Coaches Xcel Platinum Bar Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Caitlyn.gymanst

Coach
Gymnast
Hi everyone,

There are a couple current xcel gold gymnasts who I want to move to platinum for next season. One of my girls is super nervous about moving up because she doesn't feel prepared on bars. I'm looking to find some feasible routine ideas for her. On bars, she currently competes; pullover, cast to horizontal, back hip circle, cast squat on, tap swing, turn dismount. She doesn't have a kip or a free hip circle yet. Any "simple" routine recommendations? Any skill alternatives for free hip circles that still meet platinum requirements?

Thanks in advance!

I have never seen a platinum bar routine without either a clear hip or a giant. One of our girls did win state doing a sole circle dismount though (instead of flyaway). I think the SV is a 9.5 without the B circling element, but I primarily coach silver and gold, so I could be wrong on that. The kip, however, is a special requirement for platinum, so she would have to do at least one.

My daughter (competing platinum) does have a kip but no clear hip so she does this.

Not as pretty as in this video.. but I think it meet the requirement. That is what my daughter told me.. not a coach

My daughter (competing platinum) does have a kip but no clear hip so she does this.

Not as pretty as in this video.. but I think it meet the requirement. That is what my daughter told me.. not a coach
It appears that it is a B skill, 1.203 now, but I don't think that it meets the 360 circling requirement. The special requirements say that the circling skill can't be in the mount or dismount.

I like that skill. It’s so fun and unusual.

That is a long ways away then! We don't make final level decisions for our borderline athletes until the end of summer training. I coach gold vault and bars, and we are also balancing the up training and routine work right now. Our focus is on the front handspring vault and once they score a 9.5, they get to work the drills for front handspring 1/2 and 1/1 off.

On bars, most athletes have a solid pullover, cast, squat on, and then either tap swing to pullover or Kip, to sole circle dismount. So we are working kips, cast away kips, and kip casts, as well as introducing clear hip drills and cast handstands. They're consistently getting mid to high 9s on their current bar routines, so sometimes I will tell them to just hit 3-5 routines, and then we can work on their upgrades. A lot of the drills and progressions on bars can also be incorporated into conditioning rotations. We do not focus on flyaways until their kips and clear hips are solid. Our gym motto on this is: flyaways are fun, but clear hips are required.

Hi everyone,

There are a couple current xcel gold gymnasts who I want to move to platinum for next season. One of my girls is super nervous about moving up because she doesn't feel prepared on bars. I'm looking to find some feasible routine ideas for her. On bars, she currently competes; pullover, cast to horizontal, back hip circle, cast squat on, tap swing, turn dismount. She doesn't have a kip or a free hip circle yet. Any "simple" routine recommendations? Any skill alternatives for free hip circles that still meet platinum requirements?

Thanks in advance!
we have one girl who did a flyaway half for her B skill was falling on it and are going to take the 9.7 start value and just omit the B skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back