal Ulna so far which could be related to her short stature and she may have a condition called Madelungs, we will know more at her appointment, it may be highly likely at she can no longer take part in gymnastics unless a product like tiger paws can help support her wrist along with gentle stregnthening exercises, she is hoping to continue with trampoline at some point in the future if she gets clearance for her Orthopaedic Paedatrician and Physio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back