WAG Xcel Nationals for 2018?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I might be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of this. Our Xcel state meet isn't until the end of May, and that already makes for a painfully long season. They just added Regionals (Gold & up, invitational for Bronze/Silver) which is in early June. That's plenty. We aren't taking our Bronze/Silver kids- we did a few bigger invitationals during the season instead.
Bronze, Silver, Gold kids are pretty comparable to compulsory level kids, and levels 3-5 don't have regionals/nationals, so why does Xcel need that? It's just an added and totally unnecessary expense. But maybe I just feel that way because we are a month out from states me- and my team- are ready to be done with routines.

I agree completely, but it would be cool for platinum or diamond. Region 3 only does regionals for Gold and above. But what does bother me is that you don't have to qualify to state here. You just go.

It will all get worked out and scheduled................... And keep girls in gymnastics longer, creating more revenue.

Or they'll allow you to qualify to Nationals from States like USAIGC does? And I love the Bronze Diamond idea in IGC. Has Xcel toyed with that idea or is that yours, @raenndrops ?
Not raenndrops but IGC and USAG are not remotely the same when it comes to "Nationals". Apples to oranges.

I might be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of this. Our Xcel state meet isn't until the end of May, and that already makes for a painfully long season. They just added Regionals (Gold & up, invitational for Bronze/Silver) which is in early June. That's plenty. We aren't taking our Bronze/Silver kids- we did a few bigger invitationals during the season instead.
Bronze, Silver, Gold kids are pretty comparable to compulsory level kids, and levels 3-5 don't have regionals/nationals, so why does Xcel need that? It's just an added and totally unnecessary expense. But maybe I just feel that way because we are a month out from states me- and my team- are ready to be done with routines.
I'm glad to hear different opinions! :)

interesting. Considering it is next to impossible to qualify for regionals in region 6, I wonder how they will qualify for this.
.???

Regionals, Nationals are very competitive. And yes when they only take a select few it's exceptionally hard to qualify, that is the point. So if you are going to a 4 hr a week XCel program, that is rather relaxed, yes, you are not going to regionals. Because the 15-18 hr Xcel girls are. And they earned it and are really good.

The top kids go in the states go. IGC, Xcel, JO...... that is the way it is

interesting. Considering it is next to impossible to qualify for regionals in region 6, I wonder how they will qualify for this.
So true. There were 256 XG at NY States and only 19 made Regionals. The lowest qualifier was 37.00. It will be interesting indeed!

.???

Regionals, Nationals are very competitive. And yes when they only take a select few it's exceptionally hard to qualify, that is the point. So if you are going to a 4 hr a week XCel program, that is rather relaxed, yes, you are not going to regionals. Because the 15-18 hr Xcel girls are. And they earned it and are really good.

Oh for goodness sake, I know that. My girls have been doing gymnastics for long enough that I understand only the top kids go. I also understand that making regionals in region 6 is very very hard. Maybe harder than some of the other regions, maybe not. They take 60 kids total, in addition to the super 7 in each division. That is 60 kids, divided between the 7 states. Considering region 6 has one of the largest xcel groups, it is very very hard to make it. Kids scoring 37s didn't make it last year. There are many kids I know who have come in first at states, and have not made regionals. Three from our gym last year. And these girls are very, very good. Never did I say the kids didn't earn it. I said it was very difficult in REGION 6 to make regionals, so it would be interesting to see how they qualified. .

So true. There were 256 XG at NY States and only 19 made Regionals. The lowest qualifier was 37.00. It will be interesting indeed!

We have not had states yet, but I know last year there were 878 silvers and 38 went to regionals (31 plus super 7) there were 648 gold and 28 went for all stars and 7 for the state team.

YMCA offer Nationals for JO L1 and up and Xcel Silver and up. It is at the end of June every year.
Not many L1 or L2 go unless it is close to them. Some gyms don't let L3 go and others only let their Optionals go. Some YMCAs don't send anyone or only go if it is within a specific distance.

Our gym only has L3+, so anyone who qualifies can go. Only one practice a week focuses on preparing for the meet. The rest of the time, they are up training with the rest of the team.

To each his own.

.???

Not like that in every Region. Region 1 a 34 for silver, 33 for gold and 32 for platinum or diamond qualifies a gymnast to Regionals, so the vast majority qualify. Though not everyone goes. Region 1 championships had 1,600+ kids.

Not like that in every Region. Region 1 a 34 for silver, 33 for gold and 32 for platinum or diamond qualifies a gymnast to Regionals, so the vast majority qualify. Though not everyone goes. Region 1 championships had 1,600+ kids.
That could actually be hard to achieve if you are going 4 hrs a week. And even if you go to regionals, it would be unlikely you could move on to Nationals. Of course that would depend on the scoring of the region.

And the opportunity to go is also about revenue. Parents write checks much more willingly when they can say my kid went to regionals.

The opportunity to shoot for regionals/nationals keep kids in the sport, and kids in the sport is revenue.

. I said it was very difficult in REGION 6 to make regionals, so it would be interesting to see how they qualified. .
We are Region 6 too. We have done the regional dance.

Yes of course with many age groups and sessions there will be those who place first and not qualify. It happens.

That could actually be hard to achieve if you are going 4 hrs a week. And even if you go to regionals, it would be unlikely you could move on to Nationals. Of course that would depend on the scoring of the region.

And the opportunity to go is also about revenue. Parents write checks much more willingly when they can say my kid went to regionals.

The opportunity to shoot for regionals/nationals keep kids in the sport, and kids in the sport is revenue.
Of course any score could be hard to achieve for a particular gymnast, at any hours. That was not the discussion and is not what I said. You said about the qualifying process for regionals, "Regionals are extremely competitive". I was responding to that, laying out the qualifying process for Region 1, where 97% to 98% of xcel gymnasts who attempt to qualify to regionals do so. I would not consider that to be a very competitive qualifying process compared to what another poster laid out as happening in Region 6, and is all I was trying to say.

I think xcel nationals is an interesting concept, I'm interested to see how it all plays out next year!

Interesting. I not sure how I feel about this. It was exciting when Region 5 announced Regionals, because I remember feeling that our Xcel girls were getting something the lower JO levels did not have, and that was a +1 in our column for those that look down on Xcel. But like @coachmolly said, we just had States and Regionals aren't for another few weeks, and *I* am ready for the season to be done.

And is it legit? What is 360Sports?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back