WAG Xcel Platinum Beam Series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kendalleverly

Coach
Gymnast
I am an adult competitive gymnast competing xcel platinum. Normally I compete BWO-BWO, but my lower back has been having some issues. I tried switching to HS-BWO but I am very inconsistent landing the HS square enough to connect (don't even get me started on cartwheels). I was wondering, could I compete BWO-backward roll as a series? Competition is in 4 weeks, so I need a relatively quick fix to get my series. I have been working BHS, but it won't be ready by this first competition. But if I land the BWO on 1 foot and scoop it down into a BWR, will that suffice? Thank you in advance!

I assume a BWO-backward roll could count as a series as long as there is no pause between the skills, but I have never see it done, so hopefully someone else can second that. Not 100% sure if all of these combinations could be considered connected for connection credit, but here are some other unique ideas
- forward roll forward roll
- handstand step down onto opposite leg, swing right through into another handstand
- BWO switch legs in the handstand portion of the skill, swing forward into handstand
- BWO switch legs in the handstand portion of the skill, swing forward into cartwheel
- BWO to one leg, swing forward to handstand starting with bad leg in front

If you happen to be able to do a roundoff or dive cartwheel (that actually achieves air time) that also works

In the Xcel COP they list 2x forward roll as an example for the beam series in platinum so I think it would almost certainly count as long as you move quickly into the back roll.

By the way, I’m also an adult doing Xcel and I’m using handstand step out to non-dominant leg, swing through to cartwheel as my alternate series for when my back is not feeling it for the BWO series.

By the way, I’m also an adult doing Xcel and I’m using handstand step out to non-dominant leg, swing through to cartwheel as my alternate series for when my back is not feeling it for the BWO series.
I'm terrible at cartwheels. They're the most inconsistent thing for me on all events. I would much rather walk over than cartwheel.

I was going to suggest a round off. Most of our girls can put it on the beam pretty easily.
I can't cartwheel very well. It's easier for me going in a straight line over my head in walkovers than twisting sideways to go over my head. I don't think a roundoff would be safe for me since my cartwheels are so inconsistent :/

I can't cartwheel very well. It's easier for me going in a straight line over my head in walkovers than twisting sideways to go over my head. I don't think a roundoff would be safe for me since my cartwheels are so inconsistent :/
Sometimes, roundoffs are easier on beam. I would give it a try on a laser beam or a floor beam (or with stacked panel mats).
If that doesn't work, then the BWO-back roll should be fine as long as you connect it. Have you thought about straddling down the BWO? Not sure if it would hurt your back more, but it might be easier to go into the back roll ... and it would look very cool!
Here is a video that shows HOW to get to the straddle down position ... from there, you would do the back roll immediately for the connection. Heck, you might even be able to do just this handstand (held for 2 seconds) into the backward roll.

I tried finding this in the COP and was unsuccessful. Can you send the link?
I'm on books version of the COP on iOS. Here's the page I'm referring to, you can see it listed in the examples for SR #3

What about doing a back walkover, swing through and kick up to handstand from your bad leg?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back