Parents Xcel to JO Too Late?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD asked me the other day why she can’t go to a college team. She’s 14 so I explained the levels and paths etc. And what most gymnasts are that go to a college team.
I sense she is absorbing on all this info.
I believe the answer is yes but wanted to seek out your opinion as well.
She is too old and too late to switch from Xcel to JO AND even if she did she is too late to be considered college level right?
I wouldn’t want to switch unless there was a strong possibility she could be even looked at for a team.
Again I think the answer is already yes but no harm in asking right?
Honestly, its never too late, if she has the skills she could move to JO

As other’s have said, xcel silver to d1-3 college gymnastics in 4 years is an extremely unlikely path. I could see it happening if an extraordinarily athletic kid came to gymnastics late, perhaps from dance or diving or cheer, and blew everyone out of the water and skipped multiple levels in the first couple years. That scenario does not involve a year in silver followed by a year in gold.

If college sports is her dream, then gymnastics is not the right venue. If she loves gymnastics and wants to keep doing it for through college, then there are lots of opportunities for that through club or rec programs.

You don’t need to burst her bubble too forcefully. Maybe just point out the range of opportunities available for a talented gymnast like her, so she doesn’t get overly focused on the least obtainable option.

If college sports is her dream, KEEP her in gymnastics and point her towards Acrobatics and Tumbling. NCAA emerging sport coming up on 51 schools to be competing within the next two years, currently already 33. Former artistic gymnasts do very well and scholarships are available. Will she be an artistic college gymnast with her current path? Maybe D3 or club.

If college sports is her dream, KEEP her in gymnastics and point her towards Acrobatics and Tumbling. NCAA emerging sport coming up on 51 schools to be competing within the next two years, currently already 33. Former artistic gymnasts do very well and scholarships are available. Will she be an artistic college gymnast with her current path? Maybe D3 or club.
I think part of the intent of Xcel Sapphire (if it is adopted) is to prepare atheletes for A&T teams. So she may be able to stay in Xcel and if she has the talent to get there. She might also want to try pole vault or diving.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back