Parents Xcel program- how long does one stay on bronze, silver, gold typically?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
My 7 year old daughter is competing bronze this year. She is doing very well so far but it's very early in the season. Competitions do not start until November. My daughter is hoping that after this year she will move to silver. She has some higher skills than bronze already but they are still a work in progress. I was just wondering what is typical in your gym as far as how long girls stay on each one?

The skill set is wider for Xcel.

So Bronze would be somewhat comparable for L2/3
Silver would be somewhat comparable for L4/5, so a couple years wouldn't be unusual.

But it also depends on how good the skills are for the next level and how the coach deals with it.

Our kids don't move until their skills are solid, not necessarily stellar, but solid.

Xcel is just so broad that it can go a number of ways. There are gyms that move girls as soon as they have minimum skills for the next level. Some that require a much higher skill set for each level. We have even know of gyms to require a minimum of two years per level, regardless of where a girl could move.

OUr gym does two years at each level. The kids must have the gyms requirements to move (diff from xcel requirements). I have one bronze and one silver. In order for DD to move to silver she needs to have her kip and her squat on on bars, her robhsbhs, and at leasts a cartwheel on beam, but they like bwo. Our silvers compete the max skills, so the kids need to have them before they move. DD has everything, but she has only done 1 year, so she is stuck in bronze.

But, I believe it is very different at a lot of other gyms.

Really depends on your gym and their requirements. most girls can move one per year skill wise - or even skip a level, but your gym might have other requirements.

Based on what the PPs have answered, I don't think it would hurt to ask your gym directly, that way they will know she is interested in persuing this for a while, and that she WANTS to move up. It would also give you a better piece of mind so you aren't left in the dark. I've noticed (in the short time my DD has been in gym) that the more you ask, the better.

Like others have said it really depends on the skills competed and your gym's policy. For my DD it has been one level per season so far.

I've learned that different gyms have different requirements for each level. We saw Silvers at States with kips, but my DD did Gold without one. I think it also depends on how the gym is using Xcel. Our old gym used it instead of compulsories, and our new gym uses it the more intended way.

Our gym uses it instead of compulsories..for example the mill circle in level 3 that is never used again my daughter will not have to learn because she is on bronze. She competed level 2 last year (just one meet) and bars killed her. She had to scratch on bars. She also is physically ready to compete a robhs but not mentally so compulsories wouldn't be beneficial for her. Generally I believe they like the girls to score a certain number before moving up. I'm just not sure of that number. I was just curious about other gyms.

http://gymnasticshq.com/gymnastics-levels/

It depends on how it's being used. If they're going 5 hours/week it's not unusually to need a couple of years for L3 skills (silver). But really even at 5 hours, one year for bronze skills is usually enough. If the gym holds the kids back until they are super polished on the level they are about to compete, obviously it could take longer.

Most of our girls do 2 years per XCel level - especially for gold and platinum, but we had some this year needing to do a 3rd year of their level. Our state recently increased the state qualification requirement to a 34 for all Xcel levels, which is a hard score to get if you are missing key requirements, so that probably had a lot of do w/ the 3 years for some. I bet if not for the increase to a 34 for state, all of our last year 2nd years would have moved up.

What I've seen at our gym so far is typically one year for bronze, often two for silver, and then it varies more after that. But there have certainly been girls who only did one year at silver before moving up.
Our Bronze/Silver/Gold girls only go 6 hours a week. Platinum has one additional practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back