WAG Xcel gold or JO Level 6?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am currently an Xcel gold gymnast, but looking to switch to level 6. I have most of the requirements, however I don't know if I should or not. Is this a good idea? Will it help me in my future of gymnastics?

1. Have you scored out of Level 4 and Level 5?
2. Will your coaches allow you to make the switch?
3. If you have "most" of the requirements for Level 6, have you considered Xcel Platinum? If your coaches don't let someone move up unless they have ALL the requirements, going to Platinum would be a good way to train to get the rest of the Level 6 skills so that you could make the switch in the future.

It’s possible.
I have 2 DD’s who will follow this path.
There is an age cut off for mobility through L4 and L5, I believe it’s 14 years old or freshman in high school. If younger than that, you will need to score out of 4 and 5 first. It’s possible to do that in a weekend if needed. You are able to compete at L5 if you score out of L4 with a 34AA first. My DD1 did a morning session L4 meet and an afternoon session L5 meet and scored out in one day.
Both of my DD’s were able to carry over their XG routines into L6 without issues.

I think there are a lot of factors at play here. First,how old are you? Do you have all of the skills needed for either? What is your goal?
I am 16, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I know thats a bit old for level 6 and xcel gold, however I am working on my own timeline. I have mostly all of the skills, including the following:
BARS:
-Back hip circle
-kip(working)
-cast to 45º above horizontal
-jump to high bar
-Flyaway(working)
VAULT:
-Tsuk vault
-front handspring
FLOOR:
-front tuck(working)
-Front handspring step-out
-2 BHS
-360º turn
-switch leap to a straddle jump
BEAM:
-360º turn
-jump connection
-cartwheel
-front tuck dismount(working)
I hope this helps!

1. Have you scored out of Level 4 and Level 5?
2. Will your coaches allow you to make the switch?
3. If you have "most" of the requirements for Level 6, have you considered Xcel Platinum? If your coaches don't let someone move up unless they have ALL the requirements, going to Platinum would be a good way to train to get the rest of the Level 6 skills so that you could make the switch in the future.
1. I think so, because in XG my highest score was a 37.250
2. I am moving, so I was looking to join a different program and take the sport more seriously
3. I have, however like I said before, I would like to take the sport to a more serious level, where I think that level 6 will push me more than the xcel program. Thank you!

It’s possible.
I have 2 DD’s who will follow this path.
There is an age cut off for mobility through L4 and L5, I believe it’s 14 years old or freshman in high school. If younger than that, you will need to score out of 4 and 5 first. It’s possible to do that in a weekend if needed. You are able to compete at L5 if you score out of L4 with a 34AA first. My DD1 did a morning session L4 meet and an afternoon session L5 meet and scored out in one day.
Both of my DD’s were able to carry over their XG routines into L6 without issues.
Ok, do you mind me asking what the routines involved? I am looking for new ways to put skills into my routine so that's why I was wondering. :)

A coach can best evaluate and see how quickly they think you will pick up the extra needed skills, but a few examples of skills that weren't listed that you would need to upgrade for L6 are RO-BHS-back tuck on floor, solid kip+cast (really important to have on both low & high bar from your jump) as well as a free hip on bars, and on beam a cartwheel+cartwheel series or a round-off or a back handspring. Different gyms will have different standards for each level. It's great that you recognize being on your own timeline and enjoy what you're working on, best wishes finding the right path for you!

A coach can best evaluate and see how quickly they think you will pick up the extra needed skills, but a few examples of skills that weren't listed that you would need to upgrade for L6 are RO-BHS-back tuck on floor, solid kip+cast (really important to have on both low & high bar from your jump) as well as a free hip on bars, and on beam a cartwheel+cartwheel series or a round-off or a back handspring. Different gyms will have different standards for each level. It's great that you recognize being on your own timeline and enjoy what you're working on, best wishes finding the right path for you!
Ok, do you have any tips for getting a back tuck? I'm having trouble controlling my body and the way it moves in the air and often times I don't rotate enough in the air. There is also a bit a mental block there as when I was learning my back handspring, I had a block too. Any ideas on how to just go for it? I am currently doing a drill where I jump back onto a stack of mats and roll backward, but I feel like that isn't helping my fear, but only helping my body get used to the position I'm supposed to be in. Thanks again! :D

Ok, do you have any tips for getting a back tuck? I'm having trouble controlling my body and the way it moves in the air and often times I don't rotate enough in the air. There is also a bit a mental block there as when I was learning my back handspring, I had a block too. Any ideas on how to just go for it? I am currently doing a drill where I jump back onto a stack of mats and roll backward, but I feel like that isn't helping my fear, but only helping my body get used to the position I'm supposed to be in. Thanks again! :D
It's also my goal to get my RO-BHS-BT by the end of this year, but I'm not sure I can do it. Any tips?

Ok, do you mind me asking what the routines involved? I am looking for new ways to put skills into my routine so that's why I was wondering. :)
Floor- tumbling passes with front tuck for first pass and BHS-Tuck for second tumbling pass, 360 turn

Bars
Kip to mount low bar
Cast to handstand
Clear hip
Squat to high bar
Kip on high bar
Flyaway dismount

Vault
Approach is no different than a L4/L5/Gold vault except you on stacked mats vs foot mats.
Can also do a yurchenko entry. L6 vaults were always team specific. Some gyms must have a yurchenko as a requirement for L6 because there were full teams doing them at meets, but not required for USAG standards.

Beam-
You will need some sort of tumbling connection if you don’t have a BHS. Most girls do a cartwheel-cartwheel or round off. Dismount as a tuck (front or back) or a branny.

Floor- tumbling passes with front tuck for first pass and BHS-Tuck for second tumbling pass, 360 turn

Bars
Kip to mount low bar
Cast to handstand
Clear hip
Squat to high bar
Kip on high bar
Flyaway dismount

Vault
Approach is no different than a L4/L5/Gold vault except you on stacked mats vs foot mats.
Can also do a yurchenko entry. L6 vaults were always team specific. Some gyms must have a yurchenko as a requirement for L6 because there were full teams doing them at meets, but not required for USAG standards.

Beam-
You will need some sort of tumbling connection if you don’t have a BHS. Most girls do a cartwheel-cartwheel or round off. Dismount as a tuck (front or back) or a branny.
Thank you so much! I can't do a yurchenko but I'm pretty sure I can make my tsuk higher for the level. For beam, can you do a cartwheel-carwheel back to back? some girls at my gym do a cartwheel-RO back to back. Would that work also? For bars do you have to have a handstand requirement? I thought it was only 45º above horizontal. Finally, for floor would a front tuck as the first pass and RO-BHS-BHS work? if not, what else could I do? Thanks again! :)

You can do a RO-BHS-BHS. You don't need a back tuck- although it is most common. You don't even need to go backwards at all. My daughter did FHS SO FHS SO RO last year in level 6. This year she did FHS SO RO BHS (into a straddle jump which I thought look cool.) Most girls do go backwards and the most common pass is RO-BHS-BT but it is not a requirement.

And it is also my understanding that just one of your casts needs to be 45 degrees above horizontal. My daughter never made it up to handstand.

Again, ask coaches because this is all gym specific. Our gym will not allow any XG transition to L6 without RO-BHS-BT but that is mostly because it’s needed for L5 floor routine. You would be an exception because of age, but most of our Golds are 9-12 years old and need to score out of 4/5 still. They won’t allow mobility to 6 if you don’t have the minimum requirements and scores for 4 and 5.
There is a gym local to me that won’t allow mobility to L6 if they don’t have BHS on beam, yurchenko vault entry, giants on bars, things that are not necessarily required for USAG standards but gym standards vary. I know this specific gym also requires an AA score of 36.5 twice in a season in order to have mobility within their own programs but USAG standards are lower and not necessarily required until you get to L4 in the JO path.

I was thankful our gym was pretty flexible. My daughter scored out of Level 5 with no problem and immediately developed a bad backwards tumbling block. I was really thankful she was in optionals at that point because she was still able to compete all events with all full start values and no back tumbling. This year she scored a 9.625 at Regionals with only the 1 bhs in her floor routine in terms of going backwards. She also did cartwheel-cartwheel on beam and scored very well with that (although she wasn't given the connection a couple times in the beginning which is a definite risk!)

You can do a RO-BHS-BHS. You don't need a back tuck- although it is most common. You don't even need to go backwards at all. My daughter did FHS SO FHS SO RO last year in level 6. This year she did FHS SO RO BHS (into a straddle jump which I thought look cool.) Most girls do go backwards and the most common pass is RO-BHS-BT but it is not a requirement.

And it is also my understanding that just one of your casts needs to be 45 degrees above horizontal. My daughter never made it up to handstand.
Ok thank you so much! this really helps!

I was thankful our gym was pretty flexible. My daughter scored out of Level 5 with no problem and immediately developed a bad backwards tumbling block. I was really thankful she was in optionals at that point because she was still able to compete all events with all full start values and no back tumbling. This year she scored a 9.625 at Regionals with only the 1 bhs in her floor routine in terms of going backwards. She also did cartwheel-cartwheel on beam and scored very well with that (although she wasn't given the connection a couple times in the beginning which is a definite risk!)
so just make sure the connection with the cartwheel-cartwheel is consistant, ok! Thank you, this really helps me!

I am currently an Xcel gold gymnast, but looking to switch to level 6. I have most of the requirements, however I don't know if I should or not. Is this a good idea? Will it help me in my future of gymnastics?
Hi! I coach the Xcel program up to platinum, and I'll make this answer as simple as possible. If you want to 100% commit yourself to the sport, then you should join JO. Xcel is made for gymnasts that enjoy the sport, but also want to play other sports or have a life outside of gymnastics. Doing JO is like having a job. It's very hard work with long hours. If you want gymnastics to be your life, then JO might be an option for you. If you want some outside time to yourself, stick with Xcel and just have fun with it :) I know this response doesn't consider your skill level or requirements to get into JO, thats a whole other topic that some people have already covered in this thread. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back