WAG Xcel gold flight skills for floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All,

My daughter competed level 5 last year but AA only twice due to fear and mental blocks with tumbling. She is now xcel gold and enjoying it but still had to scratch floor at first meet because she wouldn’t even do a front handspring! She scored well on the other 3 events but really wants to compete all around. What are the easiest flight skills that can be connected! She needs 2 passes with 2 connected flight skills. Thank you!!!!!

We tend to compete lower difficulty floor.
Some girls do RO-BHS and FHS-RO
Some do RO-BHS and aerial or punch front
I believe you can even do RO-BHS and RO-BHS-BHS

Is her block both forward and backward? If she is willing to go backward, the previous poster is correct, she could do RO-BHS and then RO-BHS-BHS. If she won't do a FHS, then I assume forward tumbling is not an option. Blocks are horrible, I hope she is able to overcome quickly!

If she has at least one qualifying tumbling pass, would her coaches let her do the floor routine with only one pass? She'll get a deduction for failure to do a required element, but she'd at least get out there and get a floor (and then AA) score. Just a thought-- we've had some of our girls with blocks continue to compete but take the deduction for the missing element.

She needs 2 passes- it can either be 2 connected flight skills for both passes OR one pass of 2 connected flight skills and one can be an isolated salto/aerial (punch front, side aerial, front aerial).
RO-BHS
RO-BHS-BHS
RO-Back tuck
FHS-Round off
FHS step out-FHS
Side Aerial-BHS step out (non traditional, but I've seen it done a few times)
Front tuck step out-RO

She could compete either 2 of those passes OR 1 of those passes with either a front tuck or side/front aerial 2nd pass.

Unless it’s completely different in Massachusetts I know you can come move over anytime from JO to xcel and also if you compete level 5 you have to do platinum

Attachments

• C72543D4-C09E-461F-A34C-C8D080B3EF32.png
    C72543D4-C09E-461F-A34C-C8D080B3EF32.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 94
But she is not required to compete platinum, just that you can't enter the Xcel program from the JO program unless you have competed level 5.
Of course you can transition from JO to xcel prior to platinum. There is a level by level entrance chart.

Unless it’s completely different in Massachusetts I know you can come move over anytime from JO to xcel and also if you compete level 5 you have to do platinum
Read it again, that's the requirements to enter Platinum, no where does it say that you must compete platinum if you were a level 5. I read the whole section and I was at Congress when they explained the updates. They made these entry requirements because coaches were moving kids from Rec classes to gold or higher. This was to make the Xcel program more structured and safer. But just like in JO, you are not required to move up a level just because you you already competed it or even scored really high, there is no requirement to move to any Xcel level. That chart is the mobility chart, and has the guidelines for where you can enter Xcel(not where you must compete).

Read it again, that's the requirements to enter Platinum, no where does it say that you must compete platinum if you were a level 5. I read the whole section and I was at Congress when they explained the updates. They made these entry requirements because coaches were moving kids from Rec classes to gold or higher. This was to make the Xcel program more structured and safer. But just like in JO, you are not required to move up a level just because you you already competed it or even scored really high, there is no requirement to move to any Xcel level. That chart is the mobility chart, and has the guidelines for where you can enter Xcel(not where you must compete).
So you’re saying that you can theoretically go from L9 to bronze?

Maybe only in Massachusetts are there particular rules that state which xceL
Level you must compete depending on what level JO you competed

Attachments

• DC6EEB1C-064D-4DF2-89C0-05ADE1571FBC.png
    DC6EEB1C-064D-4DF2-89C0-05ADE1571FBC.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 45
I think I read that she can’t compete lower than gold because she did level 5.

Anyone know if she could do a dive cartwheel roundoff connection like on beam?

Thanks for the responses! She’s practicing front walkovers and keeps turning in the middle to finish as a cartwheel. Her block is very severe:(

Is her block both forward and backward? If she is willing to go backward, the previous poster is correct, she could do RO-BHS and then RO-BHS-BHS. If she won't do a FHS, then I assume forward tumbling is not an option. Blocks are horrible, I hope she is able to overcome quickly!

I was at Region 7 congress when they explained that update and they made it out as though if you competed level 5 you MUST enter at Platinum OR petition the state chair to enter at a lower level. However, in my experience, it does seem to be more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. Most states don't seem to cross check Xcel entries and the petitioning process is pretty simple if you have a kid who has been injured or dealing with some mental blocks.
From what Tootsmom posted it does seem Massachusetts is a little more on top of things in regards to ensuring all Xcel gymnasts are registered at the correct level.

Yes, that is correct (I know from experience) -- if you competed level 5 (specifically, at State, not just one meet), you are supposed to go to Platinum. However, it is fairly easy to petition down to Gold, and if you didn't have the mobility score in level 5, it particularly makes sense to do Gold. And in the case of the OP, the gymnast has fears and blocks, so she is absolutely in the right place.

To have both front and back tumbling blocks is really tough. Maybe it is a good decision to continue to scratch floor for a while, until at least one direction of tumbling comes back, or perhaps she can practice aerials for a while if that is less scary to her. Gold (and most of Xcel) is really flexible on skills, which is why we love it, but not sure if there is something that would qualify as a pass on floor. Unless she just goes out and does round-offs and takes the score hit for not meeting the requirements. Sorry to hear that she is going through this!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back