WAG Xcel Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone here do the Xcel program at their gym? It seems like this is starting to become the new trend. I'm worried it might take over the Girls Competitive program if we add it. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for this?

This really depends on where you live. In NC, many gyms have replaced their compulsory programs with xcel. The girls transition to optionals when ready (after scoring out of 5/6). It has worked really well here but most of these gyms have the same high expectations as compulsory programs, meaning xcel is not being used as a less competitive program with less hours, as it was originally created. Instead, it is being used as an alternative to the strict routines of compulsories. Other states in region 8 are also doing this but to a lesser extent.

But from reading other posts from different parts of the country, xcel is a secondary program in their gyms, for girls who can't or don't want to be in compulsory. In these gyms and regions, it is unlikely that xcel will replace the traditional program any time soon because the gyms view it as a lesser program. They would need to revamp of their entire thinking to make the xcel program one where girls can move up the ranks along side compulsory girls. This is happening in NC but it has been several years in the making. There are now safeguards in place to ensure the girls who are looking to go to higher levels are achieving the skills properly, as one of the requirements of competing the upper levels of xcel here is to score out of level 5.

Here Xcel is another option for girls who want to stick with gymnastics and compete, but do not or cannot give the time commitment required for USAG JO. The girls are putting in less time and doing fewer meets (and costing less money!), so they are obviously not at the same level as the JO program. It's a great option to have, IMO. Some girls go straight into it after pre-team (some are not given the option to do JO), and others will switch after L5 or L6 when the hours become too heavy. It allows girls that want to do other sports and activities, or who are struggling academically, to stay in the sport longer.

We have Prep Op at our gym, and it's exactly as Krystan describes it. It does not replace JO for us...it's an alternative for the girls who want a less serious program with fewer hours in the gym.

I think it depends on the state or region where you are. Some states are very competitive, like in the southeast. Other states, like the midwest, are pretty laid back about Xcel. I suggest you call other gyms in your area and ask them about it. I've found that most gyms are generally friendly toward one another, unless they're in the same town. :)

i got news for you. excel will overtake within 2 years.

Interestin prediction, Dunno. I still prefer JO I think, but Xcel should keep a lot of kids in gym.

I don't know about Xcel "taking over", but you guys probably know better. Maybe it's a regional thing? Where I am at is looked down upon as "lesser" than JO, or for girls that aren't "good enough". The reality is that it's also made up of girls that used to do JO but didn't want to turn their lives over to the sport. I think other girls do it that want to compete on their high school team as well. But the attitude toward it right now is still pretty negative - at least around here. I personally prefer JO because they focus on perfecting the basics. Much less time is spent on conditioning and making things perfect. However, if it keeps athletes in the sport (as long as it's done safely and they aren't chucking skills they don't have the strength for), I think it's a good thing to have.

Can u elaborate? Are u talking about the dumbing down of gymnastics, like a few months ago when a similar topic was raised?

I think it will happen too, but I think it will take longer. And I don't see it as a bad way to go. Look at the other countries. Most of them have "optional" routines from the start. I think the main reason we have compulsory here is for the judges benefit, not the girls. It makes it a lot easier to score the girls across the board if they are all doing the same routines.

The way I see it is that skills are skills. As long as coaches are adhering to a high level of mastery, it really doesn't matter whether those skills are placed into a predetermined routine or an individual one. But that is the predicament - for most of the country, xcel is a program using less hours and less emphasis on high mastery. These type of programs will not produce the caliber of gymnasts that can continue to move up the ranks to 8-10 and college. But if you look at region 8, you will see this happening frequently (well, not college yet because the program isn't old enough yet).

They are nationalizing xcel next year and there also seems to be talk about it gout under the JO umbrella. So they obviously have plans for this program. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have stardt collecting data on it to see whether it can produce similar results as the traditional compulsory levels.

We have Prep Op at our gym, and it's exactly as Krystan describes it. It does not replace JO for us...it's an alternative for the girls who want a less serious program with fewer hours in the gym.

This is exactly how we use Xcel. However, we are in region 8 and are finding that it is becoming VERY competitive.

This is exactly how we use Xcel. However, we are in region 8 and are finding that it is becoming VERY competitive.
We're in Region 8 as well, but the usage in our state is largely just a substitute for level 6. There are gyms that prefer level 6, but given how many other gyms do Prep Op instead, they're practically forced to do Prep Op to have other gymnasts at meets (you go to a meet for level 6, and you might have one or two other gyms show).

Can u elaborate? Are u talking about the dumbing down of gymnastics, like a few months ago when a similar topic was raised?

I think it will happen too, but I think it will take longer. And I don't see it as a bad way to go. Look at the other countries. Most of them have "optional" routines from the start. I think the main reason we have compulsory here is for the judges benefit, not the girls. It makes it a lot easier to score the girls across the board if they are all doing the same routines.

The way I see it is that skills are skills. As long as coaches are adhering to a high level of mastery, it really doesn't matter whether those skills are placed into a predetermined routine or an individual one. But that is the predicament - for most of the country, xcel is a program using less hours and less emphasis on high mastery. These type of programs will not produce the caliber of gymnasts that can continue to move up the ranks to 8-10 and college. But if you look at region 8, you will see this happening frequently (well, not college yet because the program isn't old enough yet).

They are nationalizing xcel next year and there also seems to be talk about it gout under the JO umbrella. So they obviously have plans for this program. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have stardt collecting data on it to see whether it can produce similar results as the traditional compulsory levels.

well i hope that it doesn't dumb down anything. i just believe that the 'registration numbers' are going to skyrocket and surpass any numbers that we have at level 7 and above.

well i hope that it doesn't dumb down anything. i just believe that the 'registration numbers' are going to skyrocket and surpass any numbers that we have at level 7 and above.

I'm not sure it really matters that the xcel numbers will be higher than level 7-10. I think it matters more if they outnumber the 3-6 levels. And then how many of these gymnasts continue on to L7 and beyond.

At my gym, the girls who have a place in the Xcel program are usually:
-older girls (maybe cheerleaders or girls who used to do gym when they were younger) who don't really have time to catch up to the JO program and don't want to practice with a group made purely of 8-year-olds
-kids whose situation means they can't afford the JO program financially or they can't practice so many hours per week
-kids who want to compete, but just for fun, or are also doing another sport and can't do the JO hours
-girls who were not successful in the JO program, especially at or past level 6, and especially if one event in particular is holding them back

It's great because it relieves the burden on the crowded JO program.

Region 8 also. Our gym uses xcel as an introduction to competition (those not ready for L4) as well as for gymnasts without the form needed for compulsory team or for those wanting less hours. It is also used for gymnasts who have completed L6 but aren't quite ready for L7 or are lacking one skill or event. The problem is that it has started to become very competitive especially in our neighboring states, (used to replace compulsories) so when the girls go to any of the larger meets, they are up against very serious and talented competition.

My daughter is currently in xcel in region 5. Not every gym in our state treats it the same way though. We've been at some meets where you can tell that some of the gyms use it more as an alternative rec program and practice less. Dd's gym uses it more in place of L6 as well as for some girls who are having trouble getting the skills to move on to L7. At Dd's gym, the girls did 1 L6 meet in November and then all moved on to varying levels of Xcel or even L7, if they were ready with giants on bars and back handsprings on beam which is a requirement for her gym. The L6/Xcel/L7 girls all train together for the same amount of hours, and most of the girls in the xcel program will likely compete L7 next season although some girls do stay 2 years in xcel.

It's interesting how xcel varies between regions though. We did one travel meet to a state in region 8 thinking that it would be the same since the levels had the same names. This was not the case, and girls there were basically competing skills that would be found in a lower level of xcel in our state, so it made for an interesting meet to get deductions for doing higher level skills and being outscored by girls doing the bare minimum but with very good form. They were throwing out some very high scores at that meet. Basically you had to score at least a 9.3 or more to place on anything, and there were several scores in the 9.5 to 9.8 range so it certainly seemed pretty competitive there to me.

It's interesting how xcel varies between regions though. We did one travel meet to a state in region 8 thinking that it would be the same since the levels had the same names. This was not the case, and girls there were basically competing skills that would be found in a lower level of xcel in our state, so it made for an interesting meet to get deductions for doing higher level skills and being outscored by girls doing the bare minimum but with very good form. They were throwing out some very high scores at that meet. Basically you had to score at least a 9.3 or more to place on anything, and there were several scores in the 9.5 to 9.8 range so it certainly seemed pretty competitive there to me.

What level did you compete in region 8. At first I thought you meant platinum but that can't be b/c most of those routines are a mix of 6/7, which sounds like where your group is competing as well. Btw, this is why USAG has chosen to nationalized xcel - so next year when you travel to a different region, you will know you're in the right level. Not all states will chose to compete all levels but at least everyones levels will match up.

We are in Utah. My daughter's gym competed xcel for 2 years and we loved it!! The program lets the girls have a little more flexibility with routines so if your dd can do a higher skill on beam than bars, she can add it and get the competitive experience under her belt. Our coach also loved that she didn't have to worry about superfluous items in the J.O. compulsory program (like how many steps are taken before a tumbling run or if the arms are placed at a particular ange) that don't really affect the level of gymnastics, but can negatively affect a score. Our gym switched to J.O. this year, though, because there just wasn't any competitive teams in our state. Our girls were very young, and very well trained and other gyms used the program as described above as an alternate to the rigors of compulsory J.O. Some gyms complained that we weren't using the program as it was intended. That complaint wasn't what ultimately led to the switch, but, rather the fact the girls didn't have much competition or challenge.

I don't see that what program you compete in is really what will make your dd's gymnastics any different. It is the difference in the attitude of the coach and how they approach training.

Agreed...I'll have to come back to this thread and talk when I have more time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back