Parents Xcel --> JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello everyone. I am an Xcel Silver gymnast and I want to switch to JO. I have been scoring upper 37s and I have all or most of my skills for gold. Is it possible to switch to JO? I feel as I would fit PERFECTLY as a Lvl 5 but, I don't think my gym competes Lvl 5. (I think they go from Lvl 4-6). I've been doing some research and it said I have to "score out" out of Lvl 4. Would that mean I have to compete a season of Lvl 4? Can someone help me understand? Thank you!

You would not have to do a whole year of L4. You would have to learn the routines and get a minimum score at one meet. I think the score is a 34.
Switching to JO would be something that you need to discuss with your coaches. It is allowed but it is really up to your gym to allow the switch. If they go from L4 to L6, you would also have to test out of L5 by getting a minimum score of 32 at one meet.

I would talk to your coaches...you do not need to complete a whole season to score out, one meet can do it. But as to the policy at your gym, only they can talk to that. Good luck!

It is likely that you would do a full season in L4 first anyway. Even moving from Silver to 4 can be a big jump, especially in bars where you'll need a lot of new skills.

You can probably do one meet of level 4, one meet of L5, and then go to L6. You can compete level 6 basically as a Level 5, with even some Level 4 skills.
You will need:
  • A front handspring or tsuk timer vault
  • The level 5 bars routine, minus the baby giant
  • Two cartwheels in a row on beam (or something more difficult if you have it)
  • A punch front & roundoff two BHS on floor
Keep in mind a lot of girls in Level 6 will be competing harder skills, but it may be a better fit for you than Level 4. What skills can you already do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back