WAG Xcel Nationals for 2018?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What's the point of such an email? If the host gym isn't abiding by usag's rules can't they just pull the sanction and the meet dies?

Nope, the meet won't die. Nothing says you have to have a sanction to have a meet, in general. You have to have a sanction if you want the meet to count for anything per USAG rules.

Remember, this is absolutely nothing more that another invitational meet and they are using the "National Championship" label as bait to get clubs to attend.

As I said before - buyer beware.

Nope, the meet won't die. Nothing says you have to have a sanction to have a meet, in general. You have to have a sanction if you want the meet to count for anything per USAG rules.

Remember, this is absolutely nothing more that another invitational meet and they are using the "National Championship" label as bait to get clubs to attend.

As I said before - buyer beware.

I understand that, but they are a sanctioned meet (they say so, and I believe it was confirmed earlier in thread). Would usag pull the sanction if they broke some rules? What's against the rules anyway? The name? They clearly say they are an invitational. They also added the caveat that if your region doesn't have a regionals, state scores can be used for entry. Seems like they're trying to emulate usaigc nationals (worlds). I still think it seems fun and since it's obviously not officially a "real" nationals, why would anyone at usag care. Don't some regions have regular invitationals in place of a regionals?

This is EXACTLY what the Region 8 Website says:
"Emails about Xcel "National" meet
Posted: 05.16.2017
Good morning Professional Members,

There are marketing materials circulating in the community regarding a 2018 Xcel Championships Invitational. It is important to understand that this invitational is NOT supported or endorsed by USA Gymnastics as an official Championship of any kind. The qualification requirements to this event ARE NOT governed by USA Gymnastics Women’s Rules and Policies. The athletes competing in the competition are participating in an Invitational, NOT a USA or National Championship.

If you have questions, please let me know.
Thank you,
Annie Heffernon"

As discussed above, we all already know this information. I agree with @MILgymFAM and others. As long as you know what you are getting into, its fine and could be fun.

This is EXACTLY what the Region 8 Website says:
"Emails about Xcel "National" meet
Posted: 05.16.2017
Good morning Professional Members,

There are marketing materials circulating in the community regarding a 2018 Xcel Championships Invitational. It is important to understand that this invitational is NOT supported or endorsed by USA Gymnastics as an official Championship of any kind. The qualification requirements to this event ARE NOT governed by USA Gymnastics Women’s Rules and Policies. The athletes competing in the competition are participating in an Invitational, NOT a USA or National Championship.

If you have questions, please let me know.
Thank you,
Annie Heffernon"

As discussed above, we all already know this information. I agree with @MILgymFAM and others. As long as you know what you are getting into, its fine and could be fun.

Thanks for sharing. The quote I posted was from Facebook, which just came up as I was scrolling through. I didn't go to the website.

I don't see the problem with the invitational itself but I can see how it would be misleading to some and I think that's why they clarified.

Thanks for sharing. The quote I posted was from Facebook, which just came up as I was scrolling through. I didn't go to the website.

I don't see the problem with the invitational itself but I can see how it would be misleading to some and I think that's why they clarified.

I mean, I guess I can see that it would stink to be misled- when wouldn't it…But at the same time, where do you go from "xcel National champion"? Nowhere really. Certainly not the Olympics… So I don't really see the big deal either way. It's just a fun thing to get to do, same as IGC or YMCA nationals.

ETA: I don't see why anyone is mad at the idea and I don't see that it's a big deal to go either. My ODD thinks it would be lots of fun. That's the entirely of my opinion on it.

Last edited:
I mean, I guess I can see that it would stink to be misled- when wouldn't it…But at the same time, where do you go from "xcel National champion"? Nowhere really. Certainly not the Olympics… So I don't really see the big deal either way. It's just a fun thing to get to do, same as IGC or YMCA nationals.
Its competition. Why not compete against the rest of the country. Its a cool thing.

Why should you not compete to the highest elimination you can?

JO L10 is not where they pick Olympians from, why have Nationals.

IGC has their own thing, as well they should.

Xcel has Regionals at levels before JO............

Its bragging rights................. And that is also ca ching.

Its competition. Why not compete against the rest of the country. Its a cool thing.

I agree. USAG is trying to water this Championship down and delegitimize it. Don't mess with The Man.

Definitely ca ching and nothing wrong with it. There is a difference between the others and JO nationals imo. Most girls who get scholarships will be culled from JO nationals, so it definitely has a different cache than igc or YMCA nationals, or this xcel meet if it goes forward. Other than that, I think we actually agree with one other.

The problem is, I think, using USAG sanctioned regional scores as qualifications to enter this meet. That is very misleading, as if USAG is sponsoring an Xcel National Championship. Its just an invitational, so I wonder how they can have requirement scores? that is the problem.

I think that's the biggest question I could see here. Can they set pre requisites for an invitational? Is there a rule against that?

It's not a USAG Xcel USA Championship. USAG is not trying to water down anything, they are trying to make sure people do not think this is actually an Xcel National Championship. It's an invitational.

Is the USAG the only gymnastics organization to call something a National Championship?

they are claiming that the scores from the USAG Xcel Regionals will be used as qualifying scores to enter this meet, giving the impression that USAG is endorsing this meet as an Xcel National Championship. It is misleading.
Is it illegal or wrong to use scores from USAG Xcel Regionals as qualifying scores to enter this meet?

I am genuinely curious now- may invitational meets (read a regular meet) have a qualifying score to attend? Is there anything addressing this in the xcel code of points?

I would think if it's an Invitational they decide who attends and what parameters. Including scores.

If it is not a USAG sanctioned meet then USAG has no say. Their code only address their sanctioned meets.

And on the other hand there would be no USAG trophies or medals or banners. And I would expect using even the word Xcel tied to championship would be problematic.

Didn't realize this meet wasn't an official thing.

The profiteers here are the company promoting the meet, not USAG. USAG does make a small amount per gymnast for sanctioned meets ($1), but that isn't where the profit margin lies. It is not appropriate to call this "Nationals" and use Xcel Regional scores as qualifiers if this level of competition isn't official for the Xcel stream. USAG doesn't have a Nationals competition in place. It may not be "illegal", but it certainly is shady.

While the meet itself may have an official sanction, it is being billed by the promoters as a level of competition not offered by USAG, so it is understandable why there is confusion and some feelings that all isn't on the up-and-up.

Here is the sanction:
https://usagym.org/pages/finda/curr...ending=false&search=CEL&committeeID=undefined

360 Sports is a company that hosts sporting events. They just hosted the USAG Region 4 Xcel Championships on April 21-23, 2017.

As for if it is legit, The logo says it is a USAG Sanctioned event, so if it isn't, USAG will let us knowView attachment 6685 .
It also doesn't say "Nationals". No way I read that "ad" and take it to mean an Xcel National Championship meet.

We do a "World Classic" meet in our area from time to time. We really didn't think it meant "World Championships".

What's the point of such an email? If the host gym isn't abiding by usag's rules can't they just pull the sanction and the meet dies?

If it is not sanctioned to begin with, there is nothing to pull.

Based on the ad above, it is clearly not a "National" meet.

ETA- it appears that the confusion is in how the ad is worded. Marketing BS
Circling back to ca ching.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back