WAG Xcel Gold Beam Routine Input

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom0824

Proud Parent
I already asked this in the Xcel social group and have one awesome reply already but would like feedback on a Gold Beam routine. Would this routine work for a 10.0 SV: Leap-Sissone, BWO, full turn, split jump-straight jump, front tuck dismount. I think it's missing a second acro skill, but the coach insists the dismount counts as a second acro skill? Can anyone else weigh in on this please? I have read over all the USAG code of points also. Thank you.

My dd's gold beam routine last year was split jump/straight jump, handstand, bwo, full turn, and back tuck dismount. I'm fairly sure you need another acro skill besides the dismount.

She needs another acro skill - the dismount does NOT count. Also, she only needs ONE jump series and as long as the jump series contains a jump with a split then she doesn't need any other jumps. All skills get scored, so the more "extra" skills you have, the more chance for form deductions, etc.

IMG_5170.JPG
IMG_5169.JPG

One of the Special Requirements is a dismount. Another is 2 acro skills. Then in the clarifications, it says all acro skills must start and finish ON the beam.

So they added a handstand into her routine with the caviat that "its to make me feel better" about her routine. Not even sure how to respond but I appreciate you all giving me this advice on the rules.

Reactions: sce
So they added a handstand into her routine with the caviat that "its to make me feel better" about her routine. Not even sure how to respond but I appreciate you all giving me this advice on the rules.
o_O They have the books, don't they? It clearly tells them what is required. I don't like that answer, either. It's a little condescending. But now she is good to go!

Yes she's good to go, but the couple others are not. Xcel is new this year, they're learning but this one just surprises me I think it's more she doesn't want to show she's wrong and the parent was actually right. I might sound snarky in here but I've been very polite about it with them it's just frustrating to want to say something and you can't. I'm a fixer and a policy person so it drives me nuts when I see stuff out of policy like this.

Yes she's good to go, but the couple others are not. Xcel is new this year, they're learning but this one just surprises me I think it's more she doesn't want to show she's wrong and the parent was actually right. I might sound snarky in here but I've been very polite about it with them it's just frustrating to want to say something and you can't. I'm a fixer and a policy person so it drives me nuts when I see stuff out of policy like this.
Ok... your DD is fixed. Either the other parents need to say something OR just wait until the first meet. When they don't have a 10.0 SV on beam maybe the coaches will inquire (or if at a small meet, maybe the judges will say something).
I am our gym's Xcel expert - If anyone has a question about Xcel requirements, the HC says to ask me because she gets them confused.

We had something similar happen the first year my gym did Xcel. My coach misread the requirements for floor and thought that a two jump series covered the leap series (it does on beam, just not floor). So at our first meet a few people ended up with the 9.5 start value. My coaches later found out after submitting an inquiry that it was the lack of a split leap in the series that was the problem. Maybe you could politely show the coach @GAgymmom 's screenshots of the code of points? Then the coach could see for herself/himself. I know this is tough situation you're in, I actually had to bring in pages of the COP to show my coach for another similar issue :rolleyes: (it was the first year we did xcel and my coach just wasn't super familiar with the xcel rules yet). Best of luck.

Reactions: sce
Based on our experiences I wouldn't show the coaches the code. I made that mistake once and the coach was infuriated and took it out on my DD by not allowing her a 10 start value out of spite. I know that sounds nuts, and it was. Taking the 9.5 will allow them to figure it out on their own and maybe learn from their mistakes.

I already asked this in the Xcel social group and have one awesome reply already but would like feedback on a Gold Beam routine. Would this routine work for a 10.0 SV: Leap-Sissone, BWO, full turn, split jump-straight jump, front tuck dismount. I think it's missing a second acro skill, but the coach insists the dismount counts as a second acro skill? Can anyone else weigh in on this please? I have read over all the USAG code of points also. Thank you.

How can I join the Xcel social group?

Also, as first year at xcel....if they are use to compulsory, their is a learning curve to reading optional code. Leave them be to figure it out. Once 9.5 SV show up....they will figure it out!

I'm a coach and will be coaching Xcel for the first time this season - I own the rule book and have read it, and then gone back AGAIN to double check, because I am putting my kids out there and I want to give them the best chance to have an awesome year. HOPEFULLY your coach will now go back and check the code on his/her own and change the other girls routines (because it will look really bad for the coach if she shows up at a meet and ALL her girls are missing a SR).

The other thing to be careful with for the acro requirement is if an athlete is using the SAME acro skill, they either have to be connected to each other (like a back walkover+back walkover) OR one of them has to be connected to another skill (ex: a back walkover by itself, and then a back walkover+jump) - otherwise no credit is given for the second skill.

Good luck to you all this season!!

I'm a coach and will be coaching Xcel for the first time this season - I own the rule book and have read it, and then gone back AGAIN to double check, because I am putting my kids out there and I want to give them the best chance to have an awesome year. HOPEFULLY your coach will now go back and check the code on his/her own and change the other girls routines (because it will look really bad for the coach if she shows up at a meet and ALL her girls are missing a SR).

The other thing to be careful with for the acro requirement is if an athlete is using the SAME acro skill, they either have to be connected to each other (like a back walkover+back walkover) OR one of them has to be connected to another skill (ex: a back walkover by itself, and then a back walkover+jump) - otherwise no credit is given for the second skill.

Good luck to you all this season!!
A series is not required. It says "isolated or in a series." They just need to be 2 different acro skills.

A series is not required. It says "isolated or in a series." They just need to be 2 different acro skills.

I think what was meant was that the two acro skills could be the same, but only if they're connected. Or if they're connected to something else. So, two acro skills required. Could be BWO-BWO connected but not separate. Or could just be a BWO and any other acro unconnected.

Correct, you don't NEED a series, but if you are using the same acro skill twice, they have to be connected to each other OR one has to be in another series (could be connected to a jump or dismount). You can also do two single acro skills, but they have to be different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back