WAG Xcel gold floor question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,
Can xcel gold compete round off back handspring back tuck or is that a platinum skill? Thanks.
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 3.45.45 PM.png

It looks like XG only requires two connected skills. I don't see a deduction for a third and I am not spending $75 for the entire 2022-26 code of points.
Since she's not getting anything for the third skill, I'd skip it. There's nothing to gain and she can lose points if the handspring isn't perfect.

At our gym the most common passes for more advanced XG gymnasts is ROBHSBT and FT for the other. Most girls going to platinum competed this last season.
Interesting.
My daughter is moving to XG next year and I was looking at the rules, not the norms. :)
Such as the kip. The rules don't require it until XP it's the norm for XG.

Is a RO-BH-BT like the unwritten norm?

I know she won't do a single skill she doesn't have to so she doesn't lose points for something she didn't have to do. Risk-averse is her middle name. (not really)

Interesting.
My daughter is moving to XG next year and I was looking at the rules, not the norms. :)
Such as the kip. The rules don't require it until XP it's the norm for XG.

Is a RO-BH-BT like the unwritten norm?

I know she won't do a single skill she doesn't have to so she doesn't lose points for something she didn't have to do. Risk-averse is her middle name. (not really)
It really depends on the gym. At ours you pretty much need a kip or are super close to one to move to gold. And girls need proven skills to move up. If you can't competently compete a salto, you won't move to platinum. So at most gyms girls do need to compete harder skills to progress.

At our gym, we have a variety. Our gym's (not in the rules) requirements are that you have competed level 4, and be 13 or older by state. (this makes it so that all the little bitty girls don't have a custom routine to remember and they can push them into higher levels).

So at our gym, everyone's going to compete at least a ro-bhs-bhs, but some are doing ro-bhs-bt, and ro-bt.

A lot of golds compete that pass, but the minimum is only the 2 skills.

A lot of our girls actually scored better with a round off backhandspring back tuck and a round off backhandspring! But I would say most of ours do round off backhandspring and a front tuck. There are a lot of options, and for the new code, golds are now allowed to do some B saltos on floor, like a front pike, which our gym was excited about. We have some third year golds we just couldn't move to platinum because their kips are too weak and/or inconsistent (most of those athletes also have weaknesses on vault), so it's nice to have that type of option for upgrades.

Our Golds are required to have a kip, although not all of them have it with straight arms yet. They all have the goal of getting it competition ready by January. For front tumbling, they do either ROBHBH or ROBHBT. For front, it's either aerial or front tuck. Some girls are working on a connected front tumbling pass but I don't know if they will compete it or if it was a summer upgrade. Our gym starts working on kips in Silver -- but we don't have lower level compulsories, so they seem to have some different, or maybe just more strict requirements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back