Coaches Xcel Gold bar changes for 2022-2023

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coach ash

Coach
Gymnast
So I was looking at the new changes for xcel gold next year, and one of the changes for bars is that you now need two circling skills. The routine we used last season was glide swing, pullover, cast, back hip circle, squat on, tap swing, tap swing, flyaway. I'm not really sure where we could add another circling skill except for on high bar. However, I only have one girl that can consistently do a high bar kip and another girl who is terrified to cast on high bar. Would a long hang pullover count as a circling skill? Most of my girls can do that already. Or would I have to have them do a back hip circle on high bar as well. Also would a double back hip circle count or a sole circle (not sure what your gym calls it but squat on and go around the bar)? I am open to suggestions as to what you are doing for routines for the upcoming season. Thanks in advance!

You can also do cast, and then two consecutive back hip circles. We have started playing around a little bit with different ideas. There are also a few of ours who are doing excellent front hip circle, cast, back hip circle as well. And then we have a couple who are really good at toe circles, so they will do that on purpose instead of just a way to save their falling squat ons, which is mostly what has happened in the past, lol.

You can also do cast, and then two consecutive back hip circles. We have started playing around a little bit with different ideas. There are also a few of ours who are doing excellent front hip circle, cast, back hip circle as well. And then we have a couple who are really good at toe circles, so they will do that on purpose instead of just a way to save their falling squat ons, which is mostly what has happened in the past, lol.
Does a toe circle count as a circling skill? We've played around with them I just wasn't sure if they would count as a circling skill.

Does a toe circle count as a circling skill? We've played around with them I just wasn't sure if they would count as a circling skill.
Our Xcel director told me yes. I was dubious too, but I just do what I am told. I'm actually stepping down from coaching Xcel for this season, but I'm helping through the transition this summer.

In the FIG code the sole circle is an ‘A’ skill but only if the legs stay straight the entire circle and it finishes on top of the bar. Not sure about Xcel or Dev/JO code but a tucked circle that falls to the high bar rather than balances and jumps would not be a skill

So I was looking at the new changes for xcel gold next year, and one of the changes for bars is that you now need two circling skills. The routine we used last season was glide swing, pullover, cast, back hip circle, squat on, tap swing, tap swing, flyaway. I'm not really sure where we could add another circling skill except for on high bar. However, I only have one girl that can consistently do a high bar kip and another girl who is terrified to cast on high bar. Would a long hang pullover count as a circling skill? Most of my girls can do that already. Or would I have to have them do a back hip circle on high bar as well. Also would a double back hip circle count or a sole circle (not sure what your gym calls it but squat on and go around the bar)? I am open to suggestions as to what you are doing for routines for the upcoming season. Thanks in advance!
Long hang pullover counts for gold. We're doing cast BHC, cast BHC on low bar.

Long hang pullover counts for gold. We're doing cast BHC, cast BHC on low bar.
Be careful that the second BHC has a different entrance or exit. You only get credit for a skill the second time it is performed if the entrance or exit is different than the first time. So cast BHC, cast BHC, cast would be exactly the same and only be considered one circle, as the second BHC would not be a value part.

Does it say that in the new code? I haven't gotten my new book yet but everything I've seen says cast BHC, cast BHC counts for the 2 circling skills as 2 separate skills.

General/Page 4
D. Xcel Code of Points elements can be recognized two (2) times for Value Part credit provided the element occurs in a different connection, (i.e., preceded or followed by a different element).
1. Exception for Floor Exercise only:
Acro Flight elements with hand support:
a. Are eligible to receive Value Part credit, regardless of the number of times performed, provided series are different.
b. Acro flight skills with hand support may also fulfill Special Requirements every time they receive VP credit.

They also use this routine on UB/Page 10 as a routine that has 3 of the same element but the element gets credit the 3rd time because the second time it had no value.
Pullover (A), Cast (A), Back Hip Circle (A), Cast (A), Back Hip Circle (No VP-exact same connection),Cast (No VP), Back Hip Circle (A), Underswing Dismount (A)

Honestly this is a tricky one that we see coaches get wrong all the time and a lot of time judges miss it and just give the 10 SV. Then it gets caught at states or somewhere that feels important to the athlete and it is a heart breaker. Hope this helps!

It says the circling skill can be “same or different”. So second back hip will count for gold. I understand where your confusion is because gold beam cannot repeat the same acro skill twice without changing the entrance or exit.

The back hip circle can absolutely count twice. It just cannot count twice if it is in the exact same connection. That is the same on all events at every level.

So if the routine went cast, BHC, BHC, cast then the second BHC has a different entrance or exit than the first one and counts. I’m only talking about if the routine is cast, BHC, cast BHC, cast. That would make the second BHC not a counting skill.

Like I show above, the example on UB page 10 in the code shows a BHC receiving credit a second time, but also shows the second BHC not receiving credit in the exact same connection.

Cast BHC Cast BHC will not work for the new requirements since the second cast BHC is the same exact connection as the first one.

You either have to directly connect the BHC like the current level 3 routine, or be able to do one BHC on low bar and one on high bar. My Golds have all worked on the two BHC directly connected and are now working FHC as a kip drill and a potential option for the future.

Our Xcel director told me yes. I was dubious too, but I just do what I am told. I'm actually stepping down from coaching Xcel for this season, but I'm helping through the transition this summer.
Thank you for the questions and reply they are most helpful to those of us working 2 and 3 jobs.

My daughter's coach is having her do a double BHC (twice around).
She's an excellent coach.
I want to say something to her, but I shouldn't, right? I should just zip it?

Okay, I know this hasn't been used for a while, but DD is competing gold for the first meet this season, if she does kip, cast bhc, squat on, jump to hb, kip, cast bhc, cast flyaway, would that work?

Cast bhc/cast bhc/cast squat on does count, the order of the squat on after the 2nd bhc makes it different. This has been spelled out in the October update to the xcel code of points.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back