Parents XCEL Skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flippinmom

Proud Parent
Hi all!

For those of you that are at gyms who use XCEL in place of compulsories, what skills are your XCEL gymnasts competing with/working on? I understand that some XCEL teams are more laid back, but I’m curious about the skills being trained for those who use XCEL on the path to Optionals. TIA!

Hi all!

For those of you that are at gyms who use XCEL in place of compulsories, what skills are your XCEL gymnasts competing with/working on? I understand that some XCEL teams are more laid back, but I’m curious about the skills being trained for those who use XCEL on the path to Optionals. TIA!

My Gold is working towards a move to L6 next year (starting in June 2023). Her gym uses Xcel in place of compulsories but Gold is really the pool for optionals, meaning most girls who move to Platinum do not have optionals aspirations or skills.

Here is where she is at:
Floor: has double BHS, front tuck, aerial, working on ROBHBT into pit
Beam: has full turn, BWO, working on BHS step out (did it on high beam for first time yesterday!) and front tuck dismount
Vault: has half on, working on FHS - this has been hard as she is tiny and the table is a big adjustment from Silver
Bars: has kip, horizontal cast, front/back hip circles, can jump to high bar from squat on, working on flyaway

This covers a huge range of skills...are you interested in a specific xcel level?
Very true! Our gym uses XCEL bronze, silver, and gold in place of levels 3-5 (and has the girls test out of levels 4 & 5). From XG they move to optionals when they are ready. So specifically interested in silver and gold skills, I know they can be somewhat fluid in XCEL. Thanks!

I’m Silver and I compete:
Floor: RObackward roll (some girls do BH)
Handstand forward roll cartwheel
Full turn
Leap pass
I can also do front handsprings. Limbers and walkovers working on backhand spring and aerial

Bars: glide
pullover
Back hip circle
Underswing
Can also do half turn dismount and back stride circle working on squat on and kips

Beam: half turn
Cartwheel
Split jump
Handstand
Front handspring dismount
Can also do full turn connected jumps round off dismount working on back walkover

Vault: front handspring over mat vault

Our gym sounds pretty similar! Most golds have:
Floor: ROBHSBHS, ROBHSBT (or ROBT), front tuck, front handspring. Some have or are working on ariels, switch leaps, and back layouts.

Beam: BWO (some connected with a second BWO), cartwheel-cartwheel or cartwheel-handstand, full turn, back tuck dismount (my daughter does a BWO-back tuck dismount). A few girls have front tuck dismount and several have round-off (at least by itself). All are working toward BHS (not sure if anyone has it yet).

Bars: Kip (finally consistent with straight arms!), cast above horizontal, BHC, FHC, squat on, jump to high bar, tap swings, flyaway (most). My daughter can also do long-hang kip, cast handstand (on low bar), baby giant, clear hip (still working on connecting some of those skills and I'm pretty sure she won't compete any this year).

Vault: FHS (table), half-on (nearly all)

My gold has the following skills:

Floor: She has her roundoff with two back handsprings, round off back handspring back tuck, front tuck, and side aerial. She is working on getting height in her round off back handspring back tuck. She is also working front and back layouts on the trampoline and stations but not on the floor. In general, gold girls complete a roundoff back handspring or two back handsprings and most compete a front tuck.

Bars: She has her pull over, back hip circle, squat on, jump to high bar, tap swings. She has her kip but is working on getting a straight armed kip on both low and high bar. She is also working on her flyaway. In general most compete a pull over, back hip circle, squat on, jump to high bar, and tap swings to dismount.

Beam: She has handstand, back walkover, cartwheel, half turn, full turn, front tuck dismount, round off dismount, back tuck dismount, and side aerial dismount. She is able to connect two skills such as handstand to back walkover or two back walkovers. She is working on consistent full turns, higher leaps, and dismounts. She is working on back handsprings on the floor beam. In general, most compete cartwheels, handstands, or back walkover with a roundoff or front tuck for a dismount.

Vault: working on half on which is what most compete

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back