WAG Xcel Sapphire Division

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are really hoping it works out! We aren't one of the pilot regions, but we've got a high school sophomore who just finished her 4th year of diamond and was state and regional champ in multiple events and AA almost every year. She has so much room to upgrade! Plus a number of other young diamonds with a lot of potential if they had the opportunity to do sapphire.

We are looking into DD13 competing this next year. She is drastically reducing her hours (began last week), planning to make a decision in September whether she’ll aim for level 10 or Sapphire routines. Waiting to see some more details. I’m also curious how competitive sapphire will be - if there will be a big pool of athletes competing it.

I’m also curious how competitive sapphire will be - if there will be a big pool of athletes competing it.
I'm curious as well. Our gym had Diamond this past season but won't have it for the upcoming season, partially due to lack of competition. We're also in Region 8. Sapphire may be a bigger draw than Diamond, though.

I'm curious as well. Our gym had Diamond this past season but won't have it for the upcoming season, partially due to lack of competition. We're also in Region 8. Sapphire may be a bigger draw than Diamond, though.
I imagine it varies region to region and even within states. I think our gym had 12 diamonds this past season and I think there were a lot at other gyms (looking at one random local meet there were 82 XDs competing). Like most new things, I imagine a new upper levels will take time to build. I do think it could be a great option for level 8-10 girls who are burning out, facing frequent injuries and need less intense training, or just want to have a life in high school. I also wonder if it'll help keep girls in Xcel (I have to imagine there are some that quit because they don't want to be in DP and they have "maxed out" diamond and are bored).

With an 8/9 gymnast in Region 7, this is exciting news to me. We have a lot of good Diamond gymnasts, so I expect some to compete Sapphire this year. I like that there is another option if my DD decides she wants more time out of the gym during high school.

I also wonder if Sapphire will allow college age or older adults to continue competing. When I told my dd about the new division being tested out she mentioned that her gym has a XD who is in her 20s and that it might be good for her! I had no idea there were non-high schoolers on team and I think that's awesome!

Diamond meets in our area are dominated by former higher-level JO gymnasts, which can make it hard to kids who have "come up" through the excel system to compete.
Our region is not piloting, but I'm excited anyways. There's a big gap between a new Level 7 and former Level 10, and I think that upper optionals were reluctant to drop to Diamond because there would be kids far below their level or vice versa. As we've learned recently, team dynamics is big.

It would probably take a while to get going, there's only a couple Diamonds where I'm at anyways, but looking forward to the future. I'm very biased here... but I truly think gymnastics is one of the best sports there is and the more people we can keep in it the better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back