WAG xcel platinum floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof2gymmies

Proud Parent
Is there a minimum time for floor routines in platinum. I know it can not be longer than 1 minute 30 seconds, but can it be as short as a minute? Trying to figure out if DD needs a new routine.

Thank you. I think she meets all requirements. For tumbling she is doing a robhsblo and a fhsft, regardless of gold pr platinim. She has the full turn. Her dance pass is fine, just needs to increase the split. I need to check on the other parts, but I am glad that she won't need new music if she does move up.

No minimum length for any Xcel levels.
lol, the only reason i ever put a minimum on our girls (30 seconds) is because Jr. High team has a minimum (as does High School).
What I do when cutting music is determine if more time will help or hurt a girl. If it will hurt her (my YG's first year of Gold, I had her music at 39 seconds... and kept saying I needed to cut it more. All her requirements were met in the first 30 seconds and she was losing at least 1-1.5 points in the last 7 or 8 seconds.), I make it shorter. If it won't hurt her, I let it go a little longer until I find a really good ending.

We had a Platinum kid with a routine slightly under a minute- just did the bare minimum and did it very well. She got great scores. It was the same routine she had used in level 8 and was very well choreographed, so absolutely artistic and well done just no extras.

Hmm - in my experience (maybe I live somewhere different than you do?) you absolutely need to do the dance in between, and the best scoring routines have lots of dance. IDK, maybe it's different for other people

Hmm - in my experience (maybe I live somewhere different than you do?) you absolutely need to do the dance in between, and the best scoring routines have lots of dance. IDK, maybe it's different for other people
Of course you need to do dance in between... you have to get from point A to point B, but you can do a lot of dance and meet the other requirements in under a minute.

Of course you need to do dance in between... you have to get from point A to point B, but you can do a lot of dance and meet the other requirements in under a minute.
You're probably right.

In my personal experience, however, in Gold I had a :57 second routine with minimal dance (it was to aladdin). This year, in Platinum, with average level tumbling (ROBHSLO and front pike) I made it to regionals even though I screwed up my leaps (I did my leap at the wrong time, and had to switch out my other leap??? ), I still got a 9.5. I had a lot of dance (very dramatic, lol) and throughout gold a 9.0 on floor was something to be excited about. I've been consistently scoring 9.4+ on floor and I honestly think that it has to do with the dance. Most of the dance from other routine is filler, but if you have good choreography, it goes a long way. In my experience, ESPECIALLY if you have average or below average level tumbling (so say ROBHS tuck and Front pike, like I did at the beginning of the year), you really need to have great dance.

You can do whatever you want, I guess, OP.

(For reference, this was my routine)

You're probably right.

In my personal experience, however, in Gold I had a :57 second routine with minimal dance (it was to aladdin). This year, in Platinum, with average level tumbling (ROBHSLO and front pike) I made it to regionals even though I screwed up my leaps (I did my leap at the wrong time, and had to switch out my other leap??? ), I still got a 9.5. I had a lot of dance (very dramatic, lol) and throughout gold a 9.0 on floor was something to be excited about. I've been consistently scoring 9.4+ on floor and I honestly think that it has to do with the dance. Most of the dance from other routine is filler, but if you have good choreography, it goes a long way. In my experience, ESPECIALLY if you have average or below average level tumbling (so say ROBHS tuck and Front pike, like I did at the beginning of the year), you really need to have great dance.

You can do whatever you want, I guess, OP.

(For reference, this was my routine)
In Xcel, the "level" of the tumbling, as long as it meets the minimum, doesnt matter in your score. It is the EXECUTION of the skills you choose to do that affects the score.
As for your Gold routine with minimal dance not doing as well as your Platinum routine, it was probably the fact that your routine was better choreographed and you executed better. Also, judges don't know when you are supposed to do your leap series, and as long as it is an acceptable leap pass, changing it out doesnt matter either.
The judges judge what they see in front of them.

My OG, her 2nd year at Gold, never did the same exact routine twice. She would change her start... or her leap pass... or her tumbling passes... or the order she did them in. No matter what she did, clean scored well and not so clean scored not so well.

I was JUST at a clinic recently and while there are no COMPOSITION deductions in any Xcel level, they DO have the .3 artistry deduction that the optional JO levels have - so yes, they can have a short routine, but if you basically do a men's routine with music on in the background you can lose artistry points.

You do need dance, but lots of it is not always a good thing. Short routines that are done well score better than long routines with lots of dance thrown in there trying to fill time.

I think all of our Gold/Platinum kids have routines of around 1:00-1:05, all score VERY well. They have all requirements and plenty of dance that is very nicely performed.
I think artistry has a lot more to do with the quality of the choreography and performance than the length of the routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back