Parents Xcel Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rufusgym889

Proud Parent
I have a few questions about xcel gymnastics:
1. How many years in each level?
2. What if a gymnast is not that good on a couple of events but really good on the other events? Can they skill move up a level?
3. How to get started as an xcel gymnast if they have never competed before?
4. Is scoring out needed? Say if a gymnast is good enough to go to platinum. Does she need to score out of bronze, silver, and gold?
5. Can it be "too late" to join xcel? Can, for example, an incoming junior start in xcel?

1. How many years in each level?
There is no specific minimum or maximum number of years. It just depends on having the skills to compete at the next level and meeting the minimum AA score to move up.

2. What if a gymnast is not that good on a couple of events but really good on the other events? Can they skill move up a level?
Really depends on the gym and their requirements for skills needed to move up a level.

3. How to get started as an xcel gymnast if they have never competed before?
Find some local gyms and see if they offer the Xcel program. If so, contact them to see what is needed to join the team.

4. Is scoring out needed? Say if a gymnast is good enough to go to platinum. Does she need to score out of bronze, silver, and gold?
If a gymnast has never competed before, she can start in either bronze or silver. To go to gold you need a 31AA score in silver and to go to platinum you need a 31AA score in gold. So I assume that means that she would have to do one silver and one gold meet and get a 31AA to move into platinum.

5. Can it be "too late" to join xcel? Can, for example, an incoming junior start in xcel?
It should never be too late to start. However, it really depends on you being able to find a gym that will accept you on the team.

If you haven't already, call around to gyms in your area and schedule an evaluation of your daughter. You'll be able to ask all these questions to the gym directly, and you'll probably get slightly different answers at each gym depending on how they run Xcel. I hope you're able to find something that works for her!

I can answer a few questions:
-The amount of time a gymnast spends on a level is different for everyone, some spend a year and others may need to repeat the level again.
-If a gymnast has all her skills on and a couple of events but lacks on 1 or 2 then it may or may not hold the gymnast back depending on how far behind she is on the event. For example, if she is just missing a skill or two then it could be worked around (might have a lower start value though) but if she is missing multiple then it may hold her back.
-Depending on the gym she may or not be too old. Some gyms are willing to take older gymnasts in and others are not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back